Hey

Can someone tell me what SSE is?

I have a P4 2.66 s478 and a 6600 vid card.

Do i have sse?

Just off the top of my head… :laughing:

Streaming SIMD Extensions (formerly known as Katmai New Instructions) represent a set of instructions integrated into Intel’s Pentium III CPUs. Similar to MMX and 3DNow!, they are intended to speed up CPU performance. While MMX did not have much of an impact, SSE appears to offer significant improvements. SSE is the primary difference between the Pentium II and Pentium III CPUs.

[quote=“Meowth”]Just off the top of my head… :laughing:

Streaming SIMD Extensions (formerly known as Katmai New Instructions) represent a set of instructions integrated into Intel’s Pentium III CPUs. Similar to MMX and 3DNow!, they are intended to speed up CPU performance. While MMX did not have much of an impact, SSE appears to offer significant improvements. SSE is the primary difference between the Pentium II and Pentium III CPUs.[/quote]

Wow, thats word for word what google told me. So if i have a p4 i have sse

No kidding, you didn’t see the LOL! :laughing:
Hello, knock on wood. Of course it’s a google search.

I don’ know? What does your manual say? But check this site out…

http://www.basichardware.com/

Meeow!

P3s and up have SSE, P4s and up have SSE2

The instructions allow you to do math operations on multiple pieces of data at teh same time (SIMD, singe instruction, multiple data)…

so instead of four instructions to do
23423 * 23423 =
37374 *37042 =
337 * 387238 =
977 * 23839=

you can pack all of the numbers (or varibles) into an array like thing, and do it in one instruction

(23423, 37374, 337, 977) * (23423, 37042, 387238, 23839) = (answer1, ans2, ans3, ans4)

You’ll waste instructions having to pack the data into the correct format, but for even doing 2 math operations on it, you get dramtic results.

The diffrence between MMX 1, 2 and SSE 1,2,3, is namely the amount of data the can perform at once. If I remember, MMX is limited to integers liek 324234, and SSE can do floating point operations 23.23423423. I think MMX is limited to 64bits at once, so 8 8 bit numbers, 4 16 bit, or 2 32 bit, and SSE can do 128bits at once, like 4 32 bit numbers at once.

3DNow very smiliar, limited to AMD only chips, and some of the AMD flavours do the Intel style MMX and SSE instructions too. Apple’s G4 stuff does AltiVec.

athlon dual core opterons have sse3

yes they do… so does any 64 bit AMD processor.

MMX was also Intel’s name for the code they bought off AMD. Started using it on the original Pentium chips (166 up, the odd 150 Mhz around) and it made a big difference.
Stopped mentioning it when it got included in the PIIs.
I remember installing many 56k modems and getting the ‘your CPU does not support MMX’ error message as the driver failed.