Hungry Hill and Henry's B-Y name--where do they come from?

I was looking at the highway cams, and noticed there’s one on Hungry Hill.  I 've always wondered where Hungry Hill got its name.  Does anyone know?

Also, does anyone know what the “B-Y” in Henry’s B-Y stands for?

well have you ever looked at your gas gauge as you are going up hungry hill? atleast that is why i always call it that.

ive heard that way back in the day alot of cars used to break down on that long stretch of hill.
so they called it hungry hill cause it “ate” alot of cars
at least thats what i grew up knowing.

Well StarDog, funny you should ask…
The B-Y in the name came from the owners that ran the store prior  to Henry(Lindquist);
their last name(s) were Burns and Young. The store, back in the day, was Burns&Young Market; Henry(Lindquist) bought it and decided to simply tack his name on the title, then initialised the Burns&Young to what is today and has been for many years: Henry’s B-Y Market.    : )

Well I have hears 2 stories about Hungry Hill. The first was that when it was still a trail the horses used to have to stop a couple of times to eat. The other is that its a long steep hill and truckers are grabbing gears all the way up. So the expression goes the hill is hungry for gears down shifting all the way.Take it for what its worth.

[quote]UFOs ENCOUNTERED AT HUNGRY HILL, B.C.
Hungry Hill, a lonely peak in the northern region of Canada’s British Columbia province, has been the site of two UFO encounters during October.

The first incident took place on Tuesday, October 8, 2002 at 9:45 p.m. As Canadian ufologist Brian Vike reported, “a resident from Telkwa, B.C. was heading to work (graveyard shift–B.V.) at one of our local sawmills when he spotted, in his words, ‘an object shaped like a piece of pie.’”

“He also said it had three white lights (one on) each of the corners, or ‘fins’ as he put it. When his eyes caught it, he turned into a pull-out area (a highway rest area or rest stop in the USA–J.T.) at the top of Hungry Hill,” located 15 miles (25 kilometers) west of Houston, B.C., “mainly to see what it was going to do.”

“He also said the object sat and hovered in one place, approximately 200 feet (60 meters) up from the base of Grouse Mountain, and did not make a sound that he could hear. He said the UFO was black and estimated its size as being ‘40 feet (12 meters) across.’”

“He watched the object move off in a westerly direction towards Quick and Telkwa, B.C. The witness said he had had enough, as it bothered him, and got back into his vehicle and got out of the area quickly.”

On Thursday, October 17, 2002, at 8:30 p.m., “an older couple were on their way home to Topley, B.C., 13 miles (22 kilometers) east of Houston, from shopping in Smithers, B.C. They were coming up Hungry Hill (which has a long, steep grade–B.V.) when one of the witnesses saw a green/red flashing. She said it would flash from red to green, then green to red.”

“She said to her husband, ‘Do you see what I see?’”

“He said, ‘Yes, I do!’”

“They both said the object moved slowly above the treeline near the top of the hill. She said it would stop, hover, continue moving slowly, then disappear. As they drove along, the object reappeared–just above the treetops, and then moved across the highway in front of them and again came to a complete stop.”

“At this point, they stopped their car and just watched the strange object, moving back and forth across the highway, still just above treetop level. Before the object left the location, it started trailing ‘sparkly stuff’ behind it, which shot out approximately 100 to 200 feet (30 to 60 meters), and left in a northeasterly direction, which would have been towards Grouse Mountain.”

“The object was circular in shape, and both witnesses said there was no noise or interference with their car radio. One witness said the object was the size of ‘old satellite dishes.’ (An old C-band satellite dish is 10 to 12 feet (3 to 3.7 meters) in diameter–B.V.).” (Many thanks to Brian Vike for these reports.)[/quote]

Thanks!  I’ve been wondering about that name ever since I was a little kid.  It drove me nuts that nobody seemed to know where it came from.

As for Hungry Hill, I guess multiple stories are to be expected with a place like that.  Does anyone know how far the drive from the bottom to the top is?

Somewhere on the Hungry Hill Highway there is a pullover with a sign that tells the story of how it got it’s name… Apparently a group of settlers got snowed in as they were travelling to the Northwest and starved to death in the winter. I can’t recall how many or what year…