Hike Out to Second Fort

I hiked out to second fort the other week with my girlfriend, took some cool pictures thought we would check it out as it might not be there in a few years, if you havent been out there I suggest you go…

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

I have been meaning to do that for some time now. I haven’t been out there in ages. I guess the only way in now is from the Ridley side since walking the tracks from the port side would be impossible from the construction? I wonder if any of the forts are going to be affected by the new port or the proposed LNG project?

I’d also love to photo the forts on Digby, directly accross the harbor. They are a pain to hike to in the Summer, but I remember them being in great shape last time I went.

Mike

I’ve never been out to any Fort in the Rupert area, or any area for that matter.

I’m deprived.

Someone should clean it up and make it like a heritage site or something. I’vee been out there once. It was really cool actually.

[quote=“JM”]
Someone should clean it up and make it like a heritage site or something. I’vee been out there once. It was really cool actually.[/quote]

I’ve always wished that would happen. There is a ton of information available on these forts through the National Archives. A few years back I requested some of it just out of curiosity and ended up with a stack of inspection reports. Definately interesting reading and a unique insight into how they lived out there.

Mike

A really cool guy named John Wood was working on a project like this for the heritage committee a few years back, unfortunately he passed away really young. Is this something that a bunch of you would take on and do as an outdoor group? Weather’s good and it could become part of a hiking trail. Maybe the two rotary clubs could give you money?