Hockey Game

Well Smartass, I was looking for a harsher reaction from you! Thanks for not unleashing your wrath at me!-). Now more about softball.
I moved here from the East Coast 14 years ago and over there, I played ball as a kid (very often at lunch hour from grade 4 to grade 9) and a young adult. What we played was called “softball”. Now I realize that there are different version of the sport. From what I observed here in PR, three versions, slowpitch, men’s fastball and softball (a women’s league for a few years I think-my wife played) are/were played here. Our version was like the last one, kinda in-between the other two. The ball was thrown as fast as the pitcher could throw it but windmill motion (fastball) wasn’t allowed. This made the pitch a bit slower than fastball so hitting was a bit easier.
When I tried slowpitch here, I got quite frustrated at bat because the technique is different. Plus, the year I played we had horrible weather compared to this year. So I didn’t really like it. But , seeing all the people involved in it is great because it keeps Rupertites active.
If you have any chance to play the version I talked about, I am sure you would like it.

Was it a sidearm pitch or more of a pendulum-like throw where you just bring your arm back and release it straight from below your waist?

One of those pitching styles is called Scrub (I have no idea which one), and it’s common around these parts for tournaments in Terrace, Smithers, Houston etc etc.

More of a pendulum I guess but not straight back and forth. The swing back would be at an angle with the body ( less than 45 degrees), then the arm would make a small arc to reverse the direction and the swing forth to throw would be vertical near the body. I even recall some guys hitting their hips on the release. Very fast but not even close to fastball windmill pitches.
Some pitcher would release the ball with their hand on top ( or in front) and others with their hand on the back. Curves, change ups, spinning balls, everything would come at you. Lots of missed swings be man oh man what a feeling when the bat connected properly. I wasn’t a long ball hitter but I was pretty good at placing good straight hits right above the infielders.

Ok I’m pretty sure that’s called scrub. I remember hearing about lotsa different pitches and weird throwing styles.

I wish we still had fastball here. I just got old enough to play in the ladies league when they dissolved it and then everyone played slo-pitch instead.

Actually, it’s pretty sad when the KISL is the only baseball, softball, slo-pitch of any kind in Rupert. There used to be little league (hardball and softball,) girls softball, ladies and mens slo-pitch, and ladies and mens fastball. There aren’t even any Rupert guys that play with the Terrace Merchants (fastball) anymore.

Rainbow Chrysler Crossfires vs. Crest Angels, Sunday, 5:00, Men’s field.

Prediction: Angels 12 - 4 Crossfires

Well i remember the time we played them, at rosevelt in tourney the wind was horrible, no pitcher, exc… I do think we can beat them and alot of teams in the leauge, But I dunno, we gotta find Positions for people and get people IE 3rd baseman to not be a pussy and GET IN there for some dental, I hate to say this, we need Ryan on 3rd lol he gets right in there, lol Lee will move in a step or 2 from 3rd… It’s only smart cause well Eso’s right behind him. I dunno anyways. I just ranting, I think it should be a good game, and if i have to predict it… well i dont think im gonna be there, (not like thats a big factor, you know that way i’ve been hitting) Like honestly whats up with that? I feel like I could possibly play for the blue jays the way im hitting (YES!!! THAT HORRIBLE!) argggg

prediction, Pending who shows and if Ray (pop up king) does somthing exc…

Crest 9 - Crossfires 11

[quote=“timbits”]Well i remember the time we played them, at rosevelt in tourney the wind was horrible, no pitcher, exc… I do think we can beat them and alot of teams in the leauge, But I dunno, we gotta find Positions for people and get people IE 3rd baseman to not be a pussy and GET IN there for some dental, I hate to say this, we need Ryan on 3rd lol he gets right in there, lol Lee will move in a step or 2 from 3rd… It’s only smart cause well Eso’s right behind him. I dunno anyways. I just ranting, I think it should be a good game, and if i have to predict it… well i dont think im gonna be there, (not like thats a big factor, you know that way i’ve been hitting) Like honestly whats up with that? I feel like I could possibly play for the blue jays the way im hitting (YES!!! THAT HORRIBLE!) argggg

prediction, Pending who shows and if Ray (pop up king) does somthing exc…

Crest 9 - Crossfires 11[/quote]

Says Tim, who’s brief visit to 3rd base resulted in many soft grounders sauntering out to left field.

But yeah, I agree that we SHOULD be able to give the Crest a run for their money, but the way our team as a whole has been playing, we probably won’t.

At least you guys get to play today… Marine Harvest chickened out and cancelled our game way back on Friday. So now we have 2 games to make up, that probably won’t be made up, since the midseason is next weekend.

yes, i suck @ 3rd and I know, hence why I dont play there and never wanted too.

Haha, we got fragged by the Angels, and the only had 5 girls and 4 guys.