Flu Shot?

But they’ll soon be old, fat, and bitchy… 15-20 years later…  ಥ_ಥ [size=1][font=Times New Roman]Why heaven? Why?[/font][/size]

:unamused: lol.

It’s true, sadly.

Old, fat, and (flamboyantly) happy male nurses are the worst though…

Does anyone know what’s in a flu shot?

:smiley:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWfCnjnShnM

The flu shot contains a dead version of the target influenza virus.  Your body recognizes the injection as a foreign body, and produces the appropriate antibodies.  

Next time it sees the same virus (when you’re infected with the live version of the virus), your body already recognizes it and can fight the infection quicker.

Contrary to myths, the flu shot does not contain a live virus – it cannot reproduce in your body, and it cannot give you the flu.

Check “how stuff works”:  http://health.howstuffworks.com/flu6.htm

What else though?

Why don’t you go ahead and tell us? 

From the FDA website

[quote]
------------------------DOSAGE FORMS AND STRENGTHS---------------------
Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent Vaccine, a sterile suspension for intramuscular injection, is supplied in two presentations:
•
0.5 mL preservative-free, single-dose, pre-filled syringe. (3, 11)
• 5 mL multi-dose vial containing ten doses. Thimerosal, a mercury derivative, is added as a preservative; each 0.5 mL dose contains 24.5 micrograms (mcg) of mercury. (3, 11)[/quote]

also from
the FDA website

The mercury derivative is a preservative added to the multi-dose vial.  I guess it is more economical to have multi-dose vials then single-dose pre-filled syringes.  But using a multi-dose vial could lead to contamination.  The preservative is added to kill any germs that could enter the dose.

So there is a mercury compound in flu vaccines (about 25 mg per dose).  It seems that health authorities in the US and Canada don’t see this as posing any risks as it degrades into ethylmercury,which apparently leaves the body much faster than it’s relative, methylmercury.  Some say that the substance in vaccines is linked to autism but, so far, no reliable scientific experiment has proven this. 

It is hard to find the actual truth between what the conspiracy theorist say and the pharmaceutical industry’s released information. 
One hopes that the Health Canada, the FDA in the US and the WHO strive to remain objective when testing substances for toxicity.

It’s important to note the difference between Ethylmercury C2H5Hg+ and Methylmercury [CH3Hg]+ as well.  They aren’t the same compound.

Ethylmercury has been found not the bioaccumulate, unlike Methylmercury.  Guess which one is the evil one? Guess which one is the preservative?  Of course, if you don’t know the difference, you’re bound to think that all mercury is the same, right?  And you hear that word and you jump to the obvious conclusion. 

High school chemistry has a lot of examples of compounds that are similar that have very different physical manifestations.  Think about the components of salt, for example.

Anyway, you could always ask for a flu shot without the preservative, of course.  More expensive, and doesn’t last as long, but if it makes you feel better about it, no problem.

Just had to quote this, hopefully not to derail, but to add to the discussion.

The MMR vaccine in California has been Thiomersal-free for years now (thanks to the paranoia of certain Hollywood personalities).  The removal of Thiomersal has had zero influence on Autism rates.  So there’s clearly no link.

Today on the BBC site: news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8268302.stm - “Autism rates back MMR jab safety.”   Since the Autism rates are the same in adults and children, you can logically conclude that both MMR and Thiomersal have no effect on the rate of Autism.  Both are relatively recent introductions.  So there’s clearly no link there either.

[quote=“BigThumb”]
So there is a mercury compound in flu vaccines (about 25 mg per dose). [/quote]

I really doubt the 25mg per dose figure.  You sure about that?

I think it was just mistyped by BigThumb.  The quote in his post says that the thimerosal content is 24.5 micrograms per dose.

Yes , that was mistyped.

Does that mean it is going to hurt worse? After all my years out there I still hate needles. I sometimes try what my friend Angus used to tell me," As soon as you see it close to your skin, scream", Which of course I did in the nurses office and she told me to shutup and she poked me. When I walked out into the waiting room half of the people looked scared to go in.  Lol…

No, there’s always been mercury in flu shots. It’s a cheap preservative…

Just to be clear again, it’s not mercury (hg).  It’s ethylmercury (C2H5Hg+).  They are not the same thing.  Ethylmercury doesn’t build up like methymercury or mercury does.

It’s not accurate to call it mercury.  You don’t complain that they put chlorine on your fries at McDonald’s, do you? 

No MIG, I don’t, because It’s not suggested I eat McDonalds fries.

The flu shot, however, especially the H1N1 shot, is being forced on alot of people. In the states for sure, not sure how much it is here. To the point where you could get fired if you refuse it.

So…

The point I was making is that you don’t complain about the chlorine in your food, do you?  What’s the last thing that you ate?  Chances are it had Sodium Chloride in it, but you didn’t complain about it, because it wasn’t in the poisonous or explosive forms.

Same with ethylmercury.  It’s not in the mercury or methylmercury form.

Yet you keep calling it mercury.

I totally get that you don’t want a flu shot for your own reasons (you still haven’t explained those reasons, by the way – social?  political?).  Nobody is disputing that.  But if you’re trying to convince others no to get one, at least be accurate, ok?  It’s not mercury, no more than you’re eating chlorine-soaked food.

She wont get a flu shot because the establishment is using them to control people’s minds to hide the fact aliens visited Earth 60 years ago and now control every major government on earth and will soon enslave all humanity for testing and use in sadistic rituals designed to resurrect Jim Varney.

Just diabolical.