Is there too much beef in your beef?

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]Oh for hell’s sake!

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110125/bc_taco_bell_beef_110125/20110125?hub=BritishColumbiaHome
[/quote]

Thank-You. Now what is the big deal about cutting and pasting a URL. In your case above you could have made it shorter by not using %between%. Just cut and paste the url. This is what you get.
ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca … lumbiaHome

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]
I just don’t really understand what the big deal is, you’re being tracked at HTMF. Mig has all of our IP addresses. What is the big deal? Do they publish your IP address or something? Don’t most sites know what your IP address is? Doesn’t Google track your likes and dislikes? [/quote]

I think its good policy to limit your info if you can. Every time someone posts a bit.ly link I am also giving my ip and some tracking info to the person who posted the link and bit.ly. Why? Why does an anonymous poster need this information from me? In the name of URL shortening? Bullshit!!! Plus, If I was a nasty person and had a grudge against you I could easily locate your ip using a URL-shortener service and could make your internet experience from then on a very frustrating one. It is not in my nature to do this, but there are many others that would. So why would I give my IP to anonymous posters on a bulletin board? Yeah, one could use a proxy but you have to admire the absurdity in your browser going to a proxy, then to bit.ly and then to the source site in the name of URL-shortening, LOL!!

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]
Didn’t we have a discussion about privacy issues when the google ads first came onto this site? I said I didn’t like the fact that they knew what I searched for, and Mig said it was normal, and basically I had to suck it up and deal with it? What exactly is the difference between the two things? I’m not trying to argue with any of you, I just honestly don’t understand what the difference is.[/quote]

Huh? Your using Google as a search engine and you don’t like the fact they know what you are searching for? Maybe I am missing something… At any rate there are differences between Google having my Ip and some info than an anonymous poster and a self proclaimed Url-shortening service. For one I can at least trust Google more so than a service designed for tracking but calls itself a URL-shortening service. For the most part Google is usually trying to use this info to better their technology to my benefit. What are these URL-short. service companies doing with this information? Why would an anonymous poster need this info?

Speaking of phpBB is the ‘newly registered user’ group set up? Never see real spam on htmf.
(need moderator approval for the first X number of posts. Stops those dorks who actually sit there registering on every forum to get past the captcha and post their crap)

And addressing the subject, i decided to try Taco Del Merde instead.
The girl pointed to the trays of filling and asked beef, pork or chicken?
I answered WTF’s the difference? They all look like they leaked out of a diaper.

Yes, we did two things to eliminate spam. We changed from an image CAPTCHA to a question and answer one. No bot is gonna get it. And now you need to have 3 posts moderated before you can post unmoderated.

When Mig first started having google ads on the site, I didn’t like the idea. There was another privacy issue I had complained about as well, Can’t remember what it was. Anyways, there are malicious people all over the internet. If this shortened url came from a new user on HTMF I might have an issue with clicking on it, but Jesus has been posting here forever. You show your url to every site you visit on the internet, so why is it such a huge deal that people use the url shortening services? What do other sites do with your information? By the way Dex, do you know Mig personally? How do you know he’s not some expert hacker that is looking at everything you’re doing right now? I mean, he already has google ads that track conversations. He has all of our IP addresses and not everyone on this board has met him…

Just seems silly to me. To pick apart a URL shortening service when the entire internet has access to your IP…

Yeah, thanks,man! Your solution is working perfectly:) No spammers are getting through. Less work for us. :wink:

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

When Mig first started having google ads on the site, I didn’t like the idea. There was another privacy issue I had complained about as well, Can’t remember what it was. Anyways, there are malicious people all over the internet. If this shortened url came from a new user on HTMF I might have an issue with clicking on it, but Jesus has been posting here forever. You show your url to every site you visit on the internet, so why is it such a huge deal that people use the url shortening services? What do other sites do with your information? By the way Dex, do you know Mig personally? How do you know he’s not some expert hacker that is looking at everything you’re doing right now? I mean, he already has google ads that track conversations. He has all of our IP addresses and not everyone on this board has met him…

Just seems silly to me. To pick apart a URL shortening service when the entire internet has access to your IP…[/quote]

The entire internet does not have my IP.

[quote=“Dex”]

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

Just seems silly to me. To pick apart a URL shortening service when the entire internet has access to your IP…[/quote]

The entire internet does not have my IP.[/quote]

[quote=“MiG”]Bubba can you tell me how you can visit a site without giving them an IP address?

That’s how the Internet works. Otherwise, there would be no way to send the website from the server to your computer. It wouldn’t know where to send it if it didn’t know your address.

Can you give me an example of a website that doesn’t need to know an IP address to send you data, bubba?[/quote]

Ahem…

I seem to be getting conflicting statements here. Mig says all sites have access to your IP address, Dex says they don’t…
Which one is it?

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

[quote=“Dex”]

The entire internet does not have my IP.

[quote=“MiG”]Bubba can you tell me how you can visit a site without giving them an IP address?

That’s how the Internet works. Otherwise, there would be no way to send the website from the server to your computer. It wouldn’t know where to send it if it didn’t know your address.

Can you give me an example of a website that doesn’t need to know an IP address to send you data, bubba?[/quote]

Ahem…

I seem to be getting conflicting statements here. Mig says all sites have access to your IP address, Dex says they don’t…
Which one is it?[/quote]

Both. No sites have your IP… unless you visit them then all sites you visit have your ip. back on topic. I dont eat fast food but thought this would be interesting for those that do.

Well I know that part Jesus, but does Dex limit his browsing that much?
Anyways, I’ve always been suspicious when fast food restaraunts say they have all beef products… Same with “all white chicken meat.” I would assume the other additives that make up this “beef” slop, are the chemicals that make fast food so addicting.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]I seem to be getting conflicting statements here. Mig says all sites have access to your IP address, Dex says they don’t…
Which one is it?[/quote]

Any site you visit has your details.

Dex is pointing out that by using an URL shortner, you’re forcing others to visit an intermediary site just to see another site.

So for example, bit.ly/gba6HO both go to the same place. Sure, if you follow either link, then that webserver will have your IP address. But if you follow the bit.ly link, then a third party will also have your information. For no valid reason other than to give you a shorter URL. Which you don’t need in phpBB.