James gives NDP no chance

It’s not really a double standard–the Premier didn’t demand that Ray Lam resign, but that the NDP take responsibility. That’s not a double standard, as Gordon Campbell took responsibility for his misconduct by pleading guilty to the charges that he faced in 2003.

I do not disagree with Krissy’s original point that this issue is old. And I accept that Gordon “Gordo” Campbell is the premier.

I guess what I tried to bring up in the Ray Lam response to Mary McNeil was that neither really had done much to show public leadership. Politicians are not just account managers. That to me denigrates a very important role in society. It’s akin to saying a priest, imam or rabbi is a social function-facilitator.

To me this isn’t just about Gordo or Mama James. It’s about how hold politicos accountable for, and its a healthy debate.

And of course there are mitigating factors to all questions.

And so, to bring this thread to a less accusatory feel, how do we hold politicians accountable and what does the dwindling voter base want to know and feel like they have the right to know?

Of course, he didn’t fight it - he was busted dead to rights! Twice the legal blood alcohol limit and driving on the other side of the road. To fight it would have been pointless and, more importantly, political suicide. No, he did the smart political thing: go on TV, say your dad was an alcoholic, and weep.

But it was obvious that he and his fellow Libs didn’t get it when they described it as a “personal mistake” committed on his own time - as if he had bet on the wrong horse at a race track! That sounds like denial and downplaying, not taking responsibility.  

Eccentric, it’s called messaging my man. he doesn’t have to say “resign” because he can bury the man by saying “the NDP should take responsibility”. if they don’t “take responsibility” he can accuse them of being callous. If they do, then he can say “look at who they run as candidates”. I’m not saying it’s a stupid tactic.

I’m saying it’s a double-standard because on issues surrounding scandalous behaviour, he should remain mum and humble having of course been through his own mistake AS AN ALREADY ELECTED OFFICIAL!

The double standard is that Gordon Campbell repeatedly said that elected officials convicted of criminal offenses should resign.  In fact he often said that elected officials that were charged (not necessarily convicted) of crimes should resign.

Again, “Do what we say, not what we do!”

Ah yes, I had forgotten that particular snapsot; but then some of these “moral” issues aren’t really that memorable are they.

What are the NDP supposed to take responsibility for? Drunken behaviour before Lam was a candidate? No, I think there is a double standard. Gordo is supposed to take responsibility for his wrong-doing and resign, but NDP leaders are supposed to take responsibility for other people’s wrong doing, by resigning like Mike Harcourt did, I guess. All of these rules and standards really get confusing sometimes. 

When the NDs succumbed to the fear of some negative clucking about their Candidate, I was disapointed, for that mans age group those facebook pics were pretty tame and I’m quite sure it wasn’t the first time that womens breast had been fondled.

More googling  (after Campbell’s  arrest but before his return to BC.)

Vaughn Palmer, Vancouver Sun
Politicians do survive controversies over their drinking problems. Ralph Klein is the most obvious example.  But I have my doubts that a premier lacking in Mr. Klein’s charms – a premier whose policies have been as severe as his stance on the conduct expected of those who hold high office, a premier who took office on a promise to impose a new era on the squalid B.C. political scene – can survive this embarrassment.
My guess is he and his advisers will try to gauge the public response over the next day or so, then decide whether he should ask the public to forgive him, or throw in the towel.

Les Layne, Times Colonist
But part of that decision, a part they’d like to forget, is: What standard have Campbell and the B.C. Liberals expected of others over the long years he was opposition leader? And that works decidedly against him staying on. Campbell called for resignations throughout the New Democrat years.
But the biggest factor is what you think about all this. Campbell’s future is hanging on a public opinion verdict that is just forming this morning, based on the facts – assuming they are all out – his acknowledgment and apology, his police mugshots and everyone’s preconceived notions about drinking and driving. If B.C. swings hard against him, he’ll have to go. If you back him, or split, he’ll stay.

Precedent
Richard Hatfield of New Brunswick, the only premier charged with a Criminal Code offence while in office, stayed in his job while awaiting trial on a marijuana charge. He was eventually acquitted of possession of pot, which was found in his suitcase during the Queen’s visit in 1984.

Again, it is a political not a moral decision.  Had people been angry enough, had Liberals demanded his resignation then he would have been gone.  We/they weren’t, so he stayed.

Clearly, British Columbians are more offended by the POSSIBILITY of a premier using his influence to get himself a deck built for free than they are by one who gets hammered, endangers the lives of others, smiles in his mugshots, then calls it a private matter.

… only if taking such ‘offence’ is politically expedient for some.

maybe the NDP is just scared that by not resigning or stepping down every time something happens, they will be hurt come election time.  It’s not like they are being forced by the liberals to do these things. 

I am going to make another suggestion to this discussion.

If we insist that ALL of our elected officials have never made mistakes - that they are all lily white - do you think that they would actually understand the rest of us imperfect people?

Even Obama said “I inhaled frequently. That was the point.” This life experience gives him insights into the people he is elected to govern - yet he is being accountable to his previous actions. Not defensive, not denying, not waiting for media spin control to message it for him - accountability in action.

However, when someone in an already elected position starts behaving as though they are above or outside of the law - time for some harder accountability.

Paraphrasing:
If you actually do look like your mugshot, you really do need to be in jail.