Full-time City Employees to use Pool/Gymnasium for Free

Well it is obvious, City Hall should do a study to see if this is a connection between potholes and potbellied city staff.

We should also find out how many employees will actually start going to the gym now that it is free, will the city now lose money now that half of the gym member no longer pay? will we lose the gym altogether because there are no staff?

I for one would like to know how many of the people complaining actually go to the gym,  I bet you less than half…

I see your less than half and I raise you another half of the less than half. :astonished:

Awesome.

[attachments over a year old automatically deleted]

Does anyone know if this was a decision by the city?  To just hand out free passes,  or is it a condition asked for by thier union ( CUPE)? To me, if it is what regular union members get in other places, perhaps the city had little choice, and really who do you blame,  the city?  the union? the workers? or do we just drop the issue and see if we can focus some of this passion on the real issues in this town.
I really don’t care,  I do not go to the gym, or the pool.  I have other activities to keep me fit.
Alot of this thread sounds like this,

“I was never getting free gym membership, and never will, and I have never thought about how I could get free membership.”

" oh look, someone is getting something I am not, and have never really wanted, STOMP ON THIER HEADS"

As I stated before, this was not part of the bargaining. Michael Curnes, seeing the reaction from the City employees not included in fire fighters and RCMP, was convinced that giving all Full-time city employees free access would be both beneficial and fair.

I had dropped the cost argument, because people were using the word differently than I had intended. However, now that jesus is on the same page as me, I’ll stand firm.

Yes, the city will not gain as much revenue as it might have–but in the long run we will keep our employees in town and we will keep them healthy enough to function with as few WCB claims as possible. Therefore, it costs nothing.

And as for a suggestion to hold a study… of COURSE they’re going to do that. Every City employee gives their pass number when they enter the pool. Insta-stats right there. Even Lifeguards and Instructors are making sure to give their numbers–they never used to do that.

For me, the simple fact of this issue is that I’ve yet to hear a reason that the City employees shouldn’t get the benefit. Still waiting.

Oh–Bubbasteve–you assumed that this thread was made to complain… It was actually started by me in an effort to sort out valid complaints from stupid ones. I had and still have no intention of complaining about this benefit.