Forgotten project?

I haven’t heard anything recently about the WestPac project on Ridley Island. Does anyone know anything?? The WestPac site seems inactive. :question:

[quote]December 13, 2004
Prince Rupert, BC – WestPac Terminals Inc. announces that it has entered into an
agreement with Prince Rupert Port Authority (PRPA) to develop a liquefied natural gas
(LNG) import terminal and related facilities on PRPA lands at Ridley Island.
The agreement establishes the terms and conditions that will allow WestPac to enter into
a 30 year lease, with exclusive rights for LNG development, for 250 acres of industrial
land on Ridley Island. The agreement also allows for three, ten-year extensions of the
lease.
“This agreement represents a critical milestone in the development of the projectâ€[/quote]

Canadian Press
Published: Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Article tools

VANCOUVER (CP) - The federal government has cancelled the sale of the Ridley Island shipping terminal in Prince Rupert, B.C., to an Ontario company.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced at a caucus meeting in Ottawa on Tuesday that he had signed the papers cancelling the deal with Fortune Minerals Ltd. of London, Ont. The Ridley terminal, built in the 1980s, is an ice-free, deepwater harbour.

It was originally built as a Crown facility by the federal government at a cost to taxpayers of $250 million to load and ship coal from the Quintette and Bullmoose mines at Tumbler Ridge in northeast B.C.

The other strategic reason for its importance is that it is the western terminus for the CN Railway and the closest port in North America to Asia.

Over the last several years, with coal prices in the dumps and Quintette and Bullmoose shut down, the future of Ridley looked bleak.

The previous Liberal government said it wanted to sell the property because it said it was costing taxpayers $500,000 a month in subsidies to operate.

But the future of coal has recently brightened, especially due to China’s booming economy, which caused other companies to show an interest in the way the terminal is operated.

New coal mines are being developed in B.C. and Alberta and Ridley management estimates that coal shipments will increase dramatically over the next several years.

Last year, only 1.3 million tonnes of coal was shipped and the terminal’s capacity is 16 million tonnes.

A group calling itself the Ridley Shippers Coalition and consisting of about five shippers want to run the terminal as a non-profit co-operative. Fortune wanted to run it as a for-profit venture.
© The Canadian Press 2006

Great news!! See… this Harper-Emerson combo is working great for our riding already!! :wink:

And we didn’t even need to elect a crazy gun nut to defend our right to bear arms to protect us from the government that owns Ridley Terminals!

Whew!

It’s exciting and encouraging that in Harpers first days as Prime Minister he dealt with one of our ridings more important issues. It shows that while he was here he listened to the people and paid attention to our issues. It seems that he has an eye on our city and it’s potential as a big part of the Pacific Gateway Project. I know that I will surprise many with what I am going to say next but I think that with someone who is become very well respected as Nathan Cullen has, along with Harpers attention to this area, that it will only be good for our riding.

http://www.maexx.biz/shop/Media/Shop/flip_mint-rasperrygross.jpg

He is just Flip-Flopping around, covering his ass because he has already started going against the grain and what he claimed that he and his party were going to change. I smell liberals in the closets.

Speaking of flip-flops:

http://static.flickr.com/22/96579600_cb418e7426_o.jpg

Zero to cabinet minister = high class callgirl whore?
Fraud on the people who just elected you, just for the extra pay = crack ho’

Ah! Now I get it! Flip Flops!! I was wondering what sandals were doing in this thread.

:wink:

I hear from reliable sources that there was a good possibility that some of the employees at the proposed plant would have had access to a water view while getting paid for it. Just doesn’t make good economic sense, So "Crest"zilla put a stop to the whole damn thing.