It Couldn't Happen Here!

Absolutely Chilling

cbc.ca/fifth/2010-2011/enemiesofthestate/

Doesn’t suprise me at all…

What makes you think that our government, even back then was any different than the US? heh…

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]Doesn’t suprise me at all…

What makes you think that our government, even back then was any different than the US? heh…[/quote]

Good point! The most chilling thing is that this is still going on. The documentary makes clear that CSIS is continuing on in the same traditions as were prevalent during the cold war and commie witch hunts as we saw during the G20 meetings. The fact that over 75% of the charges against people that were arrested at the G20 demonstrations seems to lend further credence to the fact we are still living in a police state.

cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/ … gs949.html

Just remember, cops love YouTube:

“G20 Toronto cop who was afraid of girl blowing soap bubbles sues YouTube for “ridicule””

boingboing.net/2010/10/17/g2 … p-who.html

I loved the reaction of the female officer. She appears stunned at her partner behaviour.

Maybe if that guy wasnt such a bitch people wouldnt make fun of him. Oh noez the bubbles are assaulting me. If I worked with this guy I’d buy him a nice big 2l bottle of bubbles every day for a year.

The fall out from his lawsuit it seems could be in the form of less opportunity for anonymous commentary on the inter tubes.

vancouversun.com/news/Toront … story.html

It will be interesting to see what further effect lawsuits such as this will have on the free speech aspect of the internet.

I’m not particularly sure how blowing bubbles constitutes assault (unless of course you have a soap allergy I guess) still in a world full of mind numbing and pointless lawsuits, (this one seems to revolve around the comments made about his reaction to the bubble blowing) what’s one more dip in the well I suppose.

Still, at the risk of getting added to the docket list, unless something else happened outside of the view of the many cameras seemingly in place, it does seem like a rather grand over reaction and should have been handled far differently.

You know… Canada pisses me off. Why the fuck are we trying to limit free speech to what the majority finds acceptable. Fuck the majority if you cant handle my comments dont listen. If I’m inciting a riot then yes absolutely arrest me for that but jesus christ just because your mommy coddled you too much and you cant handle someone making fun of you for being assaulted with bubbles does not mean you should have a right to sue me. If the guy wasnt such a fucking pussy none of this would affect him at all.

I hope the judge throws this out and then blows bubbles at the cocksmoker. I want to become a cop just so I can sit in an office and blow bubbles at this guy until i get suspended with pay.

Another interesting case involves a British blogger called “Night Jack”, who (ironically in view of the above story) was a serving police officer. He posted a diary telling both the good and bad about his day job. At the peak of his popularity his reports attracted up to 500,000 hits a week. He was awarded the prestigious Orwell Prize for political journalism (Iggy was a winner, by the way, during happier times as a journalist).

However, the Times newspaper pieced together his true identity by matching his accounts with cases that the media was covering. Night Jack tried to get an injunction to prevent the Times from revealing his identity, but the court refused. His identity revealed, he was disciplined, had to shut down the blog and political journalism about the issues he covered has been poorer ever since. His story also illustrates the somewhat rocky relationship between the mainstream media and the blogosphere, something that is not entirely unknown in this forum.

Here are some links to this rather sad story about free expression denied:

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/8103731.stm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Ho … blogger%29

Interesting read… but I have an urge to stab you in the face for using the ‘word’ blogosphere

[quote=“MiG”]Just remember, cops love YouTube:
"G20 Toronto cop who was afraid of girl blowing soap bubbles sues YouTube for “ridicule”[/quote]

The officer is suing the website over cartoons which he claims depict an officer resembling him abusing police power. Cartoons have surfaced showing a policeman arresting such people as Santa Claus and Barack Obama. Josephs said in a statement of claim the cartoons have subjected him to ridicule and resulted in threats against him and his family.

“This level of ridicule goes beyond what is reasonable,” James Zibarras, the officer’s lawyer, told the Globe and Mail. “The reason we brought the lawsuit is that people have the right to protect themselves against this kind of harassment.”

Perhaps the courts will tell him that it wasn’t the cartoons that subjected him to ridicule, it was his over the top behaviour at the G20. Nice to see his lawyer has a sense of the absurd making the following ironical comment … “The reason we brought the lawsuit is that people have the right to protect themselves against this kind of harassment.”

Yes, yes, whatever. I’ve never professed to be an expert on the inter tube and its lingo. What word would you prefer?

[quote=“BTravenn”]

Yes, yes, whatever. I’ve never professed to be an expert on the inter tube and its lingo. What word would you prefer?[/quote]

If most of his posts are to be the guide, one imagines it would have to be something with a string of curse words as the exclamation point!

[quote=“BTravenn”]

Yes, yes, whatever. I’ve never professed to be an expert on the inter tube and its lingo. What word would you prefer?[/quote]

how about blogs, web logs… somethign along those lines.