Living in PR - from residents only please!

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“bthedog”]I am born and raised in Prince Rupert, but have also lived away from the city for a period longer than 5 years and without a doubt, the happiest times I have spent have been in this city.

It is the reason me and my wife moved back here and started our family here.

Since I have moved back, I have seen a ton of people return home…so clearly there is something about this city that sticks with people.

Rupert is great if you have lots of family and friends here and have the disposable income to live life well (quads, seadoos, boats ect).

Life is great in Rupert, we will never leave!

And LOL at those saying Terrace has better restaurants…that is the biggest joke I have ever heard. They take the cake for franchised restaurants, but Terrace doesn’t hold a candle to the private restaurants that Prince Rupert has to offer…not even Prince George can beat Rupert in that regard.[/quote]

There are plenty of good things about prince rupert you can talk about, why lie to people? Dining in rupert is mediocre at best. Terrace/PG are no prize either but they are no better or worse than prince rupert. Both terrace and PG have “private” restaurants that will challenge the mediocrity that is prince rupert dining any day.[/quote]

Ranking restaurants and eateries is an individual opinion. No one is right or wrong. We all have our own tastes. I wouldn’t base moving to a new place on other’s opinions on eateries. There are more important issues in determining whether someone should move or not.

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]

There are plenty of good things about prince rupert you can talk about, why lie to people? Dining in rupert is mediocre at best. Terrace/PG are no prize either but they are no better or worse than prince rupert. Both terrace and PG have “private” restaurants that will challenge the mediocrity that is prince rupert dining any day.

Ranking restaurants and eateries is an individual opinion. No one is right or wrong. We all have our own tastes. I wouldn’t base moving to a new place on other’s opinions on eateries. There are more important issues in determining whether someone should move or not.[/quote]

Ditto

Moving to a place based on eateries would be silly:) I still say this place like any other is what you make of it. If you are content with a simple small town with no traffic hassles and beautiful nature it is the place to be. Forget the water front of town it’s ugly and off limits, but there are many other parts to enjoy. Although distances in town are short you really need a car to enjoy all the near by beauty.

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]

Ranking restaurants and eateries is an individual opinion. No one is right or wrong. We all have our own tastes. I wouldn’t base moving to a new place on other’s opinions on eateries. There are more important issues in determining whether someone should move or not.[/quote]

I’m not disagreeing with you there are bigger things to consider than food but I think its rather disingenuous to tout the fine dining experiences in prince rupert. There are no high end restaurants just “family” restaurants with average/ok food. It’s not a critical issue but it is a pretty large quality of life issue for some and should be considered when moving to a new town especially from a bigger center. At one point in my life lack of quality dining experiences would have been a deal breaker for me.

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]

I’m not disagreeing with you there are bigger things to consider than food but I think its rather disingenuous to tout the fine dining experiences in prince rupert. There are no high end restaurants just “family” restaurants with average/ok food. It’s not a critical issue but it is a pretty large quality of life issue for some and should be considered when moving to a new town especially from a bigger center. At one point in my life lack of quality dining experiences would have been a deal breaker for me.[/quote]

But that’s where I disagree with you. You say we have just “family” restaurants with “average/ok” food. Someone else might think differently. I have been to a “fine” dining restaurant and it wasn’t any thing spectacular other than the cost. I wouldn’t let someone else’s opinion on eating establishments determine if I moved or not. Rupert has choices its just a matter if you like those choices or not.

Hecklers, trolls, and heavy breathers need not apply ! Beautiful place, lots of opportunities but, they don’t call it Prince Rumour for nothing !

Just remember, all the outdoor activities that are mentioned in this thread will be done most of the time in the rain. Golf, softball, soccer, walking/hiking, mowing your lawn, quading, camping, etc.

There really isn’t a good place to bike or rollerblade, no concerts, or theatre, or spectator sporting events. There is some difference of opinion here on the restuarants, but I would say it is somewhere in between. It is better than similar towns with only fast food dining, but there is no fine dining and some of the ethnic restaurants are hit or miss.

But most important for someone moving from elsewhere, the make or break is the isolation and gloomy climate. It can truly make some people go crazy.

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]
But that’s where I disagree with you. You say we have just “family” restaurants with “average/ok” food. Someone else might think differently. I have been to a “fine” dining restaurant and it wasn’t any thing spectacular other than the cost. I wouldn’t let someone else’s opinion on eating establishments determine if I moved or not. Rupert has choices its just a matter if you like those choices or not.[/quote]

I’m not saying rupert food is terrible I’m saying that prince rupert is not the dining mecca you all are making it out to be I don’t even know why we are still talking about this to be honest. There are not very many choices in rupert but you’re right this is subjective and I’m not going to try and argue your tastes.

Mine are obviously way different than yours. In fact I have been to maybe 3 restaurants in all of BC that I would consider great food. If there is somewhere in rupert I’m missing out on please enlighten me and I’ll give their food a try next time I’m in town.

As for moving to rupert, if you can swing it go visit and stay for a week or so and see what the place is about.

[quote=“PLA”]

You don’t sound like a guy who lived in Rupert for 25 years, let alone 6 years of absence, and regardless how many times you ever did come back.

Anyway, enjoy your cup of fair-trade environmentally friendly Americano…[/quote]

What does a guy who lived there 25 years sound like? Is his voice muffled cuz his head is the sand, because that seems to be what I’m picking up here. As for coffee, nine times out of ten it’s a Timmies. And it’s from a cool new invention called a drive-thru. Hopefully you can make it to Terrace one day and see one for yourself. But if you ever make down to the LMD, Cafe Artigiano makes a great cup of coffee as well.

[quote=“PLA”]

Just saying. Whatever feeds your materialistic attitude that makes your diva life spins, I won’t argue with that.[/quote]

Well if we are gonna toss around passive-aggressive remarks, it’s really not something I’m familiar with. Here’s my attempt … “Glad to hear you’re content living in PR. Not many people from G8 countries can enjoy the lack of service, choice and amenities in an isolated small town that had a colorful past but a dying future. Whatever makes your fundamentalist life spin. I won’t argue with that.”

How was that? Up to your standards?

Your opinions are your opinions but statements like this drive me crazy.

What is Rupert isolated from? Everything that anybody needs is here. I don’t need to shop at Old Navy or eat and the Old Spaghetti Factory. And Id rather watch the Canucks on TV than fight through traffic only to pay hundreds of dollars for tickets, beer, parking and food. And yes, Rupert is an 18 hour drive from the LMD as you call it, but the LMD is also at least an 18 hour drive from Las Vegas. Point being, no matter where you are you are far away from something.

Secondly, many communities in Northern BC have endured difficult times in recent years due to troubles in industries such as forestry and mining. Houston has a sawmill shutting down, Burns Lake had a mill burn down, Kitimat has had Methanex and Eurocan close and Prince George has had similar issues. Hazelton and Terrace have also had mills shut down. Not one of those communities has the colorful past that Rupert does and perhaps only Kitimat has as bright of a future. Unlike many of the other communities that have had to deal with tough times, we are in a position as a port community to attract other industries which is exactly what is happening. Some communities in the north do have an uncertain future… Not us.

Ummm… I’ve lived in Vancouver for 3 years, so I know how you guys use the drive-thrus in any restaurants. Don’t get me started about Timmies drive-thru in Alberta. At least the Timmies in Rupert is tame in comparison, and usually bump into people I know.

But seriously, who would give a damn about having a drive-thru?

[quote]Well if we are gonna toss around passive-aggressive remarks, it’s really not something I’m familiar with. Here’s my attempt … “Glad to hear you’re content living in PR. Not many people from G8 countries can enjoy the lack of service, choice and amenities in an isolated small town that had a colorful past but a dying future. Whatever makes your fundamentalist life spin. I won’t argue with that.”

How was that? Up to your standards?[/quote]

Most people from G8 countries aren’t cry babies. Odd that you add Russia to the mix…

130km from the nearest community is “isolated”?

Wow…

If there is one thing you can get from this thread is that Prince Rupert is very easy to love and easy to hate. It all depends on what you value in life. Myself, I grew up here. I stayed here by choice, and I’m raising my child here. I stayed here at the expense of career opportunities. Many of them. Some people just aren’t cut out for this kind of living. If you value giant malls, endless shopping opportunities, hustle and bustle, high end theatre and restaurants, and spontaneous living… this isn’t the place for you. This is slower pace living, where you know people and they know you. You can get anywhere you want, but it costs more and takes more time. You have to plan your special events and yes, it rains. Some times… a LOT. Not as much as people like to warn people about though.

I love it here. I wouldn’t, and won’t, trade it for anything.

In follow up to my earlier posts … I find this a interesting tread.
I will likely live out my days until retirement here as finding new work else where in your 50s isnt easy. Rupert has been very good to me much of my life from a financial stand point, even when I made less in the past rents were fairly low and I did okay always had what I needed. After basically around 45 years here it comes down to whether you can handle isolation and rain. As pointed out attractions such as malls and other things don’t exist here. years ago people from Terrace actually came here to shop and growing up here the shopping was fine but now days it’s non existent except for grocery stories. I buy everything out of town/ online expect food and other supplies. Terrace is great for shopping but cant say I would want to live there. I am happy to see that new development/ renos of old building is employing many young people as work has been tight here. This boom they speak of is all speculation around the LNG much of which I dont understand but glad a few people are getting some work. I know a handful of people are making great money at the port … I don’t doubt this place is turning around but I never expect it to be like back when fishing and the pulp mill provided so much. Come and spend at least a week here and decide and do it during weather that were are currently having. Lovely in the sunshine but can be a living hell in constant rain, but I stay for my employment and seek out good aspects of it …the drive from here to Terrace still takes my breath away… for beauty it’s second to no drive i know of. The sense of community here between various races/ walks of life is something unique. But as I say do a week here in rain and than decide :smile:

I wouldn’t assume that all of us here who are tolerating this town are asking for the world! Many of us are looking for the smaller things that give us some joy and that feeling of community. Farmers Market, flea market, a nice beach to walk on ( I know not in Councils control !!), the little things. I am from a big city, been there, done that though I did love it! I was a successful furniture refinisher, a hobby but I made a few bucks with it back home. I have had to give that up as there aren’t many places to buy used old furniture. Many people can’t get to Terrace, bus? Well, does it return the same day? I don’t think so and good luck now with a hotel. As for the people here, there are good people and also very click-ish ones. Many of my friends have left and no family here. That can make for a lonely time if you don’t have a support system. The isolation? That is a big factor. A town that is more centralized is much easier to live in when you know different scenery, people and vibes are only 15 minutes away ! I have always said that if you could move Rupert to a location accessible to other places within a half hour, how much better living here would be !! It is tough and I didn’t fully realize it until I spent 6 weeks back home when my Dad passed. I know I am here because it is “familiar”, my “comfort zone” and that is not a good reason to stay. We are still looking to relocate and just have to figure out the best place as at our age, it will be our last move !!

I think Rupert has a ton of selection when it comes to food:

Pub Style (Breakers, Oceanview, Cargo, Lush, Charlies ect)
Vietnamese (Pho 88, Lee & Ann, Herby’s, Bamboo Shoot ect))
Chinese (Galaxy, Stardust, Fairview, West End)
Italian (Cow Bay Cafe, P&P Pasta, La Gondola (Northern Italian too))
Pizza (Cow Bay Cafe, Panago, Rodhos, Seahorse Trading, Zorbas ect)
Greek (Rodhos, Theanne’s Greek Palace ect)
Indian (Trishan Market, The Fresh Onion)
Sri-Lankan (Zorbas)
Japanese (Opa & Fukasaku)
Fast Food (McDonalds, Subway ect)
Seafood (Dolly’s, Stiles, Waterfront Restaurant, Smiles ect)
Gourmet Burgers (Crest, Cargo ect)
Cafe/Sandwich (Prime Time, Fresh Onion, Tim Hortons, Javadotcup ect)
Steakhouse (P&P, Stiles, Waterfront Restaurant)
Ethnic Mix (Cargo)

For a city of 13,000 I would certainly say this is a wide-variety…anyone who says Rupert does not have selection has blinders on and clearly has missed some great places to eat in this city.

I have yet to see a similar sized city with as many options as this. Of course we can’t compete with a big city like Vancouver, that is ridiculous.

I’m just wondering why someone who obviously has no love lost for PR would join a message group about the area? You would think someone living in the chosen land of the lower main would have better things to do.

Plus I doubt “south of Cashe Creek” is a cultural/sociological mecca at any stretch.

[quote=“bthedog”]I think Rupert has a ton of selection when it comes to food:

Pub Style (Breakers, Oceanview, Cargo, Lush, Charlies ect)
Vietnamese (Pho 88, Lee & Ann, Herby’s, Bamboo Shoot ect))
Chinese (Galaxy, Stardust, Fairview, West End)
Italian (Cow Bay Cafe, P&P Pasta, La Gondola (Northern Italian too))
Pizza (Cow Bay Cafe, Panago, Rodhos, Seahorse Trading, Zorbas ect)
Greek (Rodhos, Theanne’s Greek Palace ect)
Indian (Trishan Market, The Fresh Onion)
Sri-Lankan (Zorbas)
Japanese (Opa & Fukasaku)
Fast Food (McDonalds, Subway ect)
Seafood (Dolly’s, Stiles, Waterfront Restaurant, Smiles ect)
Gourmet Burgers (Crest, Cargo ect)
Cafe/Sandwich (Prime Time, Fresh Onion, Tim Hortons, Javadotcup ect)
Steakhouse (P&P, Stiles, Waterfront Restaurant)
Ethnic Mix (Cargo)

For a city of 13,000 I would certainly say this is a wide-variety…anyo

Prince ne who says Rupert does not have selection has blinders on and clearly has missed some great places to eat in this city.

I have yet to see a similar sized city with as many options as this. Of course we can’t compete with a big city like Vancouver, that is ridiculous.[/quote]

prince rupert surely does have a variety of food but that list is mostly low end places with bad food or food from the back of a sysco truck thrown on a microwave or a grill. The fact you listed stardust makes me question your sanity.

I am not saying I personally like Stardust, but there certainly are other people who do…and just because you think it is shit food, does not mean it is.

I am simply trying to show that there is variety here, which that stuck up LM poster claiming this city has no restaurants. Prince Rupert has more variety than cities of similar size IMO.

Also, I have heard a TON of complaints from people who live in Prince Rupert over the years and “dining options or restaurant quality” has NEVER been one of them (unless about our lack of fast food/chained type restaurants).

Also what is wrong with a “family type” restaurant? Why are they suddenly worse than a fine-dining establishment? I also would love to hear what your idea of fine dining is.

Why?

Everytime he uses the acronym “LMD”, I think of “Loud Mouth D**che”.

LOL@ at all the concern surrounding restaurants… have the guy come here on a raining sideways day like this one… it can be a living hell LOL :smile: