Flurry of new businesses

If this year has been any indication, it looks like the downtown economy is beginning to see a major turnaround.

Opened in 2013:
-The Argosy
-Stiles Place Seafood & Grill
-Cow Bay Cafe (re-design)
-Northern Industrial Sales
-MacArthy GM
-Fields

Opening Soon/In Progress:
-Kixs Shoes
-Dolly’s Fish Market (expansion)
-Fukasaku (Sushi/Seafood House)
-The Wheelhouse Brewing Company
-Carter’s Jewellers
-Mystery Restaurant next to Hollywood Video

Still on the Horizon:
-A&W (thenorthernview.com/eedition … 1070456925)
-Rest Inn Motel (terracestandard.com/business/209791681.html)
-Hotel/Condo Development (thenorthernview.com/news/214001851.html)

I would say that is some pretty positive economic activity in one year.

Are there any good bets to see who will close first due to lack of clients getting fed up after opening ? Just a question and not trying rto be negative but it seems that they come into the community but shutdown quicker than it took to do the paper work . But good luck to the operation who hangs in .

[quote=“bthedog”]If this year has been any indication, it looks like the downtown economy is beginning to see a major turnaround.

Opened in 2013:
-The Argosy
-Stiles Place Seafood & Grill
-Cow Bay Cafe (re-design)
-Northern Industrial Sales
-MacArthy GM
-Fields

Opening Soon/In Progress:
-Kixs Shoes
-Dolly’s Fish Market (expansion)
-Fukasaku (Sushi/Seafood House)
-The Wheelhouse Brewing Company
-Carter’s Jewellers
-Mystery Restaurant next to Hollywood Video

I don’t want to appear a downer but looking at your list a few of those listed are existing businesses or replacing ones that were previously there.

McCarthy (Sherman)
Cow Bay (different owners)
NIS has been here for years
Fields (old store closed in 2012)
Dolly’s is just expanding
Carter’s (replacing Mansons) I’ve heard stories about the one in Terrace.

Hoping things succeed for the new ones opening up. Its hard for independent businesses to do well because their prices are usually higher than a franchise. Some do well, some don’t.[/quote]

There’s also a couple of businesses:

Coastal Business Resource Centre in the previous Tricorp location, owned by Metlakatla Development Corporation and offers office space and boardroom rental 

McEllaney Engineering has returned with 20+ staff and coincidentally the space they left years ago on 2nd Avenue West had been upgraded and available.

Optometry Clinic on 3rd Avenue West is reopening.  Heard that Barlow had returned to his previous location, but don't know if it is him or another optometrist.

[quote=“bthedog”]
I would say that is some pretty positive economic activity in one year.[/quote]

Agreed! Very good news indeed!

Yet another new business opening in October:

Coastal Fibres in Cow Bay - northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … s-has.html

Also an update on A&W - thenorthernview.com/news/228788651.html

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]

The alternative is that NOTHING could have come in to replace these businesses. Cow Bay Cafe could have just closed their doors, NIS could have not returned to the city, nothing could have replaced Manson’s, Sherman GM could have just closed down…obviously there is enough economic activity to warrant Fields re-entering the PR economy (which before did not include WalMart or Dollarama), for Dolly’s to expand, for NIS to come back to the city, for Carter’s to replace Manson’s, for new owners to take over Cow Bay Cafe…the alternative to all of that is just plain closure or no expansion.

I think there has been a significant increase in the amount of economic activity in Prince Rupert, and in the surrounding region:

a) There are always going to be businesses closing and other businesses opening to take their place in the market place. It is called Capitalist Economy. When reflecting on the closure of stores in Prince Rupert, it is not only a result of a worsening economy. One needs to consider the impact of a changed economy: for example: on-line shopping, the increase in stores in Terrace, and the installation of our own Walmart in Prince Rupert.

b) By 2007 or 2008 most of the cars in this town were at least 3 - 4 years old. In around 2010, I started noticing that people were driving new vehicles. If you look around today, most of the cars on the road in Prince Rupert are less than 2-3 years old. Obviously some folks are earning pretty good wages.

c) There are ebbs and flows, but a lot more building and housing renovations have occurred in the past few years 2009 - 2013 than in the similar previous period (2003 - 2009).

d) Overall, if the seasonal fishing industry is not considered, I suspect that there has been a significant net increase in the number of people employed in Prince Rupert. I am not considering the fishing industry because while it is an extremely important industry, it can fluctuate greatly from year to year.

The major employers in this town are: School District, Hospital, City, Port Authority, Ridley Terminals, Mahre, Candian Border Services and Prince Rupert Grain. I believe that the School District (due to declining enrolment), Hospital (outsourcing), City (less revenue) have all lost a few employees. On the other hand, I also believe that the Port Authority, Ridley Terminals, Mahre, Canadian Border Services have significantly increased the number of their employees. I have no idea of what is happening at PRG. In any case, it would be interesting to if someone could get these employers to share with the community. Perhaps a local newspaper or radio reporter could spend some time on this.

e) Most people are employed by businesses which have fewer than 25 employees. I expect that many local employers have hired people in the last couple of years. And, I suspect that more people would be hired if they had the skill sets that employers are requiring. Again it would be interesting if a survey of local businesses was taken to find out the net increase or decrease in employees during the past 8 years.

So, thanks for letting me vent!

What is the Argosy?

Used, second hand fine furniture and collectibles! Beautiful store just up from Overwaitea before Sunset Villa. They have a Facebook page also !!

And a slowly expanding website . . . theargosy.ca.

:smile: