Great grudges in the world of soccer

“If it was Kaka, an ordinary guy, a good guy, of course I would have apologized. But to this one!â€

All we (the british) remember is the ‘hand of god’… never forgiven Maradonna for that one, never will!

So is it too much of a sensitive subject for us to joke about it? :wink:

How about Man City’s Wayne Bridge and Chelsea’s John Terry?  Bridge turned down his spot on the English National Team for the upcoming World Cup, because he couldn’t stand the thought of being on the same pitch as Terry.

The offence?  Terry slept with Bridge’s girlfriend.  And got her preggers.  And paid for the abortion.  And tried to bribe her to keep it quiet.  Terry was stripped of his status as English captain because of it.

Or how about every Irish player in the world and Henry?

Sorry, Hand of god is still way more painful (The Bridge/Terry thing is just tabloid fodder!)

Dont forget, the UK had not long ago been at war with Argentina over the Falkland Islands (255 Brits died and 649 Argentinians died), shops wouldn’t sell Argentinian beef still… It wasn’t just a football match, it was personal!

Well Maradona gets credit for the goal that immediately followed The Hand of God.

For the rest of us, that goal more than made up for the previous one.   I totally get how Maradona would be the English fans’ #1 grudge, though.  Beating the English at their own game, the blatant hand ball, and then the goal of the century:

“Maradona’s second goal was to be later voted by FIFA as the greatest goal in the history of the World Cup. He received the ball in his own half, swivelled around, and with 11 touches ran more than half the length of the field, dribbling past five English players: (Glenn Hoddle, Peter Reid, Kenny Sansom, Terry Butcher, and Terry Fenwick) and goalkeeper Peter Shilton. This goal was voted the Goal of the Century in a 2002 online poll conducted by FIFA.”

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Mara … _World_Cup

Too bad he went a bit crazy in the 90s!  And he’s the reason Argentina won’t be a real contender for the 2010 World Cup, despite having all the awesome talent.

Much as it pains me, that was an amazing goal!