Knopper Disk linux

I dowload this piece of software Knoppix it is a bootable cd with a collection of GNU/Linux software (900 pre-installed)2 gigs worth. It has tons of support for graphics cards, sound cards, scsi and usb. I downloaded from there bittorrent site it took about 1/2 hr to download 699,99 megs. the newest version 3.6 is nice 3.7 will have firewall. everything I understand about this software is that it runs of the disk on-the-fly.

the only negitive thing is of course you cant save your data, say your ip configuration or email. I would think you could get around this by using a iso ripper and input the data and then turn back into a iso.(I read in there forums on how to do that) they have a huge forum base.

this software would be great in a internet caf as its easy to use. and everytime you reboot your os is back to normal to need to reformat, when it becouse corrupt or filled up hard-drive filled with useless info from websites, or viruses, I think you get the hint.
no need for a hard drive. Now i could be wrong but everything is done through ram.
A peice of software on it that is I found usefull was Airsnort. it’s used for finding wireless networks. good for wardriving… :open_mouth: check it out

Wow, new and intense man!

half hour to download 699 megs?

are you with citytel? i can barely connect to seeds/peers now a days, takes a couple days at least to get something that size. i’m not the only one experiencing this too, weird thing is, it isn’t a port issue.

yes Im with Citytel. I have the full ADSL and there bittorent is fast i was at a steady 455 Kbs its fast.
:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

back when torrents were just getting started i was gettings speeds around 525k on some torrents

anyone else having similar problems with torrents?

[quote="-Nate-"]half hour to download 699 megs?

are you with citytel? i can barely connect to seeds/peers now a days, takes a couple days at least to get something that size. i’m not the only one experiencing this too, weird thing is, it isn’t a port issue.[/quote]

Dude, I was thinking the exact same thing.

There’s only a select few torrents I’ve been able to download lately at rates higher than 20kB/s, and my average rate would be around 10 or so I believe.

There is however, every little instance where I can get something up over 200kB/s though.

I think Astrothug should give us the same torrent info and we can see how fast we get it.

http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/stats.html?info_hash=b96d3b1c044589865412d8f392cbd16825d27753

ok here u go…
I got about the same when i tried again from this torrent.
like anything else depends on net trafic, time of day, extra… :smiley:
ports =1000 to 6500 some 70000 and everything in between.
I use this cool program called Active Ports it shows the ports you are connecting to.
http://www.download.com/3000-2085-10062969.html?part=65960&subj=dlpage&tag=button

Ok, downloading… currently getting 160 K/s down, 5.1 K/s up. edit… 230 K/S down, 4.0 K/s up.

So it’s pretty fast right now. I figure that’s the top speed on my DSL, with everything else (this server, etc)

Also, I’m behind a firewall, I think I opened up some ports too, but maybe that was for gnutella, I dunno.

What ports does bittorrent use anyway?

PS Knoppix rox0rs.

linux Rules!!!