June 16 is Bloomsday

So who here has read Ulysses?

the whatta??

James Joyce’ Ulysses, the greatest novel of the 20th century, takes place 100 years ago today.

Ulysses, the greek god that seiged Troy.

Thank goodness for Google. At least they had it marked down on their calendars. Maybe next year I’ll remember, nah, no I won’t., but Google remembers all those really important things so I don’t need to.

No, that Ulysses was a man, also known as Odysseus.

Can’t help you. Gagged my way thru that in Englight Lit at UBC and can’t bring myself to read JJ to this day. Coles notes?

“If it was anygood, they woulda mada a Classics Comic Book outa it”

Sparknotes

after my time. Did you like Ulysses? I forget more than I remember. One of those how miserable is old Ireland like Angelas Asses or was that the Dubliners…
I also remember Heart of Darkness. 80 pages and 500 of analysis. YuK! Switched to creative writing, and i used to have a rejection slip from the National Lampoon pinned in my study. That was worth way more than the degree…

Bloomsday schmoomsday.

It’s my birthday!

Happy Birthday!!!

That book was awful to read, but once you started understanding the symbolisms and such, it was pretty interesting.

It made watching Apocalypse Now so much more the tits!

I just dug out the text we used for Heart of Darkness. It was a Norton Critical Edition. No wonder I hated it: Norton SNORT SNORT!
Bloated, inneficient and difficult to struggle through. That’s NORTON all the way :laughing:

I knew lots of Vets, even worked with one who deserted from the riverboats. Many said the scene at the bridge was the war in a nutshell. You just sat there at night shitting your pants and shooting at anything and counted off the days til the end of your tour.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]I just dug out the text we used for Heart of Darkness. It was a Norton Critical Edition. No wonder I hated it: Norton SNORT SNORT!
Bloated, inneficient and difficult to struggle through. That’s NORTON all the way[/quote]

Wasn’t that book originally written in English? It doesn’t matter what “edition” it was, it’s the same words.

Not like reading a turn of the 20th century Wordsworth edition of The Karamazov Brothers, versus the latest Penguin edition. There it’s a translation and it does matter.

You found the book “difficult to struggle through” not because of the “edition,” but rather because you are a fucktard.

Actually, pretty much every edition of Heart of Darkness is different. Lots of different edits, some editions much shorter than others, some abdriged in various ways.

the story was ok. the critical shit was '*crap.

'* In the orginal manuscript the author actualy stated Conrad’s Heart of Darkness was ok. The editors of the original reply also substituted the word crap for * distracting, annoying and confusing *to take into account the limited vocabulary and attention span of modern readers. In this edition the editors here at Flumbert&Fluevog also omitted entirely the author’s response * and hosh is being a dick again * in the interest of being concise and for reasons of common decency.
c 2004 F&F abridged edition of Herbie’s reply

You really think substituting a few words made it “difficult to struggle through” for herbie?