Google Chrome

blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/

Google is going to introduce its own browser.  What’s interesting is that they’re going to base it on Webkit, not on Gecko.  What does that say about the two different styles of open-source development?

Webkit looks like an interesting alternative to Gecko.  I like their ideas about better memory management. :sunglasses: 
I think this innovation is a good thing as it will push the other browsers to improve.

[quote] SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) – Google Inc. is releasing its own Web browser in a long-anticipated move aimed at countering the dominance of Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer and ensuring easy access to its market-leading search engine.

The Mountain View, California-based company took the unusual step of announcing its latest product on the Labor Day holiday after it prematurely sent out a comic book drawn up to herald the new browser’s arrival.

The free browser, called “Chrome,” is supposed to be available for downloading Tuesday in more than 100 countries for computers running on Microsoft’s Windows operating system. Google said it’s still working on versions compatible with Apple Inc.'s Mac computer and the Linux operating system.[/quote]

No versions just yet for Apple or Linux, that is in development.

CNN

So I’ve been using it all day, seems pretty good. Some sites render faster than Firefox 3, some slower. I can’t say with any definition that I prefer either one so far.

A few sites have rendered slightly differently (different colours and stuff like that, nothing major), I think due to differing CSS interpretations. Has anyone heard any word on how the various browsers rate in terms of standards compliance?

Obligatory screenshot follows.

[attachments over a year old automatically deleted]

The latest webkit passed the latest ACID test 100%.

I’ve found Flash performance to be worse in Chrome so far.

Edit: Youtube works great, I guess what I mean to say is I’ve found the Flashy bits of mlb.com to be kinda jerky.

Chrome is not too bad, I think I will stick to fire fox for a bit longer :smiley:

Seems to render most sites quite fast, didn’t crash and burn like the Safari beta does on this Vista box. I’ll still be using FF3, but a couple work boxes will go Chrome instantly.
Just for the multiple tabs. 

Anyone try this new browser out?

hackingthemainframe.com/smf/inde … 153.0.html :smiley:

I’m having browser problems on my iBook.  The last upgrade of Firefox seemed to have some failure in it because I can’t launch the browser at all.  On top of that, when I try to download Chrome with safari, it looks like it doesn’t allow the download to happen.
And I got rid of IE cause I just didn’t use it! :neutral_face:

That’s because not all sites are compatible with the browser, particularly Flash sites.

If you have Safari, you already have the “heart” of Chrome, which is the Webkit rendering engine.  Chrome itself doesn’t have a Mac version yet.

Trash Firefox from the apps folder, and look in “YOURNAME/Library/Application Support” and trash the “Firefox” folder.  (folders will be named differently in French).

Then download the latest Firefox and drag it into your apps folder again.  What version of Mac OS X is on your iBook?

Works now.  I had forgotten the application support folder.

…complete with security fixes!

I installed it on a backroom pc that monitors 8 internal systems in different tabs. Most of the ppl I’ve showed Chrome to just went “oh” and drooled their way back to IE…

I need a internet browser that can load 2 seconds faster than my current browser…if u know a browser let me know
b

Pick your nose for an extra two seconds - problem solved.

Faster browsers?  I don’t know what your current browser is. :smile:
If you’re running IE 7 there are a number of other faster browsers.  Fire Fox 3.0.5, Opera 9.63, Chrome 1.0 come to mind.

Fire Fox 3.0.5

Opera 9.63

Chrome

Chrome is the fastest browser at the moment, followed by Safari.  Like Hitest suggested Firefox is also good by I’d download the beta for 3.1 it’s a lot faster then the current release of Firefox.

Ah, billy, I take back what I said about you in the port delayed thread, back to normal again. :unamused:

I was actually making fun of you guys…never thought you would take it serious