IBM closes $34 billion Red Hat acquisition: Now it's time to deliver

So a year later, and Red Hat has pulled the rug out from CentOS, the open-source Red Hat distro. The current version, which should have been supported for 10 years, is only going to be supported for 1 year. And future versions of CentOS will only receive the beta stream of the Red Hat stuff.

So…

Rocky Linux is born.

1 Like

Wow. That’s a quick, positive community response to the shift at CentOS.

1 Like

Red Hat is feeling the heat a bit, I suppose. They’re offering a free subscription to RHEL starting on February 1st.

Isn’t Fedora still a Red Hat version? Is it still around?
Used Fedora 4 years ago

Yep. Fedora is still around. I last ran Fedora at Fedora Core 3, years ago. Fedora is the development branch for Red Hat, the bleeding edge stuff, which then gets added to RHEL.
Red Hat 9 was one of my first distros; I liked it a lot. These days I’m running Slackware and Debian.

Always enjoy listening to you people in this forum- sub category. Seriously.:+1:

Closest I got to your level of IT savvy was me running linux in 20 years ago, and even then I was like a fish outta water.:joy:

I do own a flux capacitor though…so there’s that.

1 Like

I’m going to try out CentOS Stream, the rolling release model of CentOS now that CentOS 8 is going to be discontinued.

Weird. CentOS Stream couldn’t find my NIC so I defaulted to using the Debian 10.8.0 netinstall ISO with included non-free firmware.

The CentOS replacement, Rocky Linux 8.4, is available now.

Rocky Linux 8.4 Available

I finally got around to trying out Rocky Linux 8. I’m running it in Virtualbox on a Windows 10 Pro host. I think this is a worthy replacement for anyone who needs to replace CentOS 8 servers that are no longer supported. Rocky has years of support.