Geotagging

How do I avoid geotagging on my smartphone?

What’s geotagging??

Basically information, mostly contained in photographs taken on smart-devices at this point, is captured. The exact location, and other identifying information is shared with whomever has the ability to extrapolate such information (and it is not difficult by any means). Where you were or are at any particular moment is revealed. Adam, of myth-buster fame revealed his home address via a picture he took and posted of his vehicle.

I understand turning off the GPS function is possibly a way to avoid this, but not completely sure. Also once an image is shared, is there any way to modify/remove?

Here’s an explanation from About.com:

What is Geotagging?
Geotagging or geocoding is a way to add geographical meta data to photos, RSS feeds, and websites. A geotag can define the longitude and latitude of the tagged item. Or it can define the location place name or regional identifier. It can also include information such as the altitude and bearing.

What type of smartphone do you have?

• iPhone (model?)
  • BlackBerry (model?)
  • Other…?

Depends on your phone. On iPhone, it asks your permission before geotagging your photos. In fact it asks your permission before any app can use the GPS.

If you want to remove geotag information from a photo, bring it into photoshop and “save for web” and remove any meta-data.

Speaking of Adam Savage and geotagging, check this out:

flickr.com/photos/mig/5556759690/

[quote=“MiG”]Depends on your phone. On iPhone, it asks your permission before geotagging your photos. In fact it asks your permission before any app can use the GPS.

If you want to remove geotag information from a photo, bring it into photoshop and “save for web” and remove any meta-data.

Speaking of Adam Savage and geotagging, check this out:

flickr.com/photos/mig/5556759690/[/quote]

taken at
36 deg 0’ 44.40" N
GPS Longitude 115 deg 9’ 43.80" W

I love geo tagging. I tag almost all my shots.

[quote=“photoguy”]taken at
36 deg 0’ 44.40" N
GPS Longitude 115 deg 9’ 43.80" W[/quote]

Yup, it’s right there on the map in the upper right-hand corner.

torch 9800. A photo with the man. Nice.

I don’t have the Torch, so I’m not 100% sure if it’s the same, but on other models it’s done like this:

1. Turn on the BlackBerry
  2. Select the “camera” application
  3. Press the BlackBerry button
  4. Scroll to options, and select “options”
  5. Scroll down to “Geotagging”
  6. Select “disable”, if the current status says “enable”

I hope this works…It has worked for my 3 previous models of the BlackBerry line.

There’s been lots of Facebook fail with the geotagging - some hoochie mama posts their half naked picture & they get spammed by image boards =\

//

Mail, Phone etc