iPod to laptop

iTunes rocks. It is simple and user friendly. I find most people I speak to about iTunes, who are using Windows, hate iTunes for no apparent reason, but the same people swear by Windows Media Player, which I find to be roughly the same thing, but uglier with a poor user interface. IMO it doesn’t get easier than iTunes, unless you want to burn an audio CD and then a data or MP3 CD, which would require you to select that method in the preferences menu…

Y’all should be using Nero to burn any sort of disc anyway.

What do you find bloated about iTunes? It’s memory usage? I find it runs quickly and effortlessly on both of my computers. What media player are you using, and what do you mean about upgrading your MP3 player? Does it use removable flash memory?

I think dragging a CD to the library is easier than the steps you’ve described.

The average user only needs to learn how to drag a CD, not anything else.

Most industry analysts will tell you that the ease of use of iTunes, and the seamless syncing (without having to learn to navigate folders or copy and paste) is the reason that iPods are the leading mp3 players.

The total integration – click to buy a song and it’s automagically on your mp3 player.  No fooling no messing.  It’s the “secret sauce” to the iPod’s success.  

You’re making the mistake of thinking your average user knows as much as you do.  Don’t fall for that trap.

If you take away the way iTunes works, then the iPod is actually not such a great player.  I mean it still has a great interface and all, but it’s the no-thinking iTunes that makes it much better.

They sweat every single button, every interface decision is taken very seriously.  And it’s about the whole experience.  You buy a TV show, it shows up on your iPod automatically, your TV automatically, streamed to other computers on your network automatically.  The idea of copying and pasting just isn’t a part of that experience.  By design.

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

I have a 4 GB Creative Zen.  Yes it has removable flash memory.