Japanese Robot Knows Words

And can house SIT!!!

[quote]TOKYO - A child-shaped humanoid robot that can recognize about 10,000 words and work as a house sitter will go on sale in Japan in September.

The “Wakamaru” robot can recognize the faces of up to 10 people and talk to them. When linked to mobile phones, it can also work as a monitor to check situations at home, such as a burglary or someone falling ill, Mitsubishi-Heavy Industries Ltd. said in a statement Monday.

Mitsubishi-Heavy said it would be the first time a robot with communication ability for home use has been sold.

“This is the opening of an era in which human beings and robots can coexist,” it said.

Mitsubishi-Heavy said it will start taking orders for “Wakamaru” from Sept. 16, and plans to sell 100 of the one meter- (3.3 feet-) tall, 30 kilogram (66 pound) robots at about 1.58 million yen (US$14,300; euro11,619) for residents in central Tokyo.

The owner’s schedule can be programmed in advance and Wakamaru can give a wake-up call and remind them of the day’s events.

The robot will be on display at three locations in Tokyo including the company’s showroom from Sept. 16.

WOW! :open_mouth: [/quote]

They’re YEARS ahead of us…

:open_mouth:

[quote=“Pandemic”]They’re YEARS ahead of us…

:open_mouth:[/quote]

Only when it comes to technology, friends. In other ways, it’s as if they’re still stuck in the dark ages.

Or maybe we’re the ones stuck in the dark ages.

Mike

[quote=“CrazyMike”]Or maybe we’re the ones stuck in the dark ages.

Mike[/quote]

Depends on what you’re looking at, I guess.

I agree. Aside from a lack of useable land, I see little that we have and they don’t.

Mike

Man, how many times do we have to be warned by movies: don’t give robots intelligence! Fools! :open_mouth:

No kidding guys. And they are going to depend on someone to save us if these robots start taking over the world. Who they gonna call? Will? :laughing:

[quote=“dylan”]I agree. Aside from a lack of useable land, I see little that we have and they don’t.

Mike[/quote]

Sorry I took so long to respond to this post, but I was at work when I read it, and though there aren’t that many people at my school who can read English, I didn’t want to take the chance of someone standing over my shoulder and reading disparaging remarks about their country.

Now that I’m home, I can tell you about a few areas where Japan is quite far behind Canada.

For starters, oral contraceptives were illegal in Japan until a few years ago. This was ostensibly because of a “higher risk of ovarian cancer” (and many doctors still try to instill fear into their patients by drilling this point into them), though there were two more sinister reasons. The first was that it allowed women to control reproduction, which threatened a lot of men. The second was that it cut into the OB/GYNs’ very lucrative abortion practices. (Japan doesn’t have the same taboos about abortion as the west does).

Another area that lags behind is traffic safety. While Japan does have some of the safest cars in the world, people still drive much more recklessly than in the west. They routinely drive insanely fast, talk and even e-mail each other on their cell phones while driving, and watch TV on their on-board navigation screens. To say nothing of the fact that many parents eschew car seats for children in favour of holding their infants in their arms. Many people also allow their young children to ride in the front seat without seatbelts. These children can often be seen pressing their faces against the windshield. I see it every day.

Plus, race relations in this country are, at times, abhorrent. There is no law stopping a business putting a sign in front of their business saying “Japanese only” or “no foreigners allowed.” Even if a non-asian is a naturalized Japanese citizen, they will still bar him or her entry, saying that they look foreign so that’s reason enough. Even the deep south of the United States–arguably with one of the worst records for race relations in the world–outlawed that practice over forty years ago.

And let’s not also forget the fact that it’s a very poorly kept secret that many schoolteachers over here tacitly approve of bullying as a method of controlling students who are different from the others. And by different, I don’t mean disruptive or lazy. I mean those who excel and don’t try not to stand out–yes, you read that right, don’t try not to stand out.

And while it’s true that Japanese schoolchildren routinely outperform their North American counterparts on standardized tests, this is mostly because they’re taught how to take tests, not how to understand things. The Japanese school system uses rote learning to drill facts and figures into their students, but it teaches them next to nothing about how to interpret that information, or how to think critically. Again, this is something I see every day.

Yes, Japan may have great technological innovations. But a society cannot progress on technology alone.

Don’t get me wrong–I’m not saying that Japan’s a bad country. I’ve lived here for five years; if I thought it was that bad, I would have left years ago. But I think it’s important to dispel the myth that Japan is this wonderfully advanced country that’s so much better than Canada. Canada has a lot to be proud of. People shouldn’t forget that.

What a well though Intellectual response to this topic.
But your WRONG! C-.

Next!

robots are great and all, but would somebody please think of the children.

[quote=“X3”]What a well though Intellectual response to this topic.
But your WRONG! C-.

Next![/quote]

I see. And you know this by virtue of the fact that you’ve lived here in Japan for how many years?

Oh and by the way, it’s “you’re wrong”, not “your wrong”.

[quote=“Stardog Champion”]

[quote=“X3”]What a well though Intellectual response to this topic.
But your WRONG! C-.

Next![/quote]

I see. And you know this by virtue of the fact that you’ve lived here in Japan for how many years?

Oh and by the way, it’s “you’re wrong”, not “your wrong”.[/quote]

Yeah, and what does “*well though *intellectual response” mean? Not a very well thought out putdown.

What ever dudes. Sorry I dont have the Edua ma cation like most WHITE PEOPLE GET! I am from the rez. Not much learning here. FUCKHEAD!
And don’t edit this…

Hey, X3, you can dish it out but you can’t take it, huh? After all, you started it with Stardog by grading his message on Japan. And, please, don’t pull the race card. As a First Nations person myself, I find it offensive.

?. I could take it! I just can’t take that fact that grammar is a fucken issue here. Do you need Honour Role grade to make comment here?
daemon is right about some…

Oh hey, they made things easy for us first nations…Spell check.

Thank you.

[quote=“X3”]? Do you need Honour Role grade to make comment here?
daemon is right about some…[/quote]

No, but the Honour Roll might not hurt.