Gangs

I was watching a movie with my friends tonight and it was brought up that there’s a pretty hardcore gang here in Terrace. I mean, there have been gangs here forever, like the “8 ballz” or something, who would try and beat up everyone at the skate park but get their asses kicked. But now, it’s a gang who… when they see someone alone near the arena here, they whistle and they all jump out of the bushes and attack the person.

A coworker of one of my friends was beat up. Then I heard of another guy who was slit and nearly died, and then one of a girl who was beaten, raped, and then tied to a pole and died. This is some crazy stuff. Have I been way out of the loop or were there more gangs like this in Terrace/Rupert/Kitimat?

I know many who’ve been jumped, but they had their wallets stolen… this gang just beats for the sport of it.

When I first moved to Fort St James from the mainland, we went to an ATM late at night and about 10 native guys in their 20s all came out of the dark and crowded around. One pulled out his huge knife and said:
"Hey buddy. Sell you this knife for only $10."
I declinded so he put it in his pocket and pulled out something else.
"Beaded cigarette lighter holder, real deerhide. My old lady made it. Only $5"
My ex said ok (it was pretty cool) and handed the guy a $20. They all asked each other to check their pockets and came up with $15 change among them…
some gang…

Those in our law enforcement community may disagree in the methods, and too often because of budget constraints, limited resources or legal issues, their hands are somewhat tied when it comes to dealing effectively with things like this. But just maybe they would like to participate in some really efffective “community policing”. I am not advocating vigilanteism here, but what do you think about gettting about twenty or so community minded people together and bait these gutless thugs with the gang mentality and surround them all when they make their move on an “unsuspecting victim” catch them in the act, hold them accountable and let them know in no uncertain terms that their behaviour will no longer be tolerated. And press whatever charges seem appropriate, or not. Sounds to me like it wouldn’t be that difficult nor would it be hard to find enough people to participate. You may first want to be very certain this is the work of a ‘gang’ and not just random individual crimes, it may be best to do your homework, And this is only if you care deeply enough and have the time and level of responsibility to participate in and organize something like this. Just some thoughts on the subject, Hmmmm.

I totally agree with what you are saying. We as a society are very passive and allow ourselves to be controlled by these thugs. Police are strectched to their max and court systems hand down very lenient sentences making it hard for law enforcement. The only issue that I have is that warfare may begin in the streets if citizens take on gangs. If enough citizens were to buy into it though I think that it would work. We have the numbers.

I think that what chaos suggested is honorable but dangerous. I think that if citizens want to take such actions, they must first involve the police and work with them to know what legally can be done. For example, is the use of video recording devices legal in such situations? Will judges rule against the people because the thugs were “set-up”? There are so many questions that need answering before taking a course of action. And frustration with the legal system will surely be a factor.

SteveDVS wrote:

[quote]I was watching a movie with my friends tonight and it was brought up that there’s a pretty hardcore gang here in Terrace. I mean, there have been gangs here forever, like the “8 ballz” or something, who would try and beat up everyone at the skate park but get their asses kicked. But now, it’s a gang who… when they see someone alone near the arena here, they whistle and they all jump out of the bushes and attack the person.

A coworker of one of my friends was beat up. Then I heard of another guy who was slit and nearly died, and then one of a girl who was beaten, raped, and then tied to a pole and died. This is some crazy stuff. Have I been way out of the loop or were there more gangs like this in Terrace/Rupert/Kitimat?

I know many who’ve been jumped, but they had their wallets stolen… this gang just beats for the sport of it.

[/quote]

Maybe I should go for a walk there, and if they try something, I have a 9 inch blade!!!