Liberal sign retrieved by RCMP

Cpl. Brendan McKenna retrieves an altered Liberal Party sign from the home of Simon Thompson. The sign had been altered to read “Re-elect Roger Harris…because poor people suck.”

http://edit.bcnewsgroup.com/uploads/terrace/.DIR288/0513simonsign400X294.jpg

POLICE WERE called to a Terrace residence last night to retrieve a large Liberal candidate Roger Harris sign after it had been altered.
Earlier that day Simon Thompson went to the Harris campaign office to ask for the sign.
He took it home, typed out an additional message in large letters, stuck it to the sign and hung it from a tree on his property so it read “Re-elect Roger Harris … because poor people suck.â€

If they’re going to go through the trouble of defacing things, why not start their own party?

I can’t get over how much energy some people put into being idiots.

Very true Mig. I have family members that have a hard time getting by, and that was just a kick in the head by a bunch of eggheads! :smiling_imp:

[quote=“MiG”]If they’re going to go through the trouble of defacing things, why not start their own party?

I can’t get over how much energy some people put into being idiots.[/quote]

Because they loose anonymity, and they are immature bastards who don’t want to be found out.

can i be the first to say ‘big fuckin deal’ ???

the article is pretty lame : the cops had to get involved … why?

So what if the guy had modified the sign: it had either been given to him under stipulations in a contract between him and the lib. party or given freely by the libs. So its either : now his, or theirs to take away whenever they felt like it.

secondly, what the fuck is the point of the signs…everywhere…in the public greenspace. “this median supports gary coons”, that hillside adjacent a park supports bill belsey, what the fuck. I half-understand putting one in your yard to show you support your candidate, and by using it as a conversation item to start dialogue with like-minded or not neighbours. but polluting the public greenspace with constant reminders is silly and wasteful.

I’m glad someone finally said it, I personally hate seeing dozens upon dozens of signs all over the place. Around the court building (that’s the last place I would like to see any sign), when your driving by mc donalds, when you go to pick your kids up from school. Maybe the volunteers should have some common-fucking sense and not put signs everywhere where theres grass or dirt.

And getting the police involved? What for? All over some stupid plastic or cardboard that has a blasphemous name on it anyhow?

I wonder when they changed the law/act/whatever so election signs could stay up on and past the day of election? My mom told me today that the parties, or homeowners always had to remove all signs before the election day, but she couldn’t remember the last time she saw that happen. Could have been 30 years ago for all I know.

No, that sounds familiar. You couldn’t campaign on election day in the past. They all had to be down before midnight on the day before… Dunno when they changed that…

TO THE BAT-LETTER-TO-THE-EDITOR-MACHINE!

There were so many signs in PG this summer. Not just one sign here and there, but massive amounts of sign spam. It made no sense, there were twenty little signs for one candidate, all clustered in the same spot.

Who was the guy -Eugene Fetterly (sic?) that used to run for Mayor of PG. Signs were wooden happy faces. Much better than the usual crap, even though I don’t think he got much of a percentage of the vote.

I was driving through PG in May, and when I was heading north into the “Heart” neighbourhood or whatever the bumfuck locals call it, there was this long stretch of border-to-border Liberal candidate signs, and every single one had “LIAR” spray-painted across it in red. I thought it was cool.

Political signs in Alberta are covered in Oil, so as to be immovable from the cold, hard ground.

[quote=“Eso”]

I was driving through PG in May, and when I was heading north into the “Heart” neighbourhood or whatever the bumfuck locals call it, there was this long stretch of border-to-border Liberal candidate signs, and every single one had “LIAR” spray-painted across it in red. I thought it was cool.[/quote]

Eso, It’s the “Hart Highlands” as in the John Hart highway aka 19 north- I am guilty of being a bum fuck local :confused:

It’s the best place to live in PG.

Best place to live in PG? I passed through there when I was biking to Mackenzie; it sure didn’t look that great. The Hart looks like a scene from trailer park boys. It does get better the farther out you go, but that’s not saying much.

I hear there’s a lot of rednecks up there. Having worked with a guy from the Hart, I can vouch for the fact that they do indeed listen to country music. That’s enough evidence for me.

There’s a nice subdivision after the Hart just before the leaving PG sign. I was wiring a new house over there last week. I’d live out there, but I’ll bet that before you know it, the burbs will have spread through that area like a disease. PG has insane burbs.

Lower hart down where hart highway school used to be is kind of crappy, and it doesn’t look very special from the highway-but it’s probably the best place to live in PG still. Around Ridgeview, and the Alpine pub-vallyview…lots of good places. Cheif Lake road…north kelly…

You grew up on the hart?

I spent a considerable chunk of time on the good ol’ Hart Highway-us Hart Chicks- KRSS and all that jazz.

It is disrespectful to ask for a sign and alter it. If they are campaigning against a party hey should make there own signs or forums. People donate money to partys to campaign, they don’t want there money being used against them. It is also supposed to be illegal to take someone elses sign down.