Here's one for you

If you do a tracert to a site, usually the 1st hop on the outside is your ADSL’s gateway, usually at 254 on your IP block.
Tonight I was on voices-for-change.com the Telus union website that got blocked for awhile and it is always dreadfully slow like dialup.
My gateway is 207.xxx.xxx.254 and tracert to anywhere, it shows as the hop #3, the 1st outside the system (it’s in PG where the cct terminates)
I tracert to VFC and the 1st ouside hop is 64.xxx.xxx.54, which is a Shaw router in Calgary!
WTF?
Shouldn’t the ADSL gateway remain the same, and any routing/NAT happen after the gateway?
Let’s see if HTMF is sharper than Telus.net techs! They’ve got a 20 min head start…

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]If you do a tracert to a site, usually the 1st hop on the outside is your ADSL’s gateway, usually at 254 on your IP block.
Tonight I was on voices-for-change.com the Telus union website that got blocked for awhile and it is always dreadfully slow like dialup.
My gateway is 207.xxx.xxx.254 and tracert to anywhere, it shows as the hop #3, the 1st outside the system (it’s in PG where the cct terminates)
I tracert to VFC and the 1st ouside hop is 64.xxx.xxx.54, which is a Shaw router in Calgary!
WTF?
Shouldn’t the ADSL gateway remain the same, and any routing/NAT happen after the gateway?
Let’s see if HTMF is sharper than Telus.net techs! They’ve got a 20 min head start…[/quote]

icmp redirect… forget what it was called? hah to an isdn/dialup link to shaw? dont believe if the router just forwards it off that it would show up as a hop… I dont quite understand the question… pulled that outta my ass sounded good at the time :wink:

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]If you do a tracert to a site, usually the 1st hop on the outside is your ADSL’s gateway, usually at 254 on your IP block.
WTF?
Shouldn’t the ADSL gateway remain the same, and any routing/NAT happen after[/quote]

the gateway?
Let’s see if HTMF is sharper than Telus.net techs! They’ve got a 20 min head start…

icmp redirect… forget what it was called? hah to an isdn/dialup link to shaw? dont believe if the router just forwards it off that it would show up as a hop… I dont quite understand the question… pulled that outta my ass sounded good at the time :wink:[/quote]

AND!! how much did you just pay for schooling ?

[quote=“jleaman”]

the gateway?

icmp redirect… forget what it was called? hah to an isdn/dialup link to shaw? dont believe if the router just forwards it off that it would show up as a hop… I dont quite understand the question… pulled that outta my ass sounded good at the time :wink:

AND!! how much did you just pay for schooling ?[/quote]

ok jason, what would cause a router to not show up as a hop? turn icmp off? wait no then that hop would time out, could also be a vpn tunnel, I dont quite understand the way it was worded but go ahead explain this to me genius. By the way I was wrong it couldnt be an icmp redirect, however a vpn tunnel would do this quite nicely. Go ahead jason dispute it.