iBook G4 help

Well, I think I might have made a big mistake.

We have a power inverter in the car. We got it at the same time as our iBook G4. As we were crossing the country last year, we used it to power the laptop ( and/or reload the battery) so the kids could play games and watch movies. We’ve used the inverter with the laptop without problems for almost a year now on every long trip.
Today, as we were coming back from a 4 hours trip, something happened. The usual procedure is to plug the converter into the lighter outlet, turn it on then plug the computer. I usually follow this order without any problem. But today, as my kid was using the laptop, I noticed that the converter plug to the lighter had come undone. So I plugged it back. The iBook just shut down. So I picked up the computer and try to turn it on: Nothing. :open_mouth:

So the laptop doesn’t want to power up. The battery is full and if I plug it into the wall, the green light on the plug that indicates the connection is on. But I can’t turn it on.

Do I have any hope? There isn’t extremely important data on the computer except maybe some pictures. So if we lost stuff, I can live with it. But I want it working again. I know I have to send it for servicing but I thought you guys here could help me a little.

Happened a long time ago on my Beige G3.

docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300552

and

docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

I reset the PMU and everything worked again.

Is there somebody there who deals with Apple stuff?

Yes MiG, there are people servicing Apple nearby. Now are you suggesting I go see them or that I do the procedure outlined in the second link you posted?

I don’t suggest anything :wink: I don’t do tech support anymore. But if there’s an Apple guy around, you could ask him.

I tried resetting the PMU like they explain on the Apple website and it didn’t do anything. I’ll bring it in for service this week as it is still under it’s one-year warranty.
The problem is I have non-Apple RAM in it. Should I take it out? Also, lots of programs from the russians are inside. Will that be a problem?

The non-apple ram shouldn’t matter, and they’re not about to go through your hard drive, don’t worry.

What happens if you take the laptop battery out with the power adapter plugged in and try turning it on ?

You could also try this…

Take the battery out and unplug it and try turning it on about 5 times. * yes i know it will not turn on* What it will do is force the pram to be cleared.

Try that too…

Also if this is a ibook put it on a flat desk then put a penny under the left FOOT the white rubber one. Then try turning it on with the power plug in.

It sounds stupid but when you call apple support working for a apple computer’s and the first thing they say is did you prop it up with the penny.

This is a known problem with ibooks its the logic board if it does turn on. I hope it’s under warranty :smile:

Jase

Jason, I know my legs are short but you trying to pull them will not help.

email me I’ll help you… I swear this is not a joke…

jason at zorby-audio.com

Working now right :smile:

Yes it is working. It worked by taking the battery out, and turn it on only with the power cord. Your advice was great!
I didn’t get to the penny part but if I did, I would have probably rub my forehead and made clicking sound with my mouth just to add to the black magic trick.:wink: Thanks.

[quote=“BigThumb”]Yes it is working. It worked by taking the battery out, and turn it on only with the power cord. Your advice was great!
I didn’t get to the penny part but if I did, I would have probably rub my forehead and made clicking sound with my mouth just to add to the black magic trick.:wink: Thanks.[/quote]

It’s all about experiance :smile:

[quote=“BigThumb”]Yes it is working. It worked by taking the battery out, and turn it on only with the power cord. Your advice was great!
I didn’t get to the penny part but if I did, I would have probably rub my forehead and made clicking sound with my mouth just to add to the black magic trick.:wink: Thanks.[/quote]

Did you get that lcd ? Let me know via email so i can get this working for you. Send me the laptop if you want and ill install it.

Of if you feel confident ill send you the Ibook tear down and you can change it :smile:

Good news.  I got an LCD display, brand new, for $100.  I installed it already.  Wasn’t too difficult.

Everything seems ok.

I’m happier now!

Did you replace the LCD yourself?  Good shit! 

Hey if anybody else needs parts, I have a … um… dropped iBook that has been disassembled. The screen is still intact, as are all the other parts. There’s a crack in the mainboard, though.

I’m thinking I might do one of those LCD frame projects.

Yes I intalled it myself :sunglasses:

Too bad it’s too late, I could have bought the screen from you. 
So what is the LCD frame project?

You make a picture frame that cycles through photos.  But you need to have some sort of computer to drive the display.  I think I gotta find a cheap little computer to run it.  I dunno.

I saw a guy do that too He connected it to his mac and it displayed pictures he wanted out-puted to the 14" picture frame. Looked pretty cool.

Do you still have those parts?  I might need a new power source.  My plug connection to the iBook is almost all broken.  I will try to see if it’s repairable first but I might be looking for anoter adaptor.

Yup, send me your address.