Hard Drive Crisis

I don’t know if anyone else is aware of this, but there is a supply crisis at the moment for hard drives. I was contacted Weds. and told prices had jumped 25% and more, on Friday a major supplier sent warnings out that they were rationing drives. No more than 5 to a customer per order, and you had to buy a related product one to one on the same order (motherboard, CPU, Windows OEM, etc).
There’s been massive flooding in Thailand that’s closed several factories and particularly one that makes 90% of the hard drive motors. Seagate isn’t flooded, but of course they’re cashing in on the crisis.
If you need one in the near future, and the store hasn’t already re-priced existing stock, grab it now.
I went to order externals for store stock but didn’t. They were asking 50% more than you can get them for at Future Shop or Costco. But that was based on last Sunday’s shelf prices. Who knows this week?

Sounds bogus to me.

Prices are normal at my usual watering hole, tigerdirect.com/applications … -_-CatId_8

x

Wow. Here’s what Google news has to say…

google.com/search?aq=f&hl=en … e+shortage

x

[quote=“DHCollins”]Sounds bogus to me.
[/quote]

Uh…what? i trust herbie’s point of view (he’s an experienced technician).

I did make amends with my second post. :smile: Hadn’t heard a thing about it until today.

Personally, I can’t wait until they’re all solid state. Although I will miss getting the supermagnets out of dead hard drives to play with. Got a fist sized clump of them at this point.

x

[quote=“DHCollins”]I did make amends with my second post. :smile: Hadn’t heard a thing about it until today.

Personally, I can’t wait until they’re all solid state. Although I will miss getting the supermagnets out of dead hard drives to play with. Got a fist sized clump of them at this point.

x[/quote]

You posted what herbie originally stated, not exactly an apology, but, no harm done. I have a solid state drive on my PC at work…very nice and speedy. :smile:

[quote=“DHCollins”]I did make amends with my second post. :smile: Hadn’t heard a thing about it until today.

x[/quote]

The stove door broke in my old rental and the landlord was too damn cheap to replace it. Damned if just two hard drive magnets held than door closed. You really had to pull hard to open it. Good to hold the shower curtain closed too. Those cheap Fields curtains would rip before the magnet would let go.

I get parts the same place tiger direct and ncix do. When the warehouse is out, I have wholesale accounts at those places too. Hardest part of my job is some guy wants a quote for something and he’ll decide next week. I have no idea if those parts will be available next week unless they’re in my stockroom already. Same thing went on with AMD CPUs. They just changed their line-up and damned if the supplier didn’t send me motherboards that maxed and 90W and CPUs that were 125W. Have a couple Chinese guys I call and they find things, he found me older X4 645s but they cost $7 more. Damned if he didn’t also find me motherboards for the new chips and they were $5 less. TIgerdirect had the 645s but they were $15 more and they take to long to come from back east.

ON the bottom of your quotes always say, prices subject to change, then put in brackets ( 24 hours ) and make sure you let customers know this. That way they can’t come back and say well i want it for this price etc etc :smile:

It sux that prices are going up, i was just about to buy 12 2tb drives :frowning: crap…

Ha, I’ve used hard drive magnets on all kinds of stuff. Got one in my medicine chest right now holding sissors and tweezers. Got another one on the fridge door holding my pizza discount coupons.

I give a pair away to kids now and again. They fascinate young and old that something that small can be that powerful. I give them the usual warnings about getting blood blisters on the fingers. Voice of experience, you know…

x