GNU/Linux Distribution Timeline

If you’re into Linux this is an interesting timeline to take a look at. :smile:

GNU/Linux Distribution Timeline

Personally, I just call it “Linux” … without the GNU. Drives the Richard Stallman-types crazy.

I also use the term “Open Source” instead of “Free Software.”

[quote=“MiG”]Personally, I just call it “Linux” … without the GNU. Drives the Richard Stallman-types crazy.

I also use the term “Open Source” instead of “Free Software.”[/quote]

Agreed. I’m not into the politically correct terminology either (I copied/pasted the title for the topic). :smile:
I love watching Stallman interviews. I remember one where Leo Laporte was interviewing him and Leo referred to Linux as Linux. Stallman immediately cut him off and said GNU/Linux. The look on Leo’s face was priceless.

[quote=“MiG”]Personally, I just call it “Linux” … without the GNU. Drives the Richard Stallman-types crazy.

I also use the term “Open Source” instead of “Free Software.”[/quote]

Thats not free enough man.

Speaking of FOSS stuff I really like this browser, I just compiled it from source. :smile:

Very cool stuff.

Speaking of this kind of thing, what’s everyone’s favourite distro these days?

I don’t really follow the scene any more, and my only linux box is running Ubuntu server.

I have Xubuntu on a laptop, and Linux Mint on another one.

Eso,

My main work station is running Slackware 13.37. My secondary work station is running OpenBSD 5.0. I also have an Acer netbook running Slackware 13.37. My 8 year old is running a dual boot of Slackware-current and XP Pro SP3 on her PC. My wife is running Slackware 13.37 on her desktop.

Moving back to debian from Ubuntu due to the stupid shit theyve been pulling.

Funny, it’s because of the crap that Debian pulls that I stick with Ubuntu. You know, like refusing to include anything that’s not “free” even if it’s open source.

Ubuntu is like having a ‘real world’ layer on Debian. I wouldn’t be able to use Debian on one of my laptops, because they wouldn’t allow me to use a particular driver that’s maintained by a guy who uses a sensible open source license :smile: Just way too many hoops to jump through with the GNU people. They’re a political movement, not an Open Source movement.

Here’s a quick peek into the mind of GNU: Richard Stallman’s Speech Rider. Won’t speak at an “Open Source” event, and would freak out at people who mistakenly call their OS “Linux” or “Open Source.” Tells people to use Ogg when recording his speech!

Not being much of a Unity fan, I’m trying Linux Mint12 on the Netbook. The other Netbook is Ubuntu 11.10 but after seeing mine, they want to switch to Mint.
My server bank is all !0.04 LTS

Netbooks were Win7 XtraLame, worse than useless for working on networks. Unless you like watching spinning blue circles.

Try Xubuntu before giving up on Ubuntu. I haven’t ever kept a stock Ubuntu install. It’s always the XFCE version. Much lighter footprint, and runs nicer on older computers too.

[quote=“MiG”]Funny, it’s because of the crap that Debian pulls that I stick with Ubuntu. You know, like refusing to include anything that’s not “free” even if it’s open source.

Ubuntu is like having a ‘real world’ layer on Debian. I wouldn’t be able to use Debian on one of my laptops, because they wouldn’t allow me to use a particular driver that’s maintained by a guy who uses a sensible open source license :smile: Just way too many hoops to jump through with the GNU people. They’re a political movement, not an Open Source movement.

Here’s a quick peek into the mind of GNU: Richard Stallman’s Speech Rider. Won’t speak at an “Open Source” event, and would freak out at people who mistakenly call their OS “Linux” or “Open Source.” Tells people to use Ogg when recording his speech![/quote]

When it comes to annoying things being not free enough is a far cry from ripping off a developers revenue stream like they did with banshee or completely ignoring your userbase like ubuntu did with unity. I dont disagree that some of debians decisions are less than intelligent but its a stable base OS which works for me with a bit of customization. A tradeoff thats worth it to me.

The old Ubuntu Netbook Remix (precursor to v11) was the best OS for Netbooks I found. Loved how you set it on a network config and it found itself again months later. Easier than NetSetMan using on XP and hoping it even worked or even WIN7PRO and those godawful can’t-do-shit until that spinning circle times out.
And that godawful IE8 that took ages to even start… I want to smack anyone I see even using it.

Slackware 13.37 and XFce4 on my Acer netbook works quite well. I was using wicd as my wireless utility; I have since switched to using networkmanager which is much easier to use. I also run some VMs on Slackware.

I found Ubuntu 11.10 slow and sluggish and total cpu & video intensive. I ran Debian 6.0 x64 on a core 2 duo 2.2 with 2 gigs ram and a 120 gig ssd, and it was VERY fast and snappy…

Now i run Debian on my spare Dell Optiplex 980, that has a dual dvi video card that runs 2 23" lcd’s 4 gigs ram and quade core i5.

Debian, is my fav as of now…

Debian has been my favorite since about a week after I tried to install redhat 5.1 over dialup from the installation server Mig had setup at chss.

Although I am not into the politics of Debian there is no denying that it is a rock-steady distro. I would probably run Debian or Scientific Linux if Slackware disappeared.