Franchises look to invest in Prince Rupert

Some well-known food franchises like Mr. Mikes, Boston Pizza, Booster Juice, Pita Pit and Little Caesars want to franchise in the community.

cftktv.com/News/story.aspx?ID=2147448

I would love to see Booster Juice and Pita Pit opening here. I think they would do well here since they are different from what’s already here.

Good news. I regularly go to Boston Pizza when in Terrace.

This is a good sign all around as both Mr. Mikes and Boston Pizza has franchises in PR at some point. So their return shows promise. And unless I’m not remembering correctly A&W had a drive in place back in the day.

If only we could go back to the days of when we had a vibrant bowling alley and Tastee Freeze on the same block.

Yes - PR used to have a number of fast food places (Dairy Queen, Boston Pizza, Mr. Mikes, KFC, A&W) that have all exited the scene over the last 30 years.

Its nice that many of these companies are eager to return and will be returning, it shows that things are turning around here.

It sounds good in theory but don’t forget Mr. Mikes has had a franchise op available here for the last 5+ years, the old building at Kwinitza. That has a startup cost of over $750K.We would all like to see franchises come here but aside from the A&W promise for 2015, where are the investors? Pizza Hut couldn’t make it. And I guess not Mr. Mikes either.

I forgot about the KFC which was still there when I moved and the Tastee Freeze. Too bad the bowling alley is gone, I spent alot of time there in my youth. Looking on google street view I’m amazed with what has changed and what is still around.

Yeah, I still miss KFC and Dairy Queen and the bowling alley too. I had some fun times there also. I even miss Pizza Hut.

The Mr.Mikes opportunity could really go anywhere, it is not tied to the old VIA Rail building, which at this point looks like it would millions to renovate properly.

As for Pizza Hut…piss poor management/staff is what lead to its demise here, not due to lack of economy or population base. The franchisee from Terrace pretty much destroyed any chance of success of their restaurant here due to their total lack of care for how it was run and the basement level quality of product they put out on a daily basis.

Any dedicated franchisee could have turned that place into a massive success…but clearly the franchisee was too pre-occupied (perhaps with their restaurant in Terrace or other business ventures).

It was the same story for PR Dairy Queen…poor management decisions and practices lead to its exit as well.

[quote=“bthedog”]

The Mr.Mikes opportunity could really go anywhere, it is not tied to the old VIA Rail building, which at this point looks like it would millions to renovate properly.

As for Pizza Hut…piss poor management/staff is what lead to its demise here, not due to lack of economy or population base. The franchisee from Terrace pretty much destroyed any chance of success of their restaurant here due to their total lack of care for how it was run and the basement level quality of product they put out on a daily basis.

Any dedicated franchisee could have turned that place into a massive success…but clearly the franchisee was too pre-occupied (perhaps with their restaurant in Terrace or other business ventures).

It was the same story for PR Dairy Queen…poor management decisions and practices lead to its exit as well.[/quote]

Pizza Huts have been closing up in alot of places recently. Crap management/staff/product doesn’t help but I’m thinking it’s not just a Rupert thing. Same with DQ and Wendys around here. Meanwhile A&Ws are popping up all over the place. Not sure who’s doing what right and who’s doing what wrong.

If you run a pizza place into the ground then you pretty much should never try to run another business again. Especially a franchise pizza place. labor costs in a large pizza costs maybe 8.00 to make how do you not turn a profit?

The cheese costs damn near that these days. Saputo’s got everyone by the shorthairs.
The franchise costs just ensure the pizza’s extra disgusting

frankly given the number of obese people in the community and myself often fighting an extra few pounds, the lack of fast food franchises is an non issue overall. Pizza Hut here was disgusting arrogant management and terrible staff, and garbage food. I think DQ did well for years than got bad towards the end. Boston Pizza in Terrace is okay but frankly very expensive for the offerings. I think we are well covered for pizza as it is here. Mr. Mikes might be nice, but i don’t feel bad that we don’t have many franchise restaurants. I would rather see decent shops here instead of the high end/ extreme low end mix we have here.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]The cheese costs damn near that these days. Saputo’s got everyone by the shorthairs.
The franchise costs just ensure the pizza’s extra disgusting[/quote]

What is this cheese you speak of? I am pretty sure delivery/takeout pizza is covered with a delicious calcium infused Michelin tire. Seriously though look it up… it costs them next to nothing to make a pizza. The pizza costs a few bucks to make labor in.