Food for thought

Chile, New Zealand, Japan, the ‘ring of fire’ of which we are a part of. If a major earth quake or other natural disaster occurred tomorrow, and our delicate infrastructure was severed, ( roads, rail lines, power, natural gas etc. ) Within less than two days every single store shelf in this town will be empty. People panic, we have seen this before and very recently with a simple gas line and power outage, and road closures.

Our provincial emergency program planners recommend that each and every home and family have a minimum of seventy two hours of food and other necessary supplies on hand. How many of you have this? How many of you could feed yourselves and your families for three or four days? What if it was a major catastrophic event that effected a much wider area and it takes weeks or months for any significant help? how many of you could take care of yourselves and families for more than a few days?

I strongly encourage all of you to think about this a little bit more and any of you with young children, families and others to give it even more consideration. The reality of life in a geographically isolated place like this, if / when the shit hits the fan, we are all a very long way from any real help, who will you rely on if not yourself. You need to have more in your cupboards and pantries than you think, stock up and be ready.

No, I am not chicken little, and the sky is not falling, I just hate to see my / our community, friends and families suffer if something where to happen just because they weren’t ready. Like the old boy scout motto says, " Be Prepared". I’m just saying…food for thought.

Yes. Food for thought indeed! I’ve put off preparation for an earth quake for far too long. I am going to start looking into this and lay away 72 hours worth of food, water, and emergency supplies.

In keeping with your theme of the day, something to look over from the Globe and Mail

theglobeandmail.com/news/nat … clecontent

And the Province looks back to 1964

theprovince.com/news/Remembe … story.html

Do you live in rupert?
Why worry about water ?
Its still going to rain here !!

[quote=“crip75”]Do you live in rupert?
Why worry about water ?
Its still going to rain here !![/quote]

Well…honestly the last thing I want to be doing after an earth quake is sucking water out of puddles in my back yard or gathering rain water in buckets…but that is just me. :smile:

Absolutely scary when you think of how BC will make out when the predicted big one hits near Vancouver. We have patients in Tim Hortons already with everything running as smooth as it can. Buildings will come tumbling down all over the place. Read online earlier , "Vancouver General Hospital’s Jimmy Pattison Pavilion, opened in 2003, is built to withstand a magnitude seven earthquake, said UBC Prof. Carlos Ventura.
St. Paul’s Hospital in downtown Vancouver, built 100 years ago, is not expected to survive a tremor of even that size."
One would think having a major secondary port in Prince Rupert not in such a high risk zone might be a good idea. The geography of Prince Rupert makes it very difficult for a tsaunami to have much effect here, Vancouver on the other hand is at the end of a relatively shallow inlet.

I agree with most of your post. however I don’t know what map or chart you were looking at but you better look again.?
If you live anywhere in the lower mainland or greater Vancouver area even a magnitude 6 or 7 shaker and all the low lying communities at the mouth of the Fraser River, Richmond, Delta, etc. are in severe danger of simply disappearing into the river estuary which is at or below existing sea level, and built on nothing but sand.

Also numerous reports coming out of Japan, even from NHK, Japan’s national media. Great many people already running out of everything, food, water, toiletries, medicines, etc. etc. and they have a lot more help, a lot closer to them.
Just to reinforce the point of my original post was for every home and family to have a 72 hour supply of these essentials MINIMUM. ( PEP or the Provincial Emergency Program recommendations. )
I strongly recommend 3 or 4 times this or more, as geographically, any significant help is much further away for us here.
Please, just think of your families and be prepared.

[quote=“chaos”]

I agree with most of your post. however I don’t know what map or chart you were looking at but you better look again.?
If you live anywhere in the lower mainland or greater Vancouver area even a magnitude 6 or 7 shaker and all the low lying communities at the mouth of the Fraser River, Richmond, Delta, etc. are in severe danger of simply disappearing into the river estuary which is at or below existing sea level, and built on nothing but sand.

Also numerous reports coming out of Japan, even from NHK, Japan’s national media. Great many people already running out of everything, food, water, toiletries, medicines, etc. etc. and they have a lot more help, a lot closer to them.
Just to reinforce the point of my original post was for every home and family to have a 72 hour supply of these essentials MINIMUM. ( PEP or the Provincial Emergency Program recommendations. )
I strongly recommend 3 or 4 times this or more, as geographically, any significant help is much further away for us here.
Please, just think of your families and be prepared.[/quote]

Really? ever heard of Burrard Inlet?

Chookie, Again, look at a map dude, Vancouver is NOT a the end of Burrard inlet, but at the mouth of it. Anyway a now moot point in relation to the main point of both our posts.