Haida Gwaii Bear Hunt

hi Todd and group; I signed the petition, and as a fellow Islander will you and your friends sign our petition to stop the possible killing of  the coastal wolves that are found on our island. you can find it right here.

kaienislandwolves.com/news_conservation.php

Howaa!

David

I hate it when people use children to try and gain support for their cause.  You realize they most likely have no idea what’s going on, right?

Amen.

[quote=“WhatToDoNow?”]
I hate it when people use children to try and gain support for their cause.  You realize they most likely have no idea what’s going on, right? [/quote]

While it is true that the children are often unaware of the bigger issues…I would challenge you to consider whether those children (when grown) will look back and feel that they have been unethically used - or perhaps they will think “geez, I’m glad my parents taught me to engage and use my voice”.

I wish my grandparents had protested the unsustainable Atlantic cod fisheries.

Personally, I don’t believe that INaction is ever a better example to set for our children.

Even if our beliefs are goofy and we make mistakes - it is still better to believe in something and try to make a difference, than to sit on the sidelines.

Those who say it can’t be done should never interrupt those who are doing it.

If you stand for nothing, you’ll fall for anything. 8)

Doesn’t that explain todays society in a nutshell…  :unamused:

Or you can wait until they are old enough to think for themselves and explain to them that if they believe in something strongly enough, that they should stand up for it.  Brainwashing them into believing what you want them to believe is wrong because there is no one to teach them about the opposing view and they aren’t capable of deciding for themselves what side they want to be on.

[quote=“WhatToDoNow?”]
Or you can wait until they are old enough to think for themselves and explain to them that if they believe in something strongly enough, that they should stand up for it.  Brainwashing them into believing what you want them to believe is wrong because there is no one to teach them about the opposing view and they aren’t capable of deciding for themselves what side they want to be on. [/quote]

Have you ever tried to teach an older child anything? If they haven’t learned basic values and morals by the time they can make up their own minds - then what on earth are they basing those decisions upon.

C’mon - get real. Obviously your parents instilled values into you when you were little. They made choices that effected you and involved you. Every single one of us has been effected by things we saw our parents doing or bringing us along for.

My child had no choice or understanding in the matter when I chose to move to Northern BC. She also had no choice or understanding in the daycares I have chosen, the schools I have chosen…etc etc.

Get it yet?

As parents, EVERYTHING we do sets an example for our kids. But if our kids never see us stand up for anything or even try something new (make mistakes, tell them what we learned from our mistakes) then we are raising a generation of disengaged people. I believe THAT is more destructive than any mistake we can make.

Teach your children the difference between right and wrong, sure. But don’t teach them what is right and wrong.  The kids in the photos have effectively been taught killing bears is wrong.  These kids don’t fully understand the issues and have been used, in my opinion, as a media stunt. 

[quote=“TranscendingRationality”]
The kids in the photos have effectively been taught killing bears is wrong. [/quote]

How do you know that those kids didn’t eat bear for dinner??

I have bear meat in my freezer.

I do not protest hunting bears - I protest trophy hunting. I also believe in supporting local people’s wishes about how local resources are to be used.

I think the issue is that the hunting regulations on Haida Gwaii are controlled by the province, not the locals.  BC doesn’t seem to have a problem with trophy hunting. 

So perhaps the focus of the protest needs to move to a debate about whether the locals should control their own hunting regulations.

No, I think you missing the point here, we just don’t want trophy hunting of the bears and yes BC doesn’t seem to have a problem with trophy hunting when they should.

You hit that right on the head MiG!
I would support any effort to encourage more local management, and not only that, but to keep more benifits in the area.

No, you missed the point.  Mig was right.

check out the new posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AIjV3lJ0Bs)

Looks just like the first video.

The wildlife over there is not like it is here. Wilderness and animals are much less disturbed and introduded on like they are on the mainland. It didn’t run because it didn’t think there was immediate danger I’m assuming. As much of the wildlife is on the Charlottes. This is like quayle hunting.  :unamused:

Hunting for food is one thing, trophy hunting is unacceptable. Even if you do down an animal, you’re supposed to at least have a little respect that you took its life so you may live(food). Mankind…one day we’ll pay for our exploits.  :unamused:

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]
trophy hunting is unacceptable. Even if you do down an animal, you’re supposed to at least have a little respect that you took its life so you may live(food).[/quote]

Who says?

Obviously >not< you