Hydro outage Thursday afternoon June 27

Hi. Just curious about the three hour power outage on the East end Thursday afternoon.
Ruined our supper! Power off from 2:25 to 5:30! I checked the Hydro web site but I saw
nothing to fit the date and time of day. Anybody else affected by this long outage or was
it just small enough to be ignored by Hydro?

I read somewhere ( I thought that it was HTMF but must have been somewhere else) that a car accident on the east side took out a power pole and caused the outage. It might be listed on the BC Hydro site under restored outages but I haven’t checked.

It couldn’t have been too small. Although the pole was located by Maverick Mart, the power was out at the Courthouse.

I’m sure once the Northern View gets over it’s fascination with the Bong busting, they might get around to an item on it, maybe next Wednesday, do check back!

I called the BC Hydro hotline about 3:30 and the woman I spoke with ( shocked to speak with anyone at all) was aware of the outage, said it was due to a motor vehicle accident and that power should be restored approx. time 6PM so they were on it quickly. She was very nice and advised were the power not restored by latest 7PM to please advise them.

Old Major. Yes indeed it was a truck which struck a power pole on Fredrick Street.
You will probably read about it in the paper when it is delivered to your door.
Actually since you are on here you must be computer literate. So why don’t you tap over
to the Bong Reporting Northern View and read all about it.
While your there, check out the front page! There you will find a story about an award
that was bestowed upon our local establishment for a 6 month investigation, alleged to have
stemmed from 2 complaints of youths being sick after ingesting a substance purchased from
Chad’s 420. This statement was released by the RCMP 2 hours after the award was presented
infront of the Police Station by Dana Larsen of Sensible BC.
A 6 month investigation and a seizure on a very old, and unused law of pipes and bongs!
What sir, did that achieve? Nothing but a waste of Police Manhours, another business gone from Rupert,
and a loss of a couple of jobs. Do you not think that our Policing dollars could have been better spent?
Just My Opinion.

[quote=“woodnfood”]Old Major. Yes indeed it was a truck which struck a power pole on Fredrick Street.
Actually since you are on here you must be computer literate. So why don’t you tap over
While your there, check out the front page! There you will find a story about an award
that was bestowed upon our local establishment for a 6 month investigation, alleged to have
stemmed from 2 complaints of youths being sick after ingesting a substance purchased from
Chad’s 420. This statement was released by the RCMP 2 hours after the award was presented
A 6 month investigation and a seizure on a very old, and unused law of pipes and bongs!
What sir, did that achieve? Nothing but a waste of Police Manhours, another business gone from Rupert,
and a loss of a couple of jobs. Do you not think that our Policing dollars could have been better spent?
Just My Opinion.[/quote]

I believe you may have missed Old Majors sarcasm.

[quote=“woodnfood”]Old Major. Yes indeed it was a truck which struck a power pole on Fredrick Street.
Just My Opinion.[/quote]

Thanks ever so much for the direction, there’s nothing of the hydro outage in the Friday paper that arrived at my door, maybe Wednesday’s edition, but by then what it being about a week later, who would really care anymore right?

I did however, take you up on the suggestion to look to the Northern View’s website, you must be referring (or is that reeferring?) to the story on what basically was a publicity stunt.

thenorthernview.com/news/213429891.html

Though perhaps it’s not that story you would like us to review, there seem to be no shortage of updates in the View to check out.

Between the numerous stories and editorials on the theme in the last few weeks, it’s hard to keep track of all the Breaking News on what seems to be the only major topic of discussion in the community, both here on hackingthemainframe and in the weekly paper of late.

Not sure that the awards ceremony qualifies as news, but hey, to each editor his or her own news judgment. They surely know they have an audience, narrow an interest as it may be.

As for allotment of policing dollars, the task of the RCMP is to enforce those laws on the books and respond to complaints from the public. Can’t really pick and choose, as everyone probably has something that they think the RCMP spend too much time on. Stop signs, counter attack roadblocks, seatbelt checks, the list is probably endless.

Whether you agree with them or not, probably isn’t an issue, if you really want to address the issue contact your MP and have him take a stand in the House of Commons to Change the laws.

Blaming the RCMP for enforcing a law that is still in effect, would seem to be spending your time where it won’t get it’s best result.

The power outage we causd by dope-smoking award winners?

You people live in Prince Rupert…and find a power outage should be newspaper worthy ??
How long you live in this town ??

Thank to all of you who have replied to my post. Now I see what happened.

Hi to crip 75

Well I have lived here nigh on sixty years, and it has only been in the past few years that we have had these
almost regular, usually only for a few minutes power outages. On a nice sunny warm afternoon when the power is
off for more than three hours there must have been an unusual cause. There was! It must have been a fairly large truck
that took down the power pole and the kind of an accident that interrupted electric power as far as the Court House
(as was mentioned in a previous post) really should merit a mention in the local ‘imitation news paper’. Maybe not the
power outage itself but at least an article on the accident.

My original post was to see if I could find a ‘reason’ for the outage.

Again. thanks to all who replied.

they had to replace the pole… that’s why the long delay in power… and also the reason for PRFD to be on scene. (The pole was still energized almost an hr after the initial “incident”)

You might be technically correct, in that the RCMP enforces laws that are “on the books.” But surely the real mandate of any police force is public safety and the laws are simply the vehicle they use. As an example, until recently there was a prohibition era law ‘on the books’ that made transporting wine across provincial borders illegal. Does anyone think that the RCMP should have spent time at the border doing vehicle checks on people heading home to Alberta with a case of Okanogan wine? Of course not. More than that, the RCMP didn’t file any charges because they know that their case would be flimsy at best–that’s why they just seized inventory.

This isn’t the same as being miffed at getting a ticket for rolling through a stop sign. In this instance we have a business owner who was forced to leave town because of a six month long investigation that concluded a head shop was selling bongs. The mayor even specifically mentioned Chad’s Smoke Shop in a statement he released last year talking about the positive economic growth we are seeing in Prince Rupert. Now we have a few more people out of a job and another empty storefront. And I’m sure we all feel safer.

So the municipality doesn’t set policing priorities?

I’m not sure. Dana Larsen and the Sensible BC referendum campaign say that the provincial government can dictate the RCMP’s priorities. I’m not sure if the municipality has the same ability to set priorities and if they do if the provincial instructions take precedence. If they are able to set priorities, and given the attention this has received in Prince Rupert and across the country, I think it’s something that should be talked about by council in the near future.

Well ain’t that something, there’s a blurb in the View about the power outage. That should make some people happy.

Nah, still not happy. Only six days late and chock full of no information!
With a stock picture of a lineman on a pole!

[quote=“97 B-LINE”]Nah, still not happy. Only six days late and chock full of no information!
With a stock picture of a lineman on a pole![/quote]

I’m sorry, but big frick’n deal. A truck hit a power pole, nobody got hurt. Does every incident that the police or fire department attends make the news?? No it doesn’t. Why should it be in the Friday’s Connector, it is a Kitimat based paper and not major news. JMO.

I’m surprised that nobody has commented on here about the traffic chaos from the paving on McBride.