Herb Pond can’t buy us all a beer… But…

Back in the day of the old school politics of the North Coast, legend had it that a long time (and now deceased) Mayor once made a regular election habit of making sure that the vote got out, including those that may wish to spend more of their time at a beverage room than a voting booth.

There never has been any confirmation of this urban myth, of the nocturnal voter being returned to their more familiar environment after marking an X, to be compensated for their civic duty, but it does make for a wonderful story.

Today of course, any self respecting candidate would never think of providing that kind of door to door service to the voting public, but if an advertisement in this week’s Northern Connector, the spirit of that strategy may live on…

(from  the blog a town called podunk, click on the link below to see the entire article atowncalledpodunk.blogspot.com/2 … 9557158925 )-

So much for Larry Hope’s comments that this was a clean campaign.

Not only is the ad completely false, but it gives you no reason to vote for Herb other than Gary will raise the price of beer.  He won’t. 

How about the fact that the NDP would give small business a tax holiday?  How would that affect the price of beer?

Not to mention that the small wine and beer stores now pay some of the highest property taxes in the province, thanks to Herb.

Yeah they seem to have made a conscious decision to take a more negative turn, rather than outline the positive attributes of their candidate (and there are some)

The Northern Connector was rather full of similar declarations for the Liberals, page two with an ad advising that Mr. Pond was “instrumental” in securing funding for the cruise ship and container facilities (a tad creative in description methinks) it stresses the job angle, though in six years of the last two councils jobs went out of town and with them the folks that lived here.

Page ten had a generic ad suggesting that not voting for Liberals leaves the provinces jobs at risk, though there wasn’t much to back up that suggestion.

Page eleven is a declaration from the Independent Power Producers that the NDP would freeze investment and continue to import dirty coal power from the US, though they don’t outline if and where this process currently takes place

Page thirteen has the beer ad, enough said on that silliness…

Page fourteen is a full page ad for Mr. Pond detailing that the future is port development, this of course despite the fact that the current Liberals are spending much more on Delta Port than Fairview, it again stresses how Mr. Pond “delivered” phase one though it doesn’t outline his involvement other than speaking in favour of it…

Page twenty four offered up a more humble request for votes from Donny Van Dyk in Terrace, no bold declarations in that one just your standard Liberal stump speech, not negative just informative.

Not sure who decided that the Pond campaign had to go all thermo nuclear, but it seems a foolish gambit… I would rather have had him outline what he believed he could offer to the riding what he feels he could achieve, hell he may not ever actually achieve any of them, but at least we would know what and where he stands, rather than these goofy and sometimes outright shaded declarations…

Then again they seem to have spent a lot of energy on a newspaper that most people toss into recycling the day that they get it, so that perhaps shows their basic knowledge of getting the message out.

I only discovered the thing because my kid was telling me that Herb Pond wants to save us money on beer, which I thought was a rather funny campaign issue, if he hadn’t mentioned it to me I never would have seen all the other ads…

Tis a strange way to run a campaign.   

Lowering small businesses’ taxes by half a percent for one year will hardly make up for the estimated 450 million dollar cost that small business owners face year-over-year with the NDP’s minimum wage increase.

How much does the carbon tax cost small business?

How much does Herb Pond’s tax record cost small business in Prince Rupert?

It costs them a variable amount depending on how much gasoline they use. Larger companies almost certainly use more fossil fuels than smaller companies, so the tax scales up as consumption increases.

A lot, but obviously the tax hikes were required considering taxes have just been raised again by a different Mayor and Council.

Seems the Liberals are making some weird Ad’s…I’m just waiting for the clown suit to come out…