Inboard or outboard, which is better?

There are pros and cons of two very different styles of boat and I hear differing opinions on them.
One is that outboard is the only way to go because they are more efficient, more reliable and engine swap is easier and fast.
Another says IB/OB is the only way to go because a child can do basic maintenance and some minor repair with basic hand tools. Looking forward to a discussion on this.
Latest craft under consideration is a well maintained 22’ Sangster with the 470 mercruiser and a new leg. Sounds kind of large for a small 4cyl. but good starter boat because I can’t afford a welded aluminum with a new e-tech.

The inboards will surprise you. i have a friend with an 18’ cruiser with a 350 hp mercruiser 4 cyl and if he had a 6 cyl you would need breaking parachutes. the inboard allows for a larger engine size and maintenance is easier, the trade off is you loose deck space for the engine. so it distills down to owner preference. Now the boat you had mentioned has a new leg, is it an Alpha leg or a Bravo leg with counter rotating props?

Ah,
know that is the kind of question I want to be asking.
Let you know…

Have two to consider.
Both are Alpha
the 18’ has original leg and Rebuilt 470 140 hp and is original owner.
I think 22’ is a little big for what I want to do (fish).

Wanting to land on beaches around here sometimes, I would probably be way better off with a small aluminum with an outboard.
Still looking and looking and looking…