G-Mail > Pop access

Does any one use Gmail and a pop client to access their gmail ? I have tried and it fails, YES i have turned the feature on and set it up for a few different programs but still nothing, Any one use it and have problems ?

i can ping pop.gmail.com it reply’s so it is not blocked. I can access my gmail account, what else could it be.

Humm :frowning:

I use pop on gmail, no problems.  Also on menino.com & hackingthemainframe.com mail (also hosted on gmail).

What’s the error message you’re getting?

Just does this, i have tried it with Mail, and Entourage. It says in the instructions to use pop.gmail.com and ssl for sending mail, however i use shaw’s outgoaing mail server for sending.

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

And this,

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Shaw blocks port 25 don’t they?

Not that i know of, I know they block port 21 sometimes. Plus i don’t need it unblocked if i use shawmail.gv.shawcable.net, as i use shaws outgoing servers to send mail, and gmail to download it.

mail.google.com/support/bin/answ … swer=13275

Apple Mail

1. Enable POP in your Gmail account.
  2. Open Apple Mail.
  3. Click ‘Mail,’ and select ‘Preferences…’

4. Open the ‘Accounts’ tab, and click the plus sign (+) along the bottom to add a new account.

5. Enter ‘pop.gmail.com’ in the ‘Incoming Mail Server:’ field.
  6. Enter your Gmail username (including ‘@gmail.com](mailto:’@gmail.com)’) in the ‘User Name:’ field.
  7. Enter your Gmail password in the ‘Password:’ field.
  8. Select ‘Add Server…’ from the pop-up labeled ‘Outgoing Mail Server,’ and enter ‘smtp.gmail.com’ in the ‘Outgoing Mail Server:’ field.
  9. Enter ‘587’ in the ‘Server port:’ field.
  10. Check the box next to ‘Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).’
  11. Select ‘Password’ next to ‘Authentication:’ and enter your Gmail username (including ‘@gmail.com](mailto:’@gmail.com)) and Gmail password.
  12. Click ‘OK.’
  13. Click ‘Advanced’ and check the box next to ‘Use SSL.’ (The port changes to ‘995.’)

Looks like Apple mail is still trying to use port 110 for pop3.  That’s not right if it’s SSL.  Should be port 995 or something like that.  The error message you sent in the screenshot had port 110.

Yeah, i didn’t use instruction 13, then then i did and every thing worked, i think gmail uses a special port, thats all, Dam i can’t wait to see the new OSX :smile: WOnder if Mail is better than 10.3 mail…

Best mail app for gmail on a Mac:

mailplaneapp.com/

I can’t use it, i got 10.3 :frowning: it requires 10.4 :frowning: BAH!

or um… Run thunderbird on Mac OS X?

I removed my own message, MiG as I saw that he did get it working.  Cool idea using gmail for pop access; I enjoy using Tbird for this.

yeah, i got it working, I like apple mail better than thunderbird tho. When X 105 comes out it will be even nicer, as i have been told :smile:

J’

Someday if Gmail goes IMAP, I think i’ll start using an email client again.

It is nice in 10.5 for sure.  You haven’t tried the latest developer’s release?  That’s the build that is released later this month.

I’ll be very curious to try out X 105 too when it comes out.

Lol, i ment 10.5 but osx 105 would be sweet too i bet.

If you are a developer (or know one), build 9a581 is the GM.  Should be out in 2 weeks or so.

Heh-heh, I knew what you meant, but couldn’t resist:-)  Yeah, 105 will be a great version. :smile: