Haida Gwaii Bear Hunt

Since someone is bringing up hunts…

There is an organized effort to halt the hunting of black bears on Haida Gwaii.
bearshaidagwaii.net/

This video clip is very disturbing to those opposed to the hunt. In fact, it is very disturbing to real hunters too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AIjV3lJ0Bs)

As someone who lived in Haida Gwaii for some time I can honestly say I never seen such a shitty thing as in that video, My haida friends have great respect for the black bear and I don’t know anyone who would hunt them.
that bear in the video was small I seen 400 to 600 Pound black bears there. thanks for sharing the link.

I can honestly say that if I found or learned of anyone doing that, I’d probably cut their brakes and slash their tires. What barbarity.

yeah, I agree with you people.

and they had the nerve to make a joke about “shooting right up it’s ass!”

Thats hunting for ya boyz and girlz…
Been there and seen it…

I can understand hunters being enthusiastic about the success of the hunt.  After all, hunters consider it a sport an when you succeed at sport, you’re happy. 
What I can’t understand is  the way this was done.  I’m not a hunter myself, nor did I ever take part in a hunt but the “sporting” part seems to be missing from this video.
I like eating deer and moose meat when friends are generous with their kills, but if today’s hunting looks like this, I’m certainly not interested in purchasing hunting rifles and gear to take part.

I have been on several successful hunts…on my hunts this behaviour was common.
I dont own fire arms or do i think I would ever want to pull the trigger…I just like going fo rthe ride

I just don’t get this Bear hunt at all… 

some please explain what the reason for this is besides the killing of a bear.

Beleive me,  we on Haida Gwaii want this stopped!

Welcome to HTMF, Haida Gwaiian!

I don’t understand how they call hunting a sport???  Hockey is a sport, Baseball is a sport…two opponents facing off against one another to see who is “better”.  Hunting bears NO RESEMBLANCE to any ‘sport’ I’ve played or watched.  There was absolutely NO sport involved in that video.  That was shameful. :angry:

Its very much a sport.
I was scared shitless hunting the bear down.  We were also hunted byt he bear and it could of gone either way.  I seriously was frightended when i seen y buddy sticking a branch down the barrel of the gun and a bear with in 50ft grunting and grunting…
was very startling

Jeez…find someone who can aim or at least wait for a good shot…Im not against hunting, just wait for the right shot…that was nasty :angry:

What’s everyone getting in a huff about?  Guy shoots and hits the bear.  The bear isn’t dead from the first shot (it happens) and tries to get away.  Guy shoots him again, and again until the bear is dead.  Do you think this is cruel? 

They joke around about shooting him up his ass at the end but so what.  Sounds like some of you hippies would rather they hold a candlelight vigil. 

Anyway, here’s a nice little video sort of related to this topic.  It’s pretty interesting.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN9YgmUSeKQ)

Not everyone is Rambo.

there are video games for that.

What does that even mean?

Shouldn’t you people all be on the East Coast protesting the seal hunt right now?

San uu dang giidang !
How are you !

Dear Friends,

I have just read and signed the petition: “Halt the hunting of Black bears on Haida Gwaii”.

Please take a moment to read about this important issue, and join me in signing the petition. It takes just 30 seconds, but can truly make a difference. We are trying to reach 5,000 signatures - please sign here (link): Halt the Hunt,
thepetitionsite.com/1/halt-t … aida-gwaii

Once you have signed, you can help even more by asking your friends and family to sign as well.

Howaa! Todd

More news …

Young activists protest the trophy bear hunt last weekend.

Bear Spirit Rising: Islanders upset about the opening of the spring bear hunt April 1 held a demonstration on Beitush Road along with a dinner and music event in Tlell on Sunday.

Protestor Casey Cudmore, said a convoy of five vehicles drove to the Tlell River House. Several children knocked on the door intending to ask the owners, who organize guided hunting trips, to stop killing bears. No one answered.

Mr. Cudmore says a camp will be set up on Beitush Road and someone will be there everyday “until the spring hunt stops.” He was unaware of any graffiti on highway dividers nearby, but said, “we can’t control people. They are upset all over the islands.”

Source: qciobserver.com/Article.aspx?Id=3203

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Naw - baiting homosapiens (I assume) on htmf is way more fun.

:smiley: