Garbage up Wantage

So disappointing to see more garbage on Wantage Road. New additions include a household freezer and a Ford Explorer. I could imagine the freezer reinvented as a very deep flower box, composter, or woodbox but am stumped as to what one could do with the ruined vehicle. The cleanup for this misplaced debris is done by the City and paid for by you and me.

So disappointing to see more garbage on Wantage Road. New additions include a household freezer and a Ford Explorer. I could imagine the freezer reinvented as a very deep flower box, composter, or woodbox but am stumped as to what one could do with the ruined vehicle. The cleanup for this misplaced debris is done by the City and paid for by you and me.

Surely if they’re daft enough to dump a vehicle (there will) be a VIN number somewhere on one of the parts, they can stick the guy with the bill for the freezer too.

That Ford Explorer has been there for about 1.5 weeks so far now and every window is smashed out. Should the Rcmp be called to go out there before anything else happens to this vehicle.

Yes I find it really disgusting that people would do this. I would love to see a few cameras go up in a few area’s then we plaster them all over the web.

Yeah it’s been an ongoing issue for sure. ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19164&hilit=wantage+road )

They should be called. The vehicle could have been stolen, trashed and dumped.

I was thinking the same thing. The plates are removed also so you never know what the status of it is.

What does a person do with an old vehicle anyway? If Bill Reid can’t gets parts from it, it has no value whatsoever. What do you do with it?

You pay the auto wreckers to take your car. It’s like taking an appliance to the recycling depot.

I noticed on the city website today that Council has elected to erect a gate on Wantage Road to prevent unwanted dumping by limiting public access. Thanks to those of you who are too cheap and lazy to take your junk to the dump for ruining it for the rest of us. No more drives up to look at the beautiful view.

They are putting a gate up at Wantage? So they are now cutting us off from accessing Mt. Hays?

WTF…this city is going to hell!

They haven’t voted to put up a gate yet, they’re beginning a 60-day consultation period before a decision is made. It’s around 36-minutes into the video of the meeting. But yeah, I think a gate is a horrible idea, it’s great to drive up to Mount Hays on a sunny day or take visitors to Rupert up there.

[quote=“S_Thomas”]

They haven’t voted to put up a gate yet, they’re beginning a 60-day consultation period before a decision is made. It’s around 36-minutes into the video of the meeting. But yeah, I think a gate is a horrible idea, it’s great to drive up to Mount Hays on a sunny day or take visitors to Rupert up there.[/quote]

I haven’t looked at the video but saw a recommendation by staff (pg. 107 of the June 11, 2012 agenda) to have Council approve the installation of a gate to prevent access. I don’t blame them for looking into this as a solution although I hope that they come up with a different one. Thanks for the clarification ST.

Simple Solution is to station a cop there for a week or two parked where the majority of the dumping occurs and issue maximum penalty littering fines. repeat as necessary, I suspect however that the city is not the beneficiary of such fines hence why the rcmp do nothing but traffic patrol. I could be wrong though.

Speak out to prevent locked gate on Wantage. Lets look for another system for that extra garbage. What about putting money into a community cleanup where the City does pick up, like Port Ed? The coupons in the phone book don’t work. But please don’t lock us out of the mountain too. Yes, I understand why, but no “Lock Down on Kaien Island”.
Its bad enough already. No Ridley, no Rushbrooke trail, no 11th to PRB trail, no Diana… and no dog park . And oh yeah, remember the parks with equipment for the kids at George Casey Park, Jamaica Avenue, Frederick Street, Ninth Avenue West?

[quote=“bthedog”]They are putting a gate up at Wantage? So they are now cutting us off from accessing Mt. Hays?

WTF…this city is going to hell![/quote]

Some people just ruin it for all of us

Hahaha…city’s gonna follow the ports lead on shutting every effin thing thats good about living here down…

and sell our asses out to anyone that will put 12 jobs around here…

i thought rupert was a mess after the pulp mill shut down…its way worse as we sit today.

i flew in the other day and was on the bus …thinking what an absolute shit hole we live in !!!..boarded up building…empty lots…

gross

Just to reassure people, we (council) have not voted to do anything with Wantage road and putting up a gate. People have been complaining and the idea of a gate was presented as a possible solution to the problem. We are open to any suggestions that people have and the item was deferred for 60 days so that people could make their feelings known, and let us know what they would like to see us do, or not do. Please let us know what you would like to see done and if you have any solutions that could work to solve the problem.

Just thought I would let you know.

Anna Ashley

Feel free to email me- anna.ashley@princerupert.ca or phone me- 250-624-5492 if you have any suggestions or have input you would like to share. I will also follow this thread so feel free to submit ideas on here as well.

Thanks.