Hitchhiker leaps to safety from moving van

I don’t think its fair to say whatever happens to a hitchhiker is their fault but I also don’t think its fair to absolve them of any responsibility for what may happen either. Just as its ridiculouswhen feminists get all riled up when people suggest wearing scantily clad clothing alone in a bad area of town late at night might be a bad idea. Its not their fault but they bare some responsibility for it due to their poor decision to put themselves at risk.

In an ideal world people wouldn’t have to take things like this into consideration but unfortunately the world is far from ideal. We all make risk based decisions every day and are responsible for putting ourselves in that position whether we consciously do it or not. Again I’m not trying to blame the victim just saying you play with fire and sometimes you get burned.

Anyway glad she got away and hopefully they find this guy or maybe he crashed into the river.

PS don’t feed the bears, some of them are trolls in disguise

[quote=“PLA”]

If you made it a $10,000 offence and people still do that, then it’s fair.

Saying that you have no other choice but to hitchhike is a poor excuse. How many criminal cases and “Highway of Tears/Don’t Hitchhike” billboards do we need to encourage people not to do that?[/quote]

you have NO IDEA what this woman’s story is - don’t make an ass of yourself and get preachy

bottom line is she is safe and was able to give some detail to just ONE of the many predators on the road, let’s just be thankful for that and move on

New Year’s resolution for HTMF: less behind the keyboard judgment and more open minded discussions

Attack the argument not the person. Name calling escalates tensions and accomplishes nothing. Please avoid name calling.
Thank you.

Not that it matters, but didn’t this incident occur on highway 62, not highway 16. Which I don’t see as a heavily traveled road other than by locals.

[quote=“_lit”]

If you made it a $10,000 offence and people still do that, then it’s fair.

Saying that you have no other choice but to hitchhike is a poor excuse. How many criminal cases and “Highway of Tears/Don’t Hitchhike” billboards do we need to encourage people not to do that?

you have NO IDEA what this woman’s story is - don’t make an ass of yourself and get preachy

bottom line is she is safe and was able to give some detail to just ONE of the many predators on the road, let’s just be thankful for that and move on[/quote]

Why so defensive against me? How many “Do Not Hitchhike” signs do we need along BC 16 and it’s feeder routes? Sure she is safe and not to solely blame her for what happen, but that doesn’t mean she shouldn’t know better.

I agree the priority is to find the perp, but it’s also our responsibility to educate people the dangers of hitchhiking.

Honestly, I wonder why people who don’t discuss/debate much usually come out as an angry person. Kinda like those in Alberta who voted for the Wildrose Party.

something very fishy about this story

whats the descript of the man? Caucasian? 60’s?

what kinda of van is it? come on…should be easy to identify a van and year. what kinda plates?

im on the verge of calling this whole story a complete and utter fabrication.

Are you talking about your cougar siting, mcsash?

Happy New Year miglet.

The cougar thing was something that was reported by a friend. I never said that I spotted it. I was just trying to make rupertites aware of what was reported in the community. In all hindsight it probably was fictious…and I wouldn’t of posted that again if I could go back.

Im just saying in this situation…given historical data… that this individual would of being interrogated or hypnotised to come up with the basic info in leading to questioning of the male driver. Maybe …just maybe it was the highway of tears killer himself feeding his messed up appetite for women in this area.

[quote=“mcsash”]

**Im just saying in this situation…given historical data… that this individual would of being interrogated or hypnotised to come up with the basic info in leading to questioning of the male driver. ** Maybe …just maybe it was the highway of tears killer himself feeding his messed up appetite for women in this area.[/quote]

Do you have anything at all to back up your wild claims or is this just fabricated?. Wow.

im saying that this is what should of happened to the victim, so that a thorough investigation could be launched and the suspect be made known to the proper authorities.

so we just pat her on the back and say wow your lucky. NOO you get to the bottom of it.

[quote=“mcsash”]im saying that this is what should of happened to the victim, so that a thorough investigation could be launched and the suspect be made known to the proper authorities.

so we just pat her on the back and say wow your lucky. NOO you get to the bottom of it.[/quote]

I enjoy how you ignore my comments and change the direction of the argument. No further clarification about hypnotism?
There have been details released about the suspect. Did you read the story posted?
We are all hopeful that the suspect or suspects will be apprehended.

well wherever you get your enjoyment …to each his own.

I didn’t change anything …if you would like to touch on hypnotism then I will.

its like a plumber…use what ever tools are in your tool box to get the job done

LOL :smile:

[quote=“mcsash”]

im on the verge of calling this whole story a complete and utter fabrication.[/quote]

Okay. I know I’m not going to get a straight answer here, but it is fun nonetheless. Do you have proof of this?

well if you know your not getting a straight answer ___________________ then why bait me.

I have my suspicions on the event and if it did in fact happen…just a hunch…

so no straight answer …I have good hunches…and if I was the investigator I would work on them.

[quote=“mcsash”]
so no straight answer …I have good hunches…and if I was the investigator I would work on them.[/quote]

Thanks for answering my question. I am hopeful that the investigators will also have good hunches and catch the person or persons responsible for these crimes. This has gone on far too long.

just wondering how many here think that girl will actually hitchhike again? especially after what happened to her. and being the curious person I am did the girl ever state why she was hitchhiking? Now i’m not saying if something happened to her would have been her fault, if you do something stupid and nothing happens you are just stupid for doing it. but like I asked did she learn anything or will she do something stupid again?

The New Hazelton RCMP in B.C is continuing their investigation into the December 24, 2012 suspicious incident involving a teenage hitchhiker near Kispiox, BC. Investigators have released a copy of a composite sketch of the male suspect driver.

She was picked up by a man driving a red minivan and after a brief conversation, the woman became very uncomfortable and asked to get out of the vehicle. However, the driver did not stop and continued driving in the opposite direction from her intended destination. When the driver slowed to cross a bridge, she jumped from the window of the vehicle.

The driver of the red min van is described as; Caucasian male, heavy set, approximately 40 to 50 years of age. Grey hair and was wearing dark brown glasses and a jean jacket.

The New Hazelton RCMP are asking anyone with information in regards to this investigation to contact Cst. KIM or Sgt. PELLEY at the New Hazleton RCMP Detachment (250) 842-5244. If you would like to remain anonymous please call CRIMESTOPPERS at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

[quote=“jesus”]Just as its ridiculous when feminists get all riled up when people suggest wearing scantily clad clothing alone in a bad area of town late at night might be a bad idea. Its not their fault but they bare some responsibility for it due to their poor decision to put themselves at risk.
[/quote]

Oh for the love of god. Can we please, please, please dispense with the belief that sexual assault victim = foolish hussy wandering around all tarted up in a poorly lit slum? Besides the widely agreed-upon evidence that rape is a crime of power, not passion…I have yet to EVER hear of a woman who was raped because she looked like she was “asking for it”. Women are raped while jogging on recreation paths in the middle of the day, when walking to their cars after work, when they have an abusive lover who gets angry at them, when some sick individual decides to drug them at a club, when they are 65 years old and just walking around the block…etc, etc, etc. And yes, sometimes women get assaulted if they happen to find themselves walking in the wrong part of town; however I highly doubt any rape has ever been prevented because a woman got lost in Crackton but luckily she was wearing jeans instead of a skirt that day, so none of the would-be rapists thought she looked sexy enough to be worth assaulting.

Of course women need to be smart and avoid high-risk situations, but this paternalistic blame-the-victim mentality is not helping anyone. Should the woman in the article have been hitchhiking? Probably not, but I’m going to assume she had reason to feel this was her only option and there is more to the story than we know. And no, a desperate woman hitching a ride on the side of a dangerous highway is NOT the same thing as “them feminists getting riled up because they keep getting harassed when they hang out down at the docks wearing hot pants”. A person clearly in need of help should have a reasonable expectation that she could possibly find a ride to the next town without getting picked up and held against her will by some sick bastard in a van. Who the hell are these men driving our highways masquerading as normal people and then taking advantage of the first vulnerable person they find?