Found Needles

You guys are wrong. A needle is the same as anything else dangerous. You absolutely DO just throw on a pair of gloves and throw it in a sharps box.

How do you think people that need to use needles every day deal with them? Like an insulin user, for example.

They know where the needle came from and who it was used on and whether they have any diseases. Throwing the needle in a homemade sharps box, or bringing it into your home until you can buy one where there may or may not be unsuspecting adults/children is not a safe plan.

While it may not be the RCMP’s job to dispose of the needles it sure as fuck is their job to come by and arrest the useless fucking piece of shit human garbage that is carelessly disposing of the needles.

To say its not our job and wash their hands of the issue is careless and lazy.

You gotta be kidding me…

The difference is the insulin user dispose the syringes himself and pose no heath risk to others, while a needle found on the ground was used by someone else who possibly be a drug user who didn’t properly dispose it and pose a bio hazard to others.

Huge difference.

Howbout throwing it into a pop can and throwing it away? It’s not like you’re gonna catch something just from having the needle in your home.

:unamused: depending on the guage of the needle it could easily puncture the sides/bottom of the pop can.  Are you just intentionally being dense to avoid admitting you’re wrong?

edit:

Not to mention the poor homeless person who goes through your garbage looking for cans to return and finds themselves with a surprise, or they bring it to the bottle depot… where the unsuspecting employee gets a nice surprise.

[font=Arial]• . . . . . … . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘â€

How about putting it in a pop bottle and keeping it on top of the fridge?

We’re all adults here, I’m sure we can avoid getting poked by a needle while picking it up… :unamused:

+1

…Are you an idiot?  no, seriously?

I’m sure any agency that deals with used needles would advise against picking up the needle let alone storing it in your home in a pop bottle.

The RCMP SHOULD have not only directed him to the appropriate agency they should have followed up and arrested the fuckstick leaving the needles behind.

We’re not going to agree. I think you’re wrong, and making this very simple situation complicated.

But let’s say we really want to make a phone call. Don’t call the RCMP or the hospital, believe it or not they don’t have a Needle Response Unit. Give the BC Nurses Line a call–811–and ask them for advice, it’s what they’re there for.

I can do it if the problem seems so severe and we do like Rupert usually does if it looks like a big problem it gets swept under the carpet.

and see thats the advice the RCMP should have given him. They then should have followed up by sending an officer over to do some work and find the junky that is putting people in danger.  Instead they were lazy and ‘as useless as tits on a bull’.

[quote=“jesus”]
…Are you an idiot?  no, seriously?

I’m sure any agency that deals with used needles would advise against picking up the needle let alone storing it in your home in a pop bottle. [/quote]

I’m sure too, but I don’t mind someone lazily putting a used needle in a plastic bottle place on top of the fridge, then let Darwin Theory of Evolution do the rest of the work.

As long as it’s in their own home though.

But they didn’t, but as an adult the OP could have figured it out for him or herself.

So they should send an officer from our short-staffed detachment to set up some “Police Line Do Not Cross” tape, hoping that a discarded needle or two will lead them to some dangerous junkie who throws needles into people’s yards with the hope that they’ll step on them and become infected with whatever disease you assume the junkie has? Yea, that’s efficient use of resources.

Well, I’m sure the police are going to use nothing but latex gloves and a sharps container to deal with the problem. So assuming you have access to at least a pair of gloves, it shouldn’t be a big deal to pick up the needles, and take them, the next day, to the health unit or somewhere like that. As long as it’s in a plastic container, because that’s all sharp’s containers are (I know, because my mother used to work in the hospital here) And it can be sealed there should be no problem.

You can’t just leave them there, that’s more dangerous than putting them in a container for christ sakes… Imagine some kid wandering around barefoot, and he steps on it… Christ…

Yes I agree the police should have handled that better, but come on, use your common sense.

Yes that’s clearly what I said. They should have sent SOMEONE to at least take a look around. Short staffed or not junkies carelessly discarding needles is a big enough issue that they should have done something.

Why? By your own admission you think that the disposal is the real issue, not picking the needles up. Where do you think junkies put their needles when they don’t throw them casually on the ground? Correct, a garbage can. That garbage can is then picked up by a garbage disposal worker–and that needle might poke through dangerously.

Do you therefore think that an officer should go around checking out public garbage cans, as well, in the name of public safety?

No, that’s what they get hazard pay for…

There are no needle disposal bins in prince rupert? There are where I live and the junkies use them and if they are caught carelessly discarding needles the rcmp arrest them. Perhaps its time your cash strapped community spends a few bucks to ensure the safety of its citizens.

Disposal is the problem and the junkies not disposing of them properly should be investigated by the RCMP.

R.C.M.P. arresting a junky for incorrect disposal of a needle…I’m not sure our judicial system could enforce this, not alone justify it financially or clutter up the courts…and what is the penalty? A fine? Good luck collecting.