Jennifer Rice wins nomination

What hubris! She doesn’t have to resign immediately. Everyone knew her stance, at least they should have, when she ran for council. Democracy is a messy business and opposing opinions are allowed.

Hopefully this doesnt ruin the NDP stronghold in the north
Jen will cause alot of problems due to her environmental friendliness
and that could ruin any potential big projects in the north

legally she shouldn’t your right but to collect money from the ppl of Prince Rupert as a councillor, while running for a political party, by the way I think any municipal politician should resign if running for a political party once they get nominated no matter which city or party they are in, should not be allowed, her attention will not be on the citizens of Prince Rupert but on her getting elected MLA. Morally she should step down so we can elect someone that will give their attention wholly to the citizens that pay them their salaries especially with all these LNG plants proposals, will she be able to handle all her duties or be distracted, will her chances of being elected MLA taint any discussions council will have on them?

[quote=“Quarter Milli”]Hopefully this doesnt ruin the NDP stronghold in the north
Jen will cause alot of problems due to her environmental friendliness
and that could ruin any potential big projects in the north[/quote]

This is one of the things wrong with the NDP. They want to be the party for environmentalists, and unions, and natives, but they are going to find out that they can’t be everything to everyone. I wonder if your MLA is going to represent the ideals that got her nominated, or the wishes of her constituents (if they differ).

Great…just what we need…someone representing this riding who is against LNG development in Prince Rupert…yet her own party is for it!

Jennifer Rice will doom this riding…

Hi Everyone,

My name is Lee Brain, I’ve worked on Jen’s municipal campaign, as well as assisted on her current NDP nomination campaign.

I appreciate people’s passion here, but unfortunately assumptions are being made, and statements have been said that are just not based on factual information.

Just to be clear, Jennifer Rice has never been on record speaking out against LNG. I’m not exactly sure where you got that from. My guess is that you are confusing her stance on the Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline Project, which she has been a clear advocate against that particular development.

Honestly, I would encourage anyone in doubt to sit down with Ms. Rice in person, over a coffee, and have a conversation with her about your concerns and your perspective on the region. Then base your opinion from there. I know she would be more then happy to talk. You can find her contact information on the city website.

My time working alongside her has shown me that she is diligent and thoughtful in her work. She is very well researched and also very astute around the issues of economic development. It’s clear to me that she is well aware of the balance needed between environmental sustainability and economic growth.

Over time, my belief is that people will come to understand why she is the right person for the job. For now, it’s “trust through delivery” - and it’s only fair that every new person that enters the political arena be given a chance to prove themselves to their riding. Gary Coons is a fantastic leader, but he did not develop the respect he has over night either.

She also still needs to win the election in May to be hired for the job, and even then the legislature doesn’t sit until September. So there is still ample time in regards to her council duties.

So let’s be patient before we start jumping to conclusions. I get that in the past mistakes have been made by all parties, but it’s a new day and time will only tell what will come.

Sincerely,

Lee

[quote=“bthedog”]Great…just what we need…someone representing this riding who is against LNG development in Prince Rupert…yet her own party is for it!

Jennifer Rice will doom this riding…[/quote]

It seems that you may have been mistaken about her position on LNG.

^^^Its quite possible…if what Mr. Brain is saying is true, then I will take back my comments on her not supporting LNG…but that doesn’t mean I support her or her views or anything her party represents.

That being said, has she ever come out on record in SUPPORT of LNG? Is she going to be welcoming this investment with open arms? We are talking BILLIONS of investment for a region that is desperately in need of it…I am very skeptical that she would actually support any type of oil & gas activity in our region. One only has to look at her line of work to see why.

So while she may not be on record as being against LNG…that certainly doesn’t mean she supports it or ever would. And until she goes on record in support, I will remain HIGHLY skeptical and I think others should be as well.

I challenge her to come out and clearly state her intentions on LNG development in this riding…openly and honestly…so that everyone has a very clear picture of where she stands and exactly what type of role she will play in helping to bring this development to our region.

Oh and I have nothing personally against her…I don’t think she is a bad person or anything…I think she should be commended for running at all…but do I see her as the person who is going to lead this riding into economic prosperity? Absolutely not!

[quote=“bthedog”]^^^Its quite possible…if what Mr. Brain is saying is true, then I will take back my comments on her not supporting LNG…but that doesn’t mean I support her or her views or anything her party represents.

That being said, has she ever come out on record in SUPPORT of LNG? Is she going to be welcoming this investment with open arms? We are talking BILLIONS of investment for a region that is desperately in need of it…I am very skeptical that she would actually support any type of oil & gas activity in our region. One only has to look at her line of work to see why.

So while she may not be on record as being against LNG…that certainly doesn’t mean she supports it or ever would. And until she goes on record in support, I will remain HIGHLY skeptical and I think others should be as well.

I challenge her to come out and clearly state her intentions on LNG development in this riding…openly and honestly…so that everyone has a very clear picture of where she stands and exactly what type of role she will play in helping to bring this development to our region.

Oh and I have nothing personally against her…I don’t think she is a bad person or anything…I think she should be commended for running at all…but do I see her as the person who is going to lead this riding into economic prosperity? Absolutely not![/quote]

Here’s a thought…phone her and ask.

[quote=“Piknic”]

Here’s a thought…phone her and ask.[/quote]

That really shouldn’t be necessary. Ms Rice will have abundant opportunity to state her position on LNG (whatever it is) in public during the election campaign, and on other issues as well.

RE: to piknic

Why should I?

I shouldn’t have to call her…she is a public figure running for public office…we should ALREADY know her “official” stance on LNG, considering this is the biggest future development for the North Coast.

Also I want to see her publicly declare her intentions for all to hear and see.

[quote=“bthedog”]RE: to piknic

Why should I?

[/quote]

Oh I don’t know, I would think if you are so concerned you’d take 5 minutes to ask her.

Oh I don’t know, I would think if you are so concerned you’d take 5 minutes to ask her.[/quote]

I’ll wait until she goes on record to the public about it…since this is the biggest project planned for our region…she certainly should have a very public stance on it.

Regardless of her answer…I won’t be voting for her anyways.

[quote=“Piknic”]
Oh I don’t know, I would think if you are so concerned you’d take 5 minutes to ask her.[/quote]

No the test for whether someone is “so concerned”, or whether there is an important issue, isn’t whether or not they phone the candidate at home or at work. In time the candidate will state her party’s position, which may or may not be the same as her personal views. From what I understand the NDP supports LNG. That’s just another issue that they haven’t been very vocal about. That will probably change as the campaign gets going.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“Piknic”]

No the test for whether someone is “so concerned”, or whether there is an important issue, isn’t whether or not they phone the candidate at home or at work. In time the candidate will state her party’s position, which may or may not be the same as her personal views. From what I understand the NDP supports LNG. That’s just another issue that they haven’t been very vocal about. That will probably change as the campaign gets going.[/quote]

In all fairness to Piknic, I think he agrees with you, as do I.

However, If bthedog is looking for an answer that should ALREADY be known, an answer to a question that was answered by a close campaign worker, and an answer to a question that won’t change his mind anyway, then perhaps he should phone her. Otherwise he should be patient and wait for the campaign like you, Piknic, myself and the rest of us are doing.

I would hope now that regardless of her stance on the issues, she would have the class to step down as councillor for a by-election.
Think of how bad the optics are on this one:

“Thanks so much for electing me to represent the citizens of Prince Rupert. I’m going to go try getting a higher paying job representing people from outside of Prince Rupert while you guys continue to pay me. If I win, I’m sorry but we will need to part ways. But if I lose, all good! I’ll still be here to represent you guys!”

actually she did state that over the radio last year, the clip was on CBC radio

her interview or statement was we shouldn’t be building LNG plants and she opposed them because we are exporting pollution,

basically the same thing enviromentalists are saying about coal exports

[quote=“dagojols”]I would hope now that regardless of her stance on the issues, she would have the class to step down as councillor for a by-election.
[/quote]

That’s a little unfair. Everyone has the right to apply for whatever job they want, when they want to. If a better opportunity comes along why shouldn’t she apply for the job? That would be the same as saying to you that you should stay in your job because it will be inconvenient for your boss to find a replacement for you. This is Canada, people shift from job to job. I don’t see a problem with this.

it isn’t unfair , say you had a big project due for your boss and you are looking for a job elsewhere, would you give 100% to that project? especially if your boss knew you were looking elsewhere? wouldn’t it be fair for you to tell him to give it to someone else other than you? and if you couldn’t do your job under that situation shouldn’t you resign?

Prince Rupert has alot of prospective investments coming here, whether them actually come or not, which means all our councillors should give their all to it, if they can’t because of seeking a job elsewhere then resign so we can elect someone that can give their all.

[quote=“dagojols”]I would hope now that regardless of her stance on the issues, she would have the class to step down as councillor for a by-election.

“Thanks so much for electing me to represent the citizens of Prince Rupert. I’m going to go try getting a higher paying job representing people from outside of Prince Rupert while you guys continue to pay me. If I win, I’m sorry but we will need to part ways. But if I lose, all good! I’ll still be here to represent you guys!”[/quote]

The councillors are not paid salaries; they’re paid according to the meetings they attend, and they hold an office not a ‘job’. Councillors don’t have to give up their day jobs or other commitments, whatever that may be, in order to be councillors. If Ms Rice continues to attend council meetings during the campaign she’ll be paid, if she doesn’t she won’t. Under section 110 of the Community Charter, though, she will be disqualified from her position as a councillor if she is absent for 60 consecutive days or 4 consecutive regularly scheduled council meetings, whichever is longer, unless she gets leave from the council.

[quote=“Jabber63”]actually she did state that over the radio last year, the clip was on CBC radio

her interview or statement was we shouldn’t be building LNG plants and she opposed them because we are exporting pollution,

basically the same thing enviromentalists are saying about coal exports[/quote]

Interesting. If that’s inconsistent with the NDP’s position on LNG she’ll have to recant. She’s not running as an independent or for the Greens.