Good laptop?

futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde … 985&catid=

futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde … 945&catid=

futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde … 943&catid=

futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde … 940&catid=

How did I know Future Shop mark up laptops were coming?  The one I chose is $850 but it’s on sale.  Also, how can you compare those to the one I chose?  The only thing better about those is the processor speed.  Everything else about mine is the same or better, especially when all those have shared video memory and mine is stand alone 256 MB.

Well, if you call 10-50$ markup, then sure, we don’t make money on laptops or tv.

It is when mine’s $100 less than it usually is.  Again, how can you compare those to the one I chose?  The only thing better about those is the processor speed.  Everything else about mine is the same or better, especially when all those have shared video memory and mine is stand alone 256 MB.

Vista uses 1 GB itself.  All those laptops run slow as shit even with a faster processor because the shared video is using up another 512 MB or more on some of them leaving 512 or less for other apps.  So right when you buy them you gotta drop another $50 or so just to upgrade the memory.

You know what buy the dam thing, then when you complain that the laptop is a over sized piece of plastic that feels really brittle. TRUST ME i was forced to use one every day, and well i got fedup and got the company to get me a cheaper slower compaq.

The oil from your hands stain the plastic really easy, the plastic is very thin and breaks, but hey if you want to buy it GO NUTS!

[quote=“jleaman”]
You know what buy the dam thing, then when you complain that the laptop is a over sized piece of plastic that feels really brittle. TRUST ME i was forced to use one every day, and well i got fedup and got the company to get me a cheaper slower compaq.

The oil from your hands stain the plastic really easy, the plastic is very thin and breaks, but hey if you want to buy it GO NUTS![/quote]

I’m going to for the sole reason that you hate it.

HAHAH, go nuts, i don’t care.

#2 is the HP my ‘friend’ just returned with the broken A key, I found it flimsy, the display dim running battery mode.
#3 Is the one I scooped the other day and chose for myself. Got it cheap cuz they originally came w 1 GB, but I have a closet full of RAM. Just setting it up now, I stuffed 4 GBs in it before I even turned it on. The keyboard is better than the HP, they’re bigger and not jammed so close you hit the pipe key or capslock constantly. The display is 1000% nicer, it feels more solid too.
#2 has a Geoforce6150, #3 an ATI 1200. Both rate only a 3.0 with Vista scoring. But my ‘friend’ wouldn’t return my HP until I threatened to beat on him because it was good enough to play WoW

The Acer you picked isn’t as nice looking as either of these models, but that’s personal opinion only. My only anti-Acer gripe is that they tend to use shitty Broadcom wireless.

I’m in the process of dumping Adobe, Norton, Office 2007 and installing real programs on it.

He said 750$, so i picked the first few, never researched them or any thing else.

Personally id save he $$ and buy a macbook :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]The Acer you picked isn’t as nice looking as either of these models, but that’s personal opinion only. My only anti-Acer gripe is that they tend to use shitty Broadcom wireless.

I’m in the process of dumping Adobe, Norton, Office 2007 and installing real programs on it.
[/quote]

Looks don’t matter that much to me.  If I cared about that, I’d go with the Dell XPS I had originally picked out.  Besides, if it looks ugly, maybe no one will want to steal it.  :smile:

I just checked, the Acer I picked uses this:

Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (dual-band quad-mode 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N) network connection, supporting Acer SignalUp™ with InviLink™ Nplify™ wireless technology or Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (dual-band tri-mode 802.11a/b/g) Wi-Fi CERTIFIED® network connection, supporting Acer SignalUp™ wireless technology

WPAN: Bluetooth® 2.0+EDR
(selected models)

I’m gonna switch out to 4 GB also.  I don’t really need to but I know Vista will run better with it.

I bought my HP DV6704CA from Futureshop, on sale for $750 (I think, might have been $850, bought it about 2 months ago).

I’ve been really happy with it actually (much more so now that I’ve got XP running perfectly on it).

My biggest gripe about it is the keyboard, for two reasons.

One,  it’s some sort of multilingual keyboard or something, so I had to get used to one of the shift keys and the enter key being smaller. Not a big deal. However, the keyboard does feel cheap and weak. Exactly like herbie was saying, I find that when I’m typing rapidly with my fingers on the home row, sometimes my left pinky will catch underneath the cap of the A key, and I’m worried I’ll tear the cap off.

About 3 years ago, we got an Acer (I couldn’t even tell you now what the specs are, it plays WOW acceptably (not so great in the Burning Crusade zones), and while it’s not pretty, I found the keyboard to be much sturdier.

The touchpad mouse on the HP is nicer, but I couldn’t say whether that’s an Acer vs. HP thing, or if it’s a 2005 vs. 2008 thing.

Yeah the keyboard was what turned me off the HP. The A key is half off, it was a French-Cdn model that gave endless BS until I wiped and reinstalled VPH (still had so many weird marks on the keys, it was hard to tell things).
Been using the Toshiba all night haven’t locked the cap or typed a pipe ( | ) yet. My only concern is the white keys… ain’t staying that way too long the way I use laptops!

• The Intel wireless I’ve run into was better than the Broadcom stuff. I liked the Atheros on my old Toshiba and on my Asus Eee. They pick up way more APs than the Broadcoms did. This unit has Realtek, so I’ll have to see. It doesn’t see my mountaintop AP that’s about a mile away. The Atheros did.

Mine has Atheros wireless, which I’ve been happy with, except when it came to getting it to work in a non-Vista OS (which required some Googling, but I have successfully done in both Ubuntu and XP).

That’s what sold me on Ubuntu - the first Linux distro that found and configured my Atheros wireless.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
I’m on my new laptop right now!!! I love it.

I may take some time adjusting to the new keyboard but other than that its fricken wicked!!!

I’m so happy.

Im happy for you too

I’m jealous, Bubbasteve’s new laptop is better than my Desktop PC =\

Congrats. Glad you like your new laptop.
Certainly enjoying mine.

Awesome news, bubbasteve735!  I’m glad you’re happy with it! :sunglasses:

What did you get for a machine ?