Google voice

Maybe this is old news but has anyone used google voice yet? Just installed it, works fine. Time to delete the skype account. google.com/voice

I’ve been using it for over a year now, but don’t have many friends who use gmail.

It does work well though a bit choppy because of shittywest speeds. One would think with ADSL you could stream videos etc without having to buffer.

As of yesterday, anyone with a normal gmail account can make free calls to anywhere in North America. No need for Google Voice to make calls.

Works right from the browser. Works just fine here. Integrates well with Google Voice if you already have it.

I have made a bunch of calls with Gmail today both local and long distance within BC and it works fine.

I have a Google Voice account too, it links up with the Gmail calling no problem.

However the Google Voice account has a Washington state local phone number associated with it. Anyone who wants to call me on Google voice will have to pay for a long distance call unless they happen to live in Washington state.

So I am trying to figure out what the point is to having Google Voice. It would be nice to switch my Google Voice phone number to a local BC phone number but I can not see a way to do it.

[quote=“MiG”]As of yesterday, anyone with a normal gmail account can make free calls to anywhere in North America. No need for Google Voice to make calls.

Works right from the browser. Works just fine here. Integrates well with Google Voice if you already have it.[/quote]

Does it work in Canada, or are you currently in the US? Or are you using some kind of proxy? I haven’t been able to see/find this feature within Gmail - if it is available in Canada where in Gmail is it hiding?

[quote=“Dave”]

Does it work in Canada, or are you currently in the US? Or are you using some kind of proxy? I haven’t been able to see/find this feature within Gmail - if it is available in Canada where in Gmail is it hiding?[/quote]

From what I understand you have to first change your gmail settings to English-US, after which google presumably regards your account as being in the US, such that the service is available. I haven’t tried it yet, but would be interested to know how or if it works.

works great, used it to talk to a friend in Rupert for 2 hours.

http://static.product-reviews.net/wp-content/uploads/gmail-google-voice-now-included-with-call-phone-button-11.jpg

[quote=“Soggy”]I’ve been using it for over a year now, but don’t have many friends who use gmail.

It does work well though a bit choppy because of shittywest speeds. One would think with ADSL you could stream videos etc without having to buffer.[/quote]

Crap, I’m brain dead. I was thinking Google Video Chat. Now I’ve gotta get a headset to make calls.

[quote=“Soggy”]

[quote=“Soggy”]I’ve been using it for over a year now, but don’t have many friends who use gmail.

It does work well though a bit choppy because of shittywest speeds. One would think with ADSL you could stream videos etc without having to buffer.[/quote]

Crap, I’m brain dead. I was thinking Google Video Chat. Now I’ve gotta get a headset to make calls.[/quote]

I use my Lenovo T510 laptop with the built in speakers & mic, it’s very clear.

The Mac microphone is under the left speaker grill and when used with Google phone causes an echo.

turn it down then :smile: i’ve never had any problems using the built in mic & speakers on any mac laptop or dekstop, turn the mic down, it will help.

Pan the audio to the right speaker

[quote=“MiG”]As of yesterday, anyone with a normal gmail account can make free calls to anywhere in North America. No need for Google Voice to make calls.
[/quote]

Works well here on my Slackware 13.1 Linux box. I compiled the .deb source that google offers and created a Slackware package for Fire Fox 3.6.8. I called my Mom and Dad down in Delta today. Good voice quality. :smile: