Life on a meteorite?

This is a very interesting story I read that was linked on /. A scientist from NASA claims to have found proof of extraterrestrial life on a meteorite! Wow!! :smile:

Fossils of Cyanobacteria in CI1 Carbonaceous Meteorites

Ok, Hitest. Is there a test on this.? I scanned down the entire article and knew without reading that I would not understand a thing. I stopped at one random spot and read this.

The longitudinal striations of the long filament 1 and the shorter, curved filament2 are interpreted as indicating these are multiseriate filaments consisting of a bundle of multiple parallel trichomes encased within a common sheath. If the transverse striations C of filament 2 are interpreted as represent cross-wall constrictions, this would indicate that the internal cells within each trichome are ~ 4 μm in length and hence isodiametric. Consequently, the image of filament 2 is interpreted as composed of trichomes made up of spherical or cylindrical isodiametric cells of 4 μm diameter.

I thought I was reading something of Ajaye’s.

If there is a test on this I would fail it. The article is interesting though as it suggests that life exists out there. I am hopeful that this publication bears up under the verification process as this would be proof that we are not alone in the Universe. Interesting indeed! :smile:

There is life out there but the ODPP cartel (Organization of Dilithium Producing Planets) has reduced production to keep prices up and protest support within the Federation for Hebron4. The Big Three hull makers had just tooled up for Hemi Warp Engines and solar fuel cells are at least a millenium from reality. Add to that the war fleets are tied up at home protecting StarBase from O’Jabba Bin Laden.

PZ Meyers debunks the story:

scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011 … bacter.php

“Did scientists discover bacteria in meteorites? No. no. no. no.”
“they might as well throw in a bigfoot print on the surface and chupacabra coprolite from space. All will be about as convincing as this story.”
“this work is garbage. I’m surprised anyone is granting it any credibility at all.”

And this is coming from one of the pre-eminent evolutionists. Bonus points for using ‘chupacabra’ in a sentence.

[quote=“MiG”]PZ Meyers debunks the story:

scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011 … bacter.php

“Did scientists discover bacteria in meteorites? No. no. no. no.”
“they might as well throw in a bigfoot print on the surface and chupacabra coprolite from space. All will be about as convincing as this story.”
“this work is garbage. I’m surprised anyone is granting it any credibility at all.”

And this is coming from one of the pre-eminent evolutionists. Bonus points for using ‘chupacabra’ in a sentence.[/quote]

Sigh…that is not a good sign.

Sometimes I surprise even myself.

Sometimes, scientific jargon is difficult to pick up…

(Sorry if this was posted before. I can’t remember if I did it or if someone else posted this earlier this year)

I think we posted the Rockwell version a few years ago. Always a winner!

Do you think htmf is ready for another *Where is this? *round? I have a photo ready to post.

I’m in, well, for the next 5 minutes anyway, then I have a meeting. Then again later tonight.

I’ll be around for about an hour so I will post

[quote=“BigThumb”]Sometimes, scientific jargon is difficult to pick up…

(Sorry if this was posted before. I can’t remember if I did it or if someone else posted this earlier this year)[/quote]

Yeah, that was posted before, but, that guy is awesome! :smile: