Gondola.. revisited

Scrub, I’ve been saying that for years lol… Look at Ketchican same layout as us, and they have so much more in fact a Gondola that goes up a cliff to a mountain. lots of money brought in there!

They would deffinately have to do something about the access road and the traffic coming UP it. That situation could hold a pretty annoying argument about the use of Bikecycles on the Gondola, unless they close down the road during operational hours.

I don’t know how they’ll handle the ideo of Mt Hays being Lift-Access?

its not about building a bike park, or anything even mentioning lift accessed riding, its about building a tea chalet up top w/ a gondola to get to it for tourists

then, the side effect is, i take my biek up to the top of the mtn in the gondola, go to the tea chalet, sit on their deck, drink from the hose, smoke a fatty in front of the tourists and then disappear somewhere down the side of the mountain.

the purpose of the gondola cant be overtly for anything intense like biking. its just a tea chalet for elderly americans.

plus if you’ve been paying attention… the road wont be the fun way to come down in a couple months hopefully.

What’s a “fatty”?

Slang word for a cooking untensil.

In 1992, I was in charge of organizing an exchange between PRSS students and students from a high school in Quebec ( Louiseville). When the Quebec students came here, the last group activity we did was a picnic on Mount Hays. We took the gondola and hiked around at the top. Beautiful sunny day. This was, according to the students, the perfect way to cap a great week in PR. I think they closed the gondola the following year. Too bad!

I haven’t lived in Prince rupert for a long time, but I’ve heard about the gondola holding some sort of record. Was it the steapest or something?

Back in the day (when I was much younger) I remember traveling up Mt. Hays in the gondola. The city use to have Canada day picnics up there. Fun stuff. Yes, it would be nice to have it re-openned, even only as a summer thing.

So this idea doesnt suck? I suppose its like asking a bunch of kids if they want to go to Disneyland, of course they all want to go, but who’s gonna pony up.

I wonder where I’d start to see what sort of costs we’re talking… to the library! Tomorrow. Maybe.

Some stats on the Juneau “Mt. Roberts Tramway”
-from 27 feet to 1800 feet in 6 minutes
-leaves from the side of the cruise ship?

and at…$20 USD an adult and $12 USD a kid…thats a bit of money. And thats just from the tram, no restaurants or who knows what.

[quote]This unforgettable adventure begins at the cruise ship dock in downtown Juneau where you board a tramcar adorned in colorful Tlingit artwork that provides an exhilarating ride through the Southeast Alaska rainforest to the 1800 foot level of Mount Roberts. Experience one of the most expansive and beautiful views offered in all Alaska. From the Chilkat Mountains to the north; down the Gastineau Channel to the lands and waterways of the south; west to Douglas Island; and east into Silver Bow Basin where gold was discovered near the head of Gold Creek in 1880.

Once at the top, enjoy the amenities of the Mountain Station. The Mountain Station is nestled among towering Sitka Spruce trees on the edge of the grasses and wildflowers of the sub-alpine. The Station houses the Chilkat Theater, Timberline Bar & Grill, Mountain Top Gifts, and offers access to The Nature Center and the extensive Mount Roberts trail system. Visitors are introduced to the Tlingit culture through the award winning film Seeing Daylight, shown in the Chilkat Theater. Native artists are often featured in the Station working on wood, fossilized ivory or silver carvings.[/quote]

http://www.goldbelt.com/subsidiaries/MRT.html
another link : http://www.alaska.net/~junotram/

Mt Hays:
altitude at top: 703m (2300 feet)
old gondola went to about 1800 feet based on the topo map I have.

There used to be lots of hiking trails and boardwalks around the top of the mountain, all of them have turned to mush or been grown over by now, but it would be a dope project for some people to build really nice boardwalk interpretive type trails up there…

god damn, this seems more and more like a good idea.
i will not sleep until Prince Rupert has our very own J. Althea, renowned piano entertainer rockin out at 1800 feet above sea level!!!

http://www.goldbelt.com/subsidiaries/assets/JAlthea.jpg

A patition to get the gondala back up will help.

I think I can help you with funding there scrub. You see, I got this email from a general in Africa who needs someone to deposits a huge sum of money for him…

First, you’d have to do a little engineering to the mountain. Part of it slide away.

Then you’d have to make the gondola one way — to the top.

Next, because we should be celebrating rain, there should be a waterslide to the bottom. I wanna try that straight down speed tube.

that would kick ass if they put the gondola back up… i think at the top of mt hays is the best place to see all of rupert…