Linspire

Anyone use the new Linspire FIVE-O?.. from what I’ve seen and read, its looks to be a solid operating system. Thought I’d download it anyway to check it out. Any comments, from current or previous users of Linspire(AKA Lindows)?

I will save you some money and trouble. Download a Linux distribution install crossoveroffice and of course modify it so you run as root all the time.
All the stability of your wine emulated windows programs with none of the security of linux for 60 bucks US Sweet deal :unamused: OH and I am aware you are now able to choose to create a user other than root to run as but thats not the default

Oh one thing I forgot to mention… do not try to use the apt package manager it fucks things up nicely. Try a real apt based distribution and install crossover office and you will have the same or better experience.

I would never use a Linux distro that forces you to run as root, Linspire blows.
Right now I’m running Ubuntu 5.10 on two of my Linux boxes, a very solid distro. If you want a challenge try Slackware, I’m running 10.2 and like it a lot. :smiley:

Isn’t the point of Linspire to look and feel like Windows? If so, why not just use Windows?

I’m a Mandrake/Mandriva fan, personally, and I even have it running on a laptop now.

I like Ubunto’s live CDs, they work great on the older iMacs.

[quote=“MiG”]Isn’t the point of Linspire to look and feel like Windows? If so, why not just use Windows?

I’m a Mandrake/Mandriva fan, personally, and I even have it running on a laptop now.

I like Ubunto’s live CDs, they work great on the older iMacs.[/quote]

Mandrive 2006 will be available for free downloads in a few weeks. I’ve run Mandrake 10.1 and Mandriva 2005, excellent distros. :smiley:

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“MiG”]Isn’t the point of Linspire to look and feel like Windows? If so, why not just use Windows?

I like Ubunto’s live CDs, they work great on the older iMacs.[/quote]

Mandrive 2006 will be available for free downloads in a few weeks. I’ve run Mandrake 10.1 and Mandriva 2005, excellent distros. :smiley:[/quote]

What do you thnk of the new Mandriva ? 10.1 was ok…

[quote=“hitest”]

I would never use a Linux distro that forces you to run as root, Linspire blows.
Right now I’m running Ubuntu 5.10 on two of my Linux boxes, a very solid distro. If you want a challenge try Slackware, I’m running 10.2 and like it a lot. :smiley:[/quote]

Thats wrong actually :wink: you arnt forced to run as root its just the default setting, during the install phase you can choose to create an account.

PS ubuntu rocks :smiley: and so does automatix

[quote=“jesus”]

Right now I’m running Ubuntu 5.10 on two of my Linux boxes, a very solid distro. If you want a challenge try Slackware, I’m running 10.2 and like it a lot. :smiley:

Thats wrong actually :wink: you arnt forced to run as root its just the default setting, during the install phase you can choose to create an account.

PS ubuntu rocks :smiley: and so does automatix[/quote]

Cool. Thanks, I stand corrected. That’s an improvement over earlier versions (running as root is stupid).
Does Linspire offer free versions of their software? My understanding is that you are required to pay to connect to their click and run ware house to download applications. My beef with that is the software is freely available on the Internet with other versions of Linux.
However, having said that, anything is better than windows. :smiley:

[quote=“hitest”]

PS ubuntu rocks :smiley: and so does automatix

Cool. Thanks, I stand corrected. That’s an improvement over earlier versions (running as root is stupid).
Does Linspire offer free versions of their software? My understanding is that you are required to pay to connect to their click and run ware house to download applications. My beef with that is the software is freely available on the Internet with other versions of Linux.
However, having said that, anything is better than windows. :smiley:[/quote]

Actually in the last version I used… whatever the hell it was I cant remember you could use the debian APT repositories to download software. I believe the click n run stuff was proprietary applications but I never used it because I dont like linspire and it lasted 2 days on my desktop :wink:

[quote=“jesus”]
Actually in the last version I used… whatever the hell it was I cant remember you could use the debian APT repositories to download software. I believe the click n run stuff was proprietary applications but I never used it because I dont like linspire and it lasted 2 days on my desktop :wink:[/quote]

I’ve never used it, I just bristle at pay for view versions of Linux.
I ran Suse for a time but found it to be quite buggy (Yast is weird). For the moment Ubuntu and Slackware are my distros of choice.
What are you running now? :smiley:

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“jesus”]
Actually in the last version I used… whatever the hell it was I cant remember you could use the debian APT repositories to download software. I believe the click n run stuff was proprietary applications but I never used it because I dont like linspire and it lasted 2 days on my desktop :wink:[/quote]

I’ve never used it, I just bristle at pay for view versions of Linux.
I ran Suse for a time but found it to be quite buggy (Yast is weird). For the moment Ubuntu and Slackware are my distros of choice.
What are you running now? :smiley:[/quote]

Right now, I am on my girlfriends computer so Windows XP pro fckgw, on my laptop I am running ubuntu breezy, on my servers I’m running debian sarge or Trustix Secure linux. Oh and I didnt pay for Lindows/Linspire it was a umm developer edition?

:wink:

Gotta catch the loser cruiser to rupert to get my car.

[quote=“jesus”]

Right now, I am on my girlfriends computer so Windows XP pro fckgw, on my laptop I am running ubuntu breezy, on my servers I’m running debian sarge or Trustix Secure linux. Oh and I didnt pay for Lindows/Linspire it was a umm developer edition?

:wink:

Gotta catch the loser cruiser to rupert to get my car.[/quote]

Debian is an awesome distro; I ran that for a time. apt-get is the best package management system. :smiley:

where did you get it joel. ?