Incoming email

I was downtown today and somebody asked if I had changed my email because it had been bounced back to her.

I then realized that I hadn’t received any email for a couple of days, so tonight while talking to my daughter I asked her to send an email which was bounced back to her with an error message that the file is too big.

She was able to receive the email I sent her.

Not that this can’t wait for a phone call to citywest tomorrow but I am curious as to why this might be happening.

[quote=“DWhite”]I was downtown today and somebody asked if I had changed my email because it had been bounced back to her.

I then realized that I hadn’t received any email for a couple of days, so tonight while talking to my daughter I asked her to send an email which was bounced back to her with an error message that the file is too big.

She was able to receive the email I sent her.

Not that this can’t wait for a phone call to citywest tomorrow but I am curious as to why this might be happening.[/quote]

Perhaps your inbox with citywest is full, that is, citywest does not provide a lot of storage. Maybe try logging in to your inbox using the web log-in and see if some of your mail boxes have some large files in them. It could be as easy as deleting some e-mails.

CityWest Internet Web Mail

[quote=“hitest”]

Thank you. That seems to have done the trick. I just received some email that went straight to my junk file. I also received an email that I sent to myself from another account.

I emptied by inbox by deleting some mail and creating folders for others. I am now more organized than ever. What is strange though is that I really didn’t have a lot of mail - just over 20 or so. I also emptied my junk file which had over 100 and my delete file which also had well over 100 unread messages plus all the ones I had read.

I didn’t have this trouble with my old desktop. I now have a two month old laptop. And I am using Windows Live Mail instead of Outlook Express. Don■t know if any of that makes any difference.

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

[quote=“DWhite”]

I emptied by inbox by deleting some mail and creating folders for others. I am now more organized than ever. What is strange though is that I really didn’t have a lot of mail - just over 20 or so. I also emptied my junk file which had over 100 and my delete file which also had well over 100 unread messages plus all the ones I had read.

I didn’t have this trouble with my old desktop. I now have a two month old laptop. And I am using Windows Live Mail instead of Outlook Express. Don■t know if any of that makes any difference.

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

You are welcome, DWhite. :smile:
The issue with your citywest mail is related to how much storage citywest gives you on their incoming e-mail server for your account. That is, they give you 5 MB of storage on the server. Therefore, if one of your friends sends you an e-mail with family pictures attached it can rapidly use up your storage allotment.
Your windows Live account does not have this storage limitation.

Just curious. Is the citywest mail limit the same as other providers? Is there a reason why there is a limit? Seen several times where they say usage is similar as cable tv and doesnt really matter if you are a heavy or light user and that there is no extra charge to citywest.

[quote=“chookie”]Just curious. Is the citywest mail limit the same as other providers? Is there a reason why there is a limit? Seen several times where they say usage is similar as cable tv and doesnt really matter if you are a heavy or light user and that there is no extra charge to citywest./quoteI

I too am curious. As I said, I didn’t have all that much mail in my inbox. My junk and delete files had a lot but should that affect my incoming mail? And the mail I did have seemed harmless enough. There were some personal emails that I sometimes keep for reference (they are now in their own folder). There were a couple from Amazon telling me about a current order that I save until I actually receive the shipment. There were only two emails that may have contained a lot of memory without my knowledge. For example, I recently purchased a IPod and I got the welcoming email after registering. It told me to check out some features which I had yet to do. Maybe it was filling my inbox.

What happens if we go away for a couple of weeks? Will my inbox fill up before I get back.[/quote]

5 MB is small, the default install on any server I’ve built is 10 and I usually set it to 20MB.
If you go away, that’s exactly what webmail is for. Check it from anywhere, if you want to keep one with a large attachment forward it to hotmail or gmail and then delete it.

Ditch shitty west, Get Gmail = WIn!

What kind of decrepit mail system are they using that cant just give you a meaningful error like ‘quota filled’ instead of ‘file too big’ which should be when the file attached to your email is too big.

Postfix… hrm I expected sendmail… they need to do some reconfiguring for better error generation.

Meh. She didn’t state the size of her attachment. I just had someone whining last week trying to send a…
159 MB attachment
to 57 people in the Band Office.
I gave the K.I.S.S. explanation. "It’s e-mail. You want parcel post."
He’d downloaded it from the Net and insisted on attaching it. I asked why if it was on the Net, he didn’t just send the link in the e-mail.
“I SHOULDN’T HAVE TO”