I hate politicians

renaming shit. I lived in Burnaby in an area called Old Orchard before some swine redesignated it Metrotown.
Then, out of thin air comes the Great Bear Rain Forest. Soon to be park.
Today they announce the ‘Spirit Bear’ will bedome BC’s official animal. Does K-E-R-M-O-D-E mean something disgusting in a WestCoast tongue?

In regards to the Spirit Bears…Has anyone seen that EYESORE in front of the Crest?

What. The. Fuck. Were. They. Thinking?

How long was “Old Orchard” completely bare of trees?

herbie_popnecker wrote:

Do you mean in the Native Language of the First Nations people?
Please explain :exclamation:

Eggs Ackley! 3 cases where someone far away named something rather than asking the people who lived there.
Old Orchard was nice and quaint, now that the area’s a glass & steel abortion of overpriced shops and condos Metrotown is a perfect soul-less name for it.

Ahhhhhhhh!

herbie_popnecker wrote:

Exactly man. Just like the Europeans coming over here and naming it Canada. But hey, don’t mind me, I’m from Iraq.

Frickin’ Europeans and their damned body odor!

[quote=“Meowth”]Ahhhhhhhh!

herbie_popnecker wrote:

Exactly man. Just like the Europeans coming over here and naming it Canada. But hey, don’t mind me, I’m from Iraq.[/quote]

your joking right canada was a native name
from .wikipedia.org

[quote]The name Canada is believed to have originated around 1535 from a Wendat (Huron-Iroquoian) word, kanata, meaning “village”, “settlement”, or “collection of huts”[1], referring to Stadacona, a settlement on the site of present-day Quebec City; another contemporary translation was “land”[2]. By 1547, maps made by early European explorers show that the name rivière de Canada was given to the nearby St. Lawrence River; the river was called Kaniatarowanenneh (“big waterway”) in Mohawk, coincidentally and reinforcingly similar to kanata. A plausible hypothesis is that the river was named for the village on its banks and the surrounding land for the river used to explore it.

See also: List of place names in Canada of Aboriginal origin.
An apocryphal explanation of the name’s origin is that Spanish cartographers, not having explored the northern part of the continent, wrote acá nada (“nothing here”) on that part of their maps. A similar tale credits Portuguese explorers who, upon seeing the eastern coastline, declared a similar sentiment (cà nada).[/quote]

Kanata eh? Doesn’t the Senators play in Kanata Ontario?

I always thought that the “village/settlement” explanation was the most valid. However, recently, I either read or heard that Canada may also have come from a portuguese word. The portuguese fisherman would have drawn maps during their fishing voyage outlining the coastline and would have labelled whatever was on the other side Quanada or something like that (and I forgot what it could mean). Since Jacques Cartier is the one that “officially” claimed the land for France and since the “Qu” sounds like “K” in French, it might be possible that the words came from there assuming that Cartier had seen portuguese maps.

“Ca Nada” or “Aqui Nada” (it’s nothing, or there’s nothing, nothing here). Not sure about the explanation, though. I’ll do some more reading. I haven’t heard or read a direct reference for this, though linguistically it works. But it can also work in other languages as well.

To a Portuguese fisherman, Terra Nova was much more important than the rest of North America. They did name Labrador as well, though. After the guy who mapped it.

yes, I think that linguistically its close. Now I remember where I heard that. It was during a historical tour in Quebec City. Either at the Huron Village or at the Plains of Abraham center. But I remember clearly something about Canada possibly coming from the portuguese language. I wasn’t sure about how to spell it.

I wonder if portuguese people still think that there’s nothing here? The US sure does!

I found a site, but there was too much too post so here is the link:

http://www.answers.com/topic/canada