Green Apple gains 45 days to find a fix for its structural challenges

Yeah it’s the time and effort etc…
His whole life’s work …
You are correct other wise it looks the same as many years ago,
I do remember also that the space was a chinese restaurant for a short period, prior to becoming the Green Apple… 

Can somebody inform me/us as to what type of business Nora’s corner was?
Was it like a 7/11 ?  Just curious to know.

Nora’s Corner was a newstand confectionary, of course not as fancy as modern places like 7-11… 
Nora’s Corner was there ages ago… Time flys…  Wish I could remember the name of the Chinese Food place that was there prior to Gordon

The Happy Dragon and before that it was called the Red something-or-other if I recall after being Noras corner.

Happy Dragons was also owned and operated by Gordie before he switched to the fish and chip business.

While we’re on the topic of “old and rundown buildings”…does anyone remember the Colleen Appartments and the Elizabeth Appartments.  What did happen to those old buildings?  Did they burn down and got demolished?  Does anybody knows about their faith?

The Elizabeth apartments burned down a few years ago.  What were the Colleen apartments??  I don’t remember hearing that name before.

If I remember well, the Colleen Apartments were near (or besides) the Oceanview Hotel–on First Ave. W.

Colleen Apts were towards Rafles…  down a couple doors up from  the Sea Way Apts on same street…

[quote=“WhatTheHack!!”]Does anybody knows about their faith?
[/quote]

Buildings other than churches and temples don’t have a religion. lol

Faith as meaning OUTCOME
Is interesting to observe that bonecracker understood what I meant but not you…IGNORAMUS.

That would be “fate”, not “faith”.

Bonecracker just took pity on you.

I guess you’re right…it is fate…well sorry then, I’m the IGNORAMUS
I’ve more “faith” in you now.  Thank you for the english lesson.

And at least you’re a good sport about it, not like some people I’ve met on here :wink:

hackingthemainframe.com/smf/inde … l#msg63574

FYI Colleen apts live on, the present owner (John_____?)built a large single family home inside of the Colleen and tore down the exterior.
The Colleen’s DNA lives on in the large green (i think) house 2 or 3 houses up from the Seaview Aptson 1st Ave…

The owner of the old DQ builidng drove all of his tenants out (DQ, R&D Auto etc) I would not wish a relationship of any kind with that man on my worst enemy.

I have known Gord since he and his brother owned the Port Ed Cafe adn I wish him well with his problem.
Sure Gordie didn’t put any money into the building I wouldn’t either if I had a 20+ year fight with city hall howe much of the problem is Gord’s and how much is the City"s who knows.

I show my age when I say I remember the building when it was Ben’s Newstand and was the only place other than Macey’s who sold soft Ice Cream. 

If any of you listened to the comments made by Herb Pond on CBC, you should be able to draw your own conclusions…  The City has neglected this area far too long.  It is only opinion, but should they have not ensured the retaining walls, which belong to all of us, were maintained properly?

Agree fully and as an Addendum, if the retaining wall is found to be the source of the issues with the building, then the City will have a major liability on it’s hands. I just hope that instead of using it’s lawyers to continue to stonewall Mr. Lam they do the right thing by him… after 20 years of trying to avoid it.

It is sad indeed that the City have found the backbone to close down an old business man where at the max there may be … 20 people (fully awake, dressed and usually sober) in the place at any one time whereas the flop house known as the Innlander continues in business. Seems to me the risks to life are so much greater in the Innlander.

With respect to the Dairy Queen property… my sympathies to anyone that attempts to conduct business with the owner. 

I see other posters have pointed out other public retaining walls that the city has not maintained and suggest that until the city gets real about managing the assets they are administering… we will continue to see our services fail and be cancelled all the while paying the highest taxes in BC.