I am only an employee!

This post is to vent. Some of the members on here may be aware that I am the manager of our foodbank and that being said, I am disgusted that phonecalls are coming to my home complaining about our service. I am an employee of the Salvation Army and respectfully must follow any and all policy procedures set down by the Captains of this corp. Every corp. is different regarding the management of their foodbanks, ours is closed during December due to the early cheque issue (Dec.15th.), Child Tax on the 19th, and the Salvation Army Hamper Program beginning on Dec. 21st. This is a FREE service and during the month we do make concessions for those who are waiting for EI etc, but calling my home is uncalled for and inconsiderate. To complain at all about our service has always been to me mind-boggling. How can one complain about something given to you for free?. If you don’t want it, don’t take it ! I apologize for this vent but I am so tired of being stopped on the street, abused at work and now in my own home. I thank those who appreciate the work we do and can only hope that those who don’t, find it in themselves to think before they react as it hurts, it truly does.

Firstly, the customer is always right, secondly, and I maybe a bit ignorant to assume this, but I really doubt that much, if any,of your desired audience frequents HTMF.

Firstly, did I not say at the beginning of my post that I was just venting, which I believe many do on this site and I did in NO way intimate that any of our members did frequent the foodbank. Secondly, are you suggesting that it is OK to call me at MY home and complain about the foodbank because if so, then i will gladly have the calls forwarded to your home and you deal with it ! And NO, the customer is not always right.

if someone is giving something for free the person getting that item is not a customer the person is a guest, second ppl receiving something free shouldn’t bother other ppl at home for something they do at their job site

Just a thought, but perhaps requesting for an unlisted number (or just using an answering machine) (or perhaps using cel phone for the family) and only providing the contact number to your supervisor and those you wish to talk with would remove the unwanted phone call problem.

[quote=“ThePodunkian”]

Just a thought, but perhaps requesting for an unlisted number (or just using an answering machine) (or perhaps using cel phone for the family) and only providing the contact number to your supervisor and those you wish to talk with would remove the unwanted phone call problem.[/quote]

All good ideas except in the 10 years I have been at this job, this is the first year they have called my home. I have an answering machine and there were 3 calls on it when I got home and as for a cell, a little too pricey for me at the moment but thank you for the advice. I will just screen and all my friends are on a “call code” system !! I will think about a new unlisted number in the new year if it continues !

Cody,

There are too many problems with your situation and I am surprised you have not done more than just vent, but I also know how sweet and patient you are too. No one has the right to bother someone in their private home over something that is separate like work, or volunteering. If these calls are by the same people, or become frequent. Use your answering machine as evidence and let the Captains listen, then next let the police listen if you are really getting bothered. No one deserves it.

And you do have every right to post an opinion --being aware not to use slander, etc… which I see none of.
Sometimes this site is terrible for causing problems that do not need to be caused. But at the same time it is a good level to share thoughts and feelings and maybe get a little support.

I am so glad there are people like you left in the world.
Cheers.

Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.

• Aldous Huxley

I hate to say it but it’s true. I’m sorry you have to deal with this Codybear. People honestly feel they’re entitled to this kind of thing, when in reality, they should count themselves lucky they are able to use the service.

Sadly, it doesn’t seem like people give a damn, maybe it’s time for the service to be stopped for certian people.No idea how that could work though.

I agree with ThePodunkian, I think an answering machine would solve a lot of your woes. Screen your calls for the next few weeks over the Christmas season. I can understand why you would find this upsetting.

Just wanted to thank everyone for your advice and your very kind words ! One of those days I guess but overwhelming at times when all we are trying to do is assist those requesting our service. Though I do like my job, sometimes turning the other cheek just wears this old gal right out !! Thank you “ratboat4”, much appeciated !