Leaders debate

Clark was out by 2001, and the pulp mill was bailed out in 1998.
What did happen in 2001 was Gordon Campbell running on a platform to Not sell off BC rail and make it law to balance the budgets or hold each Minister personally accountable if they ran a deficet, with Ms Clark being Deputy Premiere at that time.

Consider this: when the Liberals came into power in 2001, the provincial debt stood at $33.8-billion. In 2011, it was estimated to be $45.2-billion. And we know it is only going to keep growing between now and at least 2013, if not longer."

And in the 2 years as Premiere Ms Clark has added another 11 billion to our debt.
From 2011 she stated,
‘In year-end interviews, B.C. Premier Christy Clark has been dropping strong hints that the government may not be able to meet its commitment to balance the budget by 2013, as it’s obligated to under provincial legislation. If it has to renege on this commitment, it will be the third time in recent years that the Liberal government has had to undo balanced-budget laws in order to build up more debt. And build it up it does.’

[quote=“chookie”]Spolier alert for tomorrows debate.
Bthedog,crazy, and jabber will all give the clear edge to Clark and think she hit a homerun in some sort of fashion.
Teaher will think Clark was the worst and Dix did well.
Hitest will be tired of the same old bs, Herbie in pretty much same boat,dwhite will wonder who they thought won.
I personally voted Liberal last time and will listen to Ms Clark continue to annoy the hell out of me enough to vote NDP this time around and hope Dix does well because he will likely be our next Premiere.[/quote]

Try this;
Listen to seven minutes of spin and decide which spinner won the debate.

EDIT: I hope this is the link to the spinners. cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/BC/ID/2381925942/

And speaking of spin, the CBC looks at LNG and the Liberal claims for the future. Conclusion? Mostly hype. And not that LNG isn’t worth developing and that projects shouldn’t be encouraged, but that the Liberals are basing a big part of their platform (the Prosperity Fund) on something they can’t guarantee.

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … k-lng.html

And finally one more poll, a poll that I find suspect, but I did find the analysis of the pollster and Martyn Brown (Gordon Campbell’s campaign director) on Dix’s stance on Kinder Morgan interesting.

thetyee.ca/News/2013/04/29/NDP-22-Point-Lead/

My response was in regards to the bold part of your original message, the part where you said industry development benefits the wealthy, when it clearly (and in a much bigger way) benefits regular people and the cities they develop in.

I didn’t like your flippant response to that as industry development provides for HUNDREDS of jobs in this city and I felt it was very condescending of you to say that, especially since industry development is driving this town and keeping peoples kids in your classrooms.

So ‘As the HTMF World Turns’, bthedog attacks teacher and creates a predictable stir. (chookie offers a predictable but perceptive pre - post debate spoiler alert). But behind the scenes, not addressed by the HTMF World lurks a story of daring, evil, and role modeling for parents everywhere.

vancouversun.com/news/Christ … story.html

Make particular note of the SUV ride, the discussion between child and parent, and the evil red light!

So bthedog how are you going to ‘spin’ this? It’s not directly part of the she said (X2), he said (X2) of the leadership debate but could it over shadow it?

Here’s my 2 cents (which is really 5 now that the penny is disappearing) I wonder in tonights debate if he will get asked about his skills training plan. Skills training is great if there are jobs to be filled once they are done their training, but are we training them to go work in some other province. I haven’t really heard any thing about job creation. I don’t really like the Liberals but I do think that an NDP government won’t be of any benefit to Prince Rupert. Jobs will be lost if they totally end the raw log export here.

[quote=“chien22”]So ‘As the HTMF World Turns’, bthedog attacks teacher and creates a predictable stir. (chookie offers a predictable but perceptive pre - post debate spoiler alert). But behind the scenes, not addressed by the HTMF World lurks a story of daring, evil, and role modeling for parents everywhere.

vancouversun.com/news/Christ … story.html

Make particular note of the SUV ride, the discussion between child and parent, and the evil red light!

So bthedog how are you going to ‘spin’ this? It’s not directly part of the she said (X2), he said (X2) of the leadership debate but could it over shadow it?[/quote]

I love how I am being singled out for trying to “spin” this debate…when I have not even added a comment on it at all in this thread. Perhaps your should direct your “spin” comment towards anyone else in this thread who actually commented on the debate itself.

My only response in this thread was in regard to a comment made by “teacher” stating that development only benefits the wealthy (which is not true and highly laughable).

I didn’t listen to the debate, so I have no comment on it.

Not only raw logs, but moratoriums on fracking and reductions to coal tankers would also very much impact this city. That’s my greatest concern and the one driving my “hate on” for the NDP…they have done nothing and said nothing that is going to benefit the local economy of this city…and as a long-time resident, that is a huge red flag for me.

So I guess my biggest issue is the economy and what the parties running are going to do to improve it and how EXACTLY that will impact our riding.

So far the NDP have thrown nothing our districts way in regards to what they plan to do to help our local economy.

The same can not be said of the Liberals, who have firmly stated that this region is literally the future of this province’s economic engine.

So to ask my question more specifically.

In the story I linked to above the Premier intentionally drives through a red light, and (considering her son’s comment) may have done it before. To add poor judgement to poor judgement: she does it with a Vancouver Sun reporter in the car…who is listening to and recording a conversation between the Premier and her son about whether or not to violate the law.

My question then is: how much credibility does the Premier have left to enable her to actually believably win a leadership debate? I would suggest very little but I stand to be corrected (no matter how wonderfully she performs). Unhappily it appears the outcome of the leadership debate is mute.
Even with a win I would suggest that she is not going to woo the large number of voters the Liberals need.

Isn’t it time for the Liberals to de-emphasis Clark and re-emphasis their policies using more believable spokespeople with less baggage. Sort of the BC Liberals (featuring Christy Clark in a minor role) as opposed to Christy Clark starring in The BC Liberals Play at Winning an Election.

Sorry, but it’s time to recognize that Christy Clark is a major liability…and quickly move on while there is time.

^I agree fully, that Clark running the red light was poor judgement with a reporter in her back seat, lol.

Regardless, however, is at the end of the day it was a red light at a deserted intersection at 5:15am…not exactly the biggest deal IMO. IMO it was more poor judgement because she had the reporter in her backseat, and much less the action itself.

Had she ran a red light with traffic in the area…then yes total poor judgement by putting her child in danger.

That being said…I am not voting Liberal BECAUSE of Clark…is she the best leader for the Liberals? Absolutely not…same goes for Dix and leading the NDP.

For me, it comes down to what each party plans to do in the next 4 years…two very different things…1 I fully support while the other scares the hell outta me as a taxpayer.