Kelowna RCMP, business as usual?

AND the rcmp wonder why people hate dealing with them, and they wonder why people pull guns out against them, weird.

bus tedddd you moron.

That should be the end of that cops career.

[quote=“upperleftcoast”]bus tedddd you moron.

That should be the end of that cops career.[/quote]

he’s on paid vacation instead.

POSSIBLE charges? WTF? There is VIDEO evidence, and it possible charges?

Yay for the introduction of marshal law.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]POSSIBLE charges? WTF? There is VIDEO evidence, and it possible charges?

Yay for the introduction of marshal law.[/quote]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law

[quote=“upperleftcoast”]

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]POSSIBLE charges? WTF? There is VIDEO evidence, and it possible charges?

Yay for the introduction of marshal law.[/quote]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law[/quote]

I know what it means, thanks.

I would say in the aftermath of the incident it has been anything but business as usual. Within a day or two high ranking members of the RCMP were condemning the actions of the constable, he was suspended almost immediately and an investigation has been wrapped up in a little more than a week; forty witnesses in eight days is pretty good:

“On Sunday, the independent Abbotsford police — brought in to conduct a criminal investigation into the incident — said their officers are recommending RCMP Const. Geoff Mantler be charged with one count of assault causing bodily harm.”

Read more: cbc.ca/canada/british-columb … z1BGpI5MPJ

It seems the Mounties have been learning.

Boy that cop is lucky it wasnt a east indian from surrey he would of had a pizza man
visting him.

[quote=“mrt”]I would say in the aftermath of the incident it has been anything but business as usual. Within a day or two high ranking members of the RCMP were condemning the actions of the constable, he was suspended almost immediately and an investigation has been wrapped up in a little more than a week; forty witnesses in eight days is pretty good:

“On Sunday, the independent Abbotsford police — brought in to conduct a criminal investigation into the incident — said their officers are recommending RCMP Const. Geoff Mantler be charged with one count of assault causing bodily harm.”

Read more: cbc.ca/canada/british-columb … z1BGpI5MPJ

It seems the Mounties have been learning.[/quote]

Learning? hardly. Whats going on with monty robinson in regards to the DUI? how about the rest of the tasering crew? They are only reacting this time due to the undeniable video evidence in this case and out of fear of potential violent reprisals. Announcing the recommendation for charges before the protest is pretty undeniable proof of that. They never ‘investigate’ that quickly.

If the RCMP keep allowing this shit to continue and rewarding it with paid vacation there will be riots in the streets. Protests generally start peaceful but history has proven once the public feels they have wasted enough time peacefully requesting change they will violently demand change.

I have nothing but complete and utter disrespect for any police force in BC/Canada due to their actions and inaction by the so called good officers.

These issues go far beyond the RCMP, the victoria, vancouver and toronto PD are equally as disgusting organizations.

Kneeing people in the head while they are on the ground is no more acceptable than kicking a guy in the head while he is on his hands and knees and do not even get me started on the g20 or the beating of the WRONG guy in response to a domestic dispute.

Policing in canada needs a fucking overhaul and officers need to be held accountable not given paid vacation. The only thing the RCMP are learning is how to placate the public. Until there is actual accountability and the so called good officers stand up and demand it I will have 0 respect for any police officer in this country.

Now thats not to say I do not respect any officers as people some of them are great people… professionally though well every time they keep their mouth shut they show how little professional integrity they have.

Hrm… I really went on a rant there.

Whether an accused person is a police officer or not evidence is required to support a charge. He’s suspended (without pay) and awaiting trial for obstruction. What more can the RCMP do? BTW, the other guy was also intoxicated.

At this point what more can the RCMP do? The matter has been referred back to Crown counsel. My point was that they did not handle the Kelowna incident the same as the YVR incident. I’m sure the Commissioner did not phone Cst. Mandler and offer him emotional support.

There’s been “undeniable video evidence” in other cases where the party line was something like “the video doesn’t accurately capture the whole story” or the officer has been “reassigned to administrative duties” or “our investigation is ongoing and we cannot comment”. This time you had senior managers condemning the actions before an investigation, before the matter went to court, etc. That is a profound shift from how business was done.

What would you have them do? What would gain your respect? I’m sure they’re as hungry for reform as anyone else. I’m sure they would love to get people out of the job that should never have been in the job in the first place. A lot of those changes need to come from Parliament with amendments to the RCMP Act. None of the changes can come from Joe constable patrolling the streets.

If a teacher at a school is charged with having sex with a student and the rest of the teachers at the school (and profession wide I guess) don’t say anything publicly, continue doing their jobs to the best of their ability and did their best to stay out of trouble do they have “little professional integrity”?

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law

I know what it means, thanks.[/quote]

I was just correcting your spelling.

Hey, credit due to the RCMP in this case too.

Ha!

They did the right thing – brought another police force in to investigate.

Yeah, believe it or not I think they’re finally learning from their mistakes.

Oh and I can attest that the vast majority of RCMP members support positive change within the organization and want their members to be held accountable for their mistakes. It’s not like everyone sits behind closed doors and talks about how we can hide our problems and support our members who did wrong doing.

I think that things always have a way of making themselves work out, the old way wasn’t working so now changes are having to be made. (I always think of one of my favourite songs in times like these Bob Dylan - The times are a changin) If you don’t swim you sink and I think that’s what’s happened here we’ve left some old fashioned ways of dealing with problems go on for too long and the times have changed and we haven’t changed with them - quickly enough. I personally hope to see some drastic changes within the system and I defiantly hope that these changes are implemented sooner then later. (I think we’re on the right path with this most recent case) The public needs to be back on the side of the police and we need to do some hard work to win them back over. If everyone collectively worked together (Community / Police force) we would be a lot more successful in our ultimate goal of safe homes, safe communities (yes corny but true).

The gang war-fare that is going on down here (LMD) is of great concern however it seems that more people are focussing on the actions of the police (which is a valuable concern) then that of the gangsters. Things are a little backwards and I hope they get switched around soon.