IF Slaughter Houses Had Glass Windows

A quick question, how reputable would the source have to be, and how graphic would the video footage have to be, in order for mankind to care enough, starting with the consumer who enables the industry, to care enough to change the new millenium of birth for death “Farming” of animals?

What are your thoughts on a good system to cut back on the slaughter?
Do you care at all? If you don’t, can you stomach a video like below?

A long time ago I began cutting back on meat intake. Very, very little every week. Trying to subsitute with other protein foods. I’m not a hyprocrite, I still eat meat. I haven’t really enjoyed it in a long while mainly because I always suspected this type of treatment to the animals.

Most people I don’t think quite understand the mass scale of slaughter throughout the animal populations. 9.1 BILLION animals slaughtered in the United States alone in 2011. Is it just me, or does that seem far too high to be acceptable by any measure of humanity? Ironically, it is said that dead or dying protein is of the worst kind for human consumption…

WARNING !!! Graphic !!! ANIMAL CRUELTY
Paul McCartney narrates and guides a documentary about the unecessary cruelty to animals in slaughter and birthed for death slaughterhouse operations. Source

Video hosted on YouTube, open to Public,

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]A quick question, how reputable would the source have to be, and how graphic would the video footage have to be, in order for mankind to care enough, starting with the consumer who enables the industry, to care enough to change the new millenium of birth for death “Farming” of animals?

What are your thoughts on a good system to cut back on the slaughter?
Do you care at all? If you don’t, can you stomach a video like below?

A long time ago I began cutting back on meat intake. Very, very little every week. Trying to subsitute with other protein foods. I’m not a hyprocrite, I still eat meat. I haven’t really enjoyed it in a long while mainly because I always suspected this type of treatment to the animals.

Most people I don’t think quite understand the mass scale of slaughter throughout the animal populations. 9.1 BILLION animals slaughtered in the United States alone in 2011. Is it just me, or does that seem far too high to be acceptable by any measure of humanity? Ironically, it is said that dead or dying protein is of the worst kind for human consumption…

WARNING !!! Graphic !!! ANIMAL CRUELTY
Paul McCartney narrates and guides a documentary about the unecessary cruelty to animals in slaughter and birthed for death slaughterhouse operations. Source

Video hosted on YouTube, open to Public,

You answered your own question by stating that you still eat meat.

It is excessive though, I agree. Most other cultures outside North America get by with very small portions of meat, yet here burgers and giant steaks have become a staple. I think I could do without meat with the exception of fish. And that would make me a hypocrite if I condemned the slaughter of cows and chickens and pigs.

I hear people taste like bacon. Its either you or a steak. Seriously though look at how.vegetables are processed its equally as disgusting as meat if not more so. Just because a cow has a furry face and big dopey eyes doesnt make it any less a food source. I dont worry myself about inconsequential things like how many animals are killed for food in the world. I try to buy locally sourced food of all kinds whenever possible but i dont weep for dead animals.

I am against cruelty to animals, however I do like a nice bloody steak once in a while.

I think more people should gather their own food, both animal and vegetable. It is a good education either way.

I agree with the agriculture corruption. Monsanto is a fine example of that. Genetically modified crops that absorb massive amounts of water with less nutrients and genetic pesticide…I’m all for progress, but it’s the excess (as Crazy Horse pointed out) that we should be worried about isn’t it? Of course the quality of life and cruelty is also a disturbing side effect which should be questioned as well in my opinion.

I don’t find it hyprocritical to question to ponder an alternative or solution to such tragedy though I participate. I am a realist of course. The problem I see here is that big money has come to bear too far into the process.

Also, as a recent follower of quantum physics, I couldn’t help but ponder the string theory of our reality as well. It would seem that quantum physics, especially backed up by the discovery of the Higgs Boson, dictates that we, or our world, is mainly made of energy; waves; interference patterns.

Is it possible that this type of mass misery could shape our world through negative energy? In 2013, it’s no longer just an solid-mass, atom world. :smile:

Most people are worried when the scale of comsumption becomes large- pick a topic- any topic.
But very few people focus on the core problem; human population is excessive.
Pretty much all issues revolve around this core issue yet no one is doing anything about it.

Excellent subject, MeepMeep. I think it is very important to be a mindful consumer; and looking at the treatment of food animals is necessary. The way they are penned for economic efficiency without regard for the comfort of the animals is horrific. Also the way they are shipped, days in trucks, so packed they can’t lie down, sometimes parked at the side of the road waiting to be delivered for days without food or water.

I think that consumers partake at their own expense in this way: stressed animals are stressed meat. Animals fed chemically laced food have chemically laced meat. People eating that without regard are very likely to pay with their own health. I personally think there is a strong link between what we eat and what we die of. There are consequences.

But it’s the mindlessness of it all that is numbing. I doubt very much is anyone would want any animal to endure what our food animals endure. But it goes on because not enough people question the treatment of them; and even fewer demand better treatment for them.

I like you seldom eat meat but if I want it, I have it. I don’t fool myself about what that meat was before it came to me though. I wish there was more I could do. Other than reducing meat intake, the only other thing I’ve done is send money to organizations that are trying to change things.

[quote=“rupzuk”]Most people are worried when the scale of comsumption becomes large- pick a topic- any topic.
But very few people focus on the core problem; human population is excessive.
Pretty much all issues revolve around this core issue yet no one is doing anything about it.[/quote]

I am not sure that I agree with that take. We hear of overpopulation all the time but it’s overconsumerism that is at fault. Those over populated places aren’t eating steak or Kentucky Fried Chicken. They are eating lentils if they can get them.

Animals are sentient creatures. They feel, they cry, they suffer. It may be that plants suffer as well, but they don’t bleed, they don’t try to escape on broken limbs. We are not dehumanized by how we harvest them.

Our treatment of food animals is evil. Counting ignorance for merit doesn’t improve anything.

Thanks Gunnar. It’s always nice to have someone that agrees chime in. Your points are of the same mindset mine is - consumerism and ignorance of the depth of maltreatment of food animals. But, along those same thoughts, is another thought.

You rarely, if ever, hear “morning pig.” Bacon. Bacon wrapped in bacon overtop bacon smeared in maple syrup with a side of bacon. I believe there is a carefully controlled media presence that plays a role here too. You rarely, if ever, hear of public outcry to piglet thumping or chicken’s beak clipping.

Bottomline is I believe, as empathetic human beings if more people saw exactly more of what happens in a slaughterhouse, more people might care. I don’t believe all human beings can hide behind ignorance forever and I also think that each and every person needs to know they are a critical part in feeding the machine that perpetuates this. Education, I guess. I took it upon myself to look up this information because I know manipulation when I see it - and the mass-media push on all fronts of “bacon” is a clear sign of that.

I don’t believe the language should be sanitized either. That’s disingenuous and manipulative of the reasoning and necessity men and women need to keep the slaughter happening in this fashion. I am sure there is much wastage - more than likely yearly, hundreds of tons of meat; that was once an animal that could in some way, contribute to the Earth in some way. “Farming,” “Crops of Animals,” “Harvest,” is an agriculture term that should not be applied to animals.

It would seem that when our societies deem animals less than worthy of life - hence the bred for death “farms.”

Kudos to you on voicing your concerns over the treatment of bred for food animals. But you have to realize that any video/study/ or documentary can be manipulated to say whatever the creator wants. Editors that want to push an agenda will only keep footage that supports thier claim. A video can just as easily be made to show how humane and ethical alot of places are. Now I’m not saying these places don’t exist, but Canada as a whole is miles above in food quality, animal treatment, and food safety than most other nations (US included). The problem is that second and third world nations where meat of any form is not as readily available as here, these standards of treatment fall to the wayside. These are where the majority of these offences occur. And whether you’re an individual protester, organization, or even a gov’t entity, the odds on persuading gov’ts in these countries to tighten laws concerning slaughterhouses are very slim.

Eating a honey ham tonight, I’m a bad person.

[quote=“gunnar”]Animals are sentient creatures. They feel, they cry, they suffer. It may be that plants suffer as well, but they don’t bleed, they don’t try to escape on broken limbs. We are not dehumanized by how we harvest them.

Our treatment of food animals is evil. Counting ignorance for merit doesn’t improve anything.[/quote]

Actually plants do bleed. We call plant blood “sap”.

Our farming methods re: factory farming aren’t much better than the food animal industry.